Complaint Review: Netspend Corporation

• Updated: Wed, July 13, 2011

• Reported By: Allan — Toledo Ohio United States of America
Netspend Corporation
701 Brazos St. #1200 Austin, Texas United States of America

Netspend Corporation Told me a certain fee did not apply to my account, then charged the fee anyway. Austin, Texas

I contacted Netspend on June 3, 2011 about a proposed change that I thought might affect my card, and here is their reply.
Dear Allan,

Thank you for your feedback.

We apologize for the fees associated with your account. Unfortunately, these fees are
charged due the services we offer with the card. Currently, you are on
the Pay As You Go plan which charges 1.00 for every credit and 2.00 for
every debit transaction. The extra .50 cent fee does not apply to this
account. We also offer a Fee Advantage plan that will waive these
credit and debit transaction fees for 9.95 a month (ATM fees, load fee,
balance inquiry, etc. would still apply.) If you would like to sign up
for this, please call us or go online under the "My Account" tab.

If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please do not hesitate
to contact us via email or call customer service at 1-86-NetSpend
(1-866-387-7363).

Thank for you for choosing NetSpend.

Travis
Customer Care Specialist

Notice that Travis told me that the .50 cent fee increase did not apply to my account.
Yesterday I used my card and I discovered that the charge was added to my normal $1.00 fee,
so I contacted them and was informed the following:

I am sorry that you do not like our fee plans.

Please be advised that we are a business and any fee that we are charging is in accordance to the service that we are providing.

They did not explain anything, or tell me why the fee was placed on my account despite what Travis told me.

Netspend is ripping off consumers with these exorbitant fees, and to make matters worse, these fees were not supposed to even apply to my account in the first place. Consumer Beware!
The company did not used to be that way, suddenly their corporate greed seems to be taking over.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/13/2011 02:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Netspend-Corporation/Austin-Texas-78768-2136/Netspend-Corporation-Told-me-a-certain-fee-did-not-apply-to-my-account-then-charged-the-752230. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Netspend Corporation