Complaint Review: Netflix

• Updated: Wed, September 25, 2002

• Reported By:Macon GA
Netflix
www.netflix.com , U.S.A.

Netflix ripoff fraudulent billing harasses people

*Consumer Suggestion: Happy Netflix Customer

*Consumer Suggestion: Your CC# and e-mail may have been stolen

This company fraudently obtained my credit card number and started charging me for monthly service. I didn't subscribe and when I called them they refused to take the charges off.

They got my e-mail address because when I called to cancel the account that I supposedly had-the one I never created-I was told by them to try to log on. I had no account so I was guessing what the logon information would be. They were picking this information up on their end to use to send me e-mails and now they are harrassing me-constantly sending me e-mail telling me that I need to complete my registration.

This company may be considered on the up and up; but I don't really know how they can go to sleep at night knowing that they have stolen from people the way that they do.

Mandy
Macon, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/23/2002 04:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Netflix//Netflix-ripoff-fraudulent-billing-harasses-people-30869. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Netflix

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Happy Netflix Customer

AUTHOR: Al - ()

I've been a netflix member for over 1 year and haven't had any problems, HOWEVER, there are several security issues with a certain web browser and associated web servers that may lead to the problem apparent. I have told dozens of people about netflix and so far only one problem has arrisen.

When I told my boss about the service, his wife signed up (using their bank check card). During this transaction someone 'captured' his info and the NEXT DAY over $900 in foriegn (as in Europe) charges appeared on his bank account. This was directly attributed to a FLAW IN INTERNET EXPLORER Secure Socket Layer (SSL), where you see the 'lock' icon on the status bar of your browser. This flaw was documented and has a patch (a la Windows Update).

It specifically mentions that credit card numbers and other information can be captured due to this flaw. If you have not used your credit card online, then you may need to be more careful where you do business.

If any place you do business at still uses hand swiped receipts with a machine for authorization, encourage them to get a printer (Fed law now requires that the first 12 digits of a cc number must be obscured on the printed receipt for swiped cards). There are so many ways to get your credit card information it isn't funny. If you file an affidavit of fraud with your credit card company and close out the card, your issues with netflix should be taken care of.

"Always be Informed"

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Your CC# and e-mail may have been stolen

AUTHOR: Greti - ()

It's possible that your credit card number and e-mail was used without your authorization -- maybe by a housemate or child or whatever. I mean, where are the DVDs being delivered? I've generally found NetFlix customer service to be pretty understanding about matters about this, so I'm sure this can be resolved with a bit of patience.