screen

• Updated: Tue, March 05, 2013

• Reported By: Kara — Ogden Utah United States of America
Netspend
PO Box 2136 Austin, Texas United States of America

Netspend Metabank Bancorp Bank Tax Return Thieves!!! in the name of "Security" Austin , Texas

*UPDATE Employee: NetSpend

*Author of original report: DONE EVERYTHING THEY ASK FOR STILL WON"T RELASE FUNDS!!

I, like some of the other people on here that I am noticing reports from filed my taxes with Turbo Tax. I have used them for the last 3 years and I have always had a good experience and I love saving money!
This year it gave the option of getting your refund deposited onto a Netspend Prepaid debit card. I thought this was a good idea because it meant getting my money sooner. I filed my taxes on Jan 31st, I received my Netspend card about 9 days later. I activated the card and everything was good to go! on Febuary 28th my refund was deposited onto the card. A little under 8000 dollars was deposited! Yay!

First thing I did was pay off a student loan that I had been wanting to pay off for a while. So I made an over the phone payment to the U.S goverment in the amount of 440 dollars and then headed off to Super Target to get the kids some bikes. 2 of the kids found what they were looking for so we made the purchase, around 300 dollars. Then off to Toys R Us my daughter found a bike she loved. She rode it around the store and then up to the checkstand. We swiped to the card, DECLINED! what??? this must be some mistake I thought... there's 7 grand on there! So I call Netspend and the man tells me that the "Security Department" has put a hold on my card due to some suspiciaous spending. What suspicious spending? Was it the payment I made to the goverment or was it Super target 3 miles from my home? Ok... So I am thinking I will verify the transactions and be on my way. NOT! He tells me that I need to send in my Social Security Card, a State Issued picture ID, and a piece of mail that is less than 30 days old. I am pretty upset at this point! This is ridiculous! I ask him so once I send this in when am I going to have access to MY money?? His response was " Well.... It's Friday and they close at 4:30 P.M Central Standard Time and they won't open until Monday at 8:00 AM AND then once they start processing it will take 24 to 72 hours to lift the hold" WTF!?!?!? OHH!! I am PISSED now!!! Who the hell are these people to cut me off from MY OWN DAMN money?! So I leave the store with my daughter in tears because we can't purchase the bike.

I do not feel comfortable faxing in my SSN so I check to SSA's website where it does state that no one should ask you for your SS card as a form of identification.  I faxed in every thing they asked for except the Social Security Card. I then called and spoke with someone in the "security" department and told her how I felt. Her response was " Too bad. It's required and if you don't send it in then we will just send your tax return back to the IRS" I then asked to speak to a supervisor or a manager and I was told that he was out of the office. I spoke with a lawyer who told me that he could file an "Injunction" and although it would take about a week it would be a court order and it would force them to release the funds. He told me that most likely if they are doing this to a lot of people ( WHICH THEY ARE!) it's most likely because of the interest they gain from money in their possesion! It makes sense right!? Think about it! Anyways... My lawyer said this would be a great time for a class action suite against these crooks! Anyone with me?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/04/2013 06:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Netspend/Austin-Texas-78768/Netspend-Metabank-Bancorp-Bank-Tax-Return-Thieves-in-the-name-of-Security-Austin-T-1023513. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Netspend

NetSpend

AUTHOR: NetSpend Corporation - (United States of America)

We understand your frustration and apologize for the problems you have encountered with the block on your account.  We understand that this can be an inconvenience, but we can assure you that it is for the security of your account.

Please send your information to feedback@netspend.com and we will be happy to assist you with this.

We look forward to speaking with you and we should be able to get this resolved quickly.

NetSpend

DONE EVERYTHING THEY ASK FOR STILL WON"T RELASE FUNDS!!

AUTHOR: KaraJo - (United States of America)

It is now Tuesday March 5th 2013, my account has now been on hold for 5 days. I spent 3 hours in the Social Security Administration's office I got a receipt showing my social security number and that I applied for a card. It states that my number does match my name. it has a SSA time stamp on it.

24 hours after I send this  I receive an email from Netspend stating that this is NOT SUFFICIENT. AFTER I spoke with someone yesterday in the security department and was told that YES IT WAS INDEED SUFFICIENT!! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?!?!?!

It's a feeling of hopelessness. No matter what you do or where you turn. nothing.

I am on hold for hours and always told that a supervisor is not available!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME GET MY MONEY BACK!!! THIS IS SO WRONG!!! $8000.00 GONE!!!!

I have contacted the FDIC but it may take up to 30 days for help