Complaint Review: Nerd-i.com

• Reported By: Unhappy_Customer — Illinois United States of America
Nerd-i.com
14 Hanover St, 3rd Floor Internet United States of America

Nerd-i.com Staff: Portrays themselves as Microsoft Internet, Internet

Today I received a phone call from a "David Smith" (aka. Chandrika Atul Pachauri or Vik Singh) stating that my computer has been sending out Microsoft Service Issues.  They had requested that I go to a sight called www.ammyy.com and allow them to access my computer.  They further stated that they are a Microsoft Certified Technical Support company that addresses these issues.

To play along with their game, I allowed them to have remote access on my computer.  David went on to open my Component Service to note that I have over 8k "driver" & "Service" errors that are sending our alerts to Microsoft and need to be addressed. He then moved onto opening the msconfig file to show that I had too many services turned off.  Note, I did this on purpose because I prefer to turn on my system services manually to expedite my boot-up. David then stated that I needed to give them permission to "fix" my computer by signing up at nerd-i.com and pay their "one time fee" to "fix" my computer issues.  He further stated that they would fix future issues on my computer as long as I still owned the computer.

Unbeknownst to him, I was on another computer checking out nerd-i.com's credentials. I find no information regarding their direct relationship to the MS's Support Team.  Can you please find out if they are truly a "Microsoft" Tech Support Company?  If there are non-computer literate folks out there, they need to be aware of this type of "service".

To validate my theory that they were a scam, I stated that if there were issues, I would be more than qualified to reformat my computer and re-install my operating system without any issues. His rebuttal was that my drivers would then be required to be re-installed and that was part of their service when cleaning up the computer.  When I told him I had no problem reinstalling my drivers because I had a backup of all my applications and my registry, he began to recede on his sales pitch.  Furthermore, when you have an Indian accent and you name yourself "David Smith", that's just plain dumb.
Thanks for your time and understanding.
Best regards,
Fiona

Here is their website: https://www.nerd-i.com/index.htm
Please review this site for further reference:

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/05/2012 11:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Nerd-icom/internet/Nerd-icom-Staff-Portrays-themselves-as-Microsoft-Internet-Internet-848887. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Nerd-i.com