Complaint Review: NetSpend

• Submitted: Thu, February 28, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, March 07, 2013

• Reported By: tlsafir — Fairbanks Alaska United States of America
NetSpend
HQ supposedly Austin Texas, operates outside US. Nationwide United States of America

NetSpend NetSpend Stole tax return, has my social security number, no supervisor to speak to, operates outside the US. Internet, Nationwide

*Author of original report: Netspend Scam: Innapropriate and Illegal

*UPDATE Employee: NetSpend

Online scam, Nationwide.

I used Turbotax and filed for my return. One of the options was to get a netspend card.

They said I would get my card in the mail
I never received such a card.

I also got an alert saying my balance was transferred to the card - of significantly less than what my tax return was.

Finally I called the company. Someone with an accent answered, I immediately became suspicious. I asked where the call was taking place, and the woman refused to answer. She would only say "HQ is in Austin, Texas". After 10 minutes of insisting where she was from, she hung on me.

I called back immediately, the next rep had no problem telling me she was from the Philippines. However, when I promptly asked to speak to a supervisor, she refused. She wanted to know my card number, and I didn't have one. She then hung up on me.

Again, I called back, and I got a third representative. I should note that the women's voices sounded exactly the same, I suspected each time I spoke to the sane person. I asked, and she denied this. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and they said that a supervisor is not available. Then they asked for my social security number.

That was when I became aware that someone outside the US had my social security number and could probably steal my identity from this.

I refused to give my number. They kept telling me there is no supervisor and hanging up on me, or transferring me and having me continuously on hold. They said there is no one in the United States to talk to. I continued these calls to the next day. One representative tried to tell me he was in the US, in Texas. I said "you are lying to me, I can her your accent". Then he said, "ok I will transfer you to someone in the US". He then hung up on me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2013 02:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NetSpend/nationwide/NetSpend-NetSpend-Stole-tax-return-has-my-social-security-number-no-supervisor-to-speak-1021684. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NetSpend

Netspend Scam: Innapropriate and Illegal

AUTHOR: tlsafir - (United States of America)

Your response is inappropriate and trying to mask your inappropriate and illegal practices as a legitimate business, which it most certainly is not.

Netspend should not have my social security number to begin with. You don't need to reprimand any customer service employees because they are doing exactly what you have trained them to do. That is, avoid admitting that this operation is begin run overseas, and to keep clients from talking to anyone who can be held responsible and accountable for the theft and identity stealing.

This is a scam. I do not want your help. I do not want your card. I want all of my tax return back, every single penny of my 238 dollars, and I want my personal information permanently removed from your database. And I want your overseas operation shut down, and I want to speak to someone in the united states who is responsible for this scam.

So help me god, if anyone files a lawsuit, I will testify and take great pleasure in bringing you to justice.

NetSpend

AUTHOR: NetSpend Corporation - (United States of America)

We understand your concerns regarding your personal information and we apologize for the problems you have experienced.

We can assure you that your account security is very important to us and that your identity information is protected.  This information is required in order to verify your identity and approve your account.

We would appreciate the opportunity to address the agents you spoke with and request that you send your information to feedback@netspend.com.