Complaint Review: Net Zero

• Submitted: Sat, November 05, 2011
  • Updated: Sun, November 06, 2011

• Reported By: Cindy — North Las Vegas Nevada United States of America
Net Zero

Net Zero United Online Automatic Download of Destktop Icon Advertisement Without My Knowledge or Permission Internet

*Consumer Comment: Good for you

*Author of original report: Update

I turned on my computer this morning and found NetZero had downloaded and embedded an icon on my desktop, which advertised one month free service that included links to "get started".

The only thing I have done on my computer lately is order some DVD movies from Amazon - but I am not aware of authorizing or granting permission to any company to install/download advertisement icons on my computer during this process!

Is this the wave of the future? Companies just downloading advertisements on to your hard drive/desktop if you dare go online? Who gave NetZero permission to install their crap on my computer? Is NetZero working with another company to do this without browser/consumer knowledge? Is this unauthorized download a violation of my personal privacy? How did they get in and how do I stop them or anyone else from doing this again?

While I may not have been "ripped off" financially yet, I decided to file a complaint because of the Ripoff Reports discussions about "bad business" practices and who knows, maybe other people turned on their computer this morning to find the same icon on their computer too.

Also, after reading about some of the highly aggressive tactics used on other consumers by NetZero on the Ripoff Report, I am only left to wonder; now that they have embedded themselves on my computer and have my IP address in their database, will I also get to see automatic lifetime charges for services I never signed up for and/or spend countless hours trying to stop their intrusions and/or harassment?

Finally, because I have no idea who to turn to or who might be the responsible legal agency to file a complaint with or to find out if this is even legal, I wanted to have a record filed SOMEWHERE as to when NetZero planted themselves into my computer.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2011 12:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Net-Zero/internet/Net-Zero-United-Online-Automatic-Download-of-Destktop-Icon-Advertisement-Without-My-Knowle-795402. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Net Zero

Good for you

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

There are not many people with enough integrity to admit they made a mistake.

You are not an idiot, just one of us regular folks who make mistakes and are mature enough to admit it.

Thanks, there may be hope for human kind yet.

Update

AUTHOR: Cindy - (United States of America)

After being shocked to find a NetZero advertisement icon embedded on my computer desktop yesterday, today I photographed it (because it would not print out either) in order to have records before I deleted it. After this, I went into the "Properties" portion of the ad and discovered it had been downloaded/embedded via a new Program I installed. In other words, I'm an idiot.....NetZero did NOT download an icon without my permission; I just didn't realize it was part of the new Program. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.....