Complaint Review: Netspend

• Submitted: Fri, February 08, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, February 27, 2013

• Reported By: Jette — Warren Ohio United States of America
Netspend

Netspend Bank Corp, Paypal, Metabank Will steal your money and your identity! Internet

*Consumer Comment: Blame Paypal for this one

*Consumer Comment: Blame Paypal not Netspend

*UPDATE Employee: NetSpend

My husband and I have an account with Netspend via Paypal. We decided to get our tax refund put on our cards. After submitting to numerous "checks" (background, credit, history.. outrageous personal questions) our refund was deposited onto our cards on 2/6/2013. On 2/7/2013, after using some of the money to pay bills online, we decided to take our son out for a treat. Long story short, our card was declined. We were even able to pull up the website on our cell phone and show the cashier that we had much, much more than what our bill was in our account, but it was still getting declined. After 6 hours on the phone with them last night, we were requested to send in our ID's, our Social Security cards, utility bills and a W2 for each of us. We complied immediately under the assumption that if we did so, we would have our funds released back to us.

First off, they won't tell you WHY there's a hold on your account. Second off, good luck on ever getting someone that speaks English. Third, they will tell you that you cannot be transferred anywhere, that they do not have any contact information for any other departments and that they are unable to do anything for you other than submit an email to some mysterious person they will claim they cannot name in regards to "your probrem." You'll be promised callbacks, be placed on hold for literally hours on end, just to get nowhere. I was told by 3 different supervisors that once I sent these documents in that I would have my funds released back to me between 6-8 hours from the time they are sent. I sent the documents at 7:30pm EST.

At 9am this morning, my account was still saying there was an error and to call in, so I did. I have been on the phone with them ever since. (It is now 5:56pm EST) and not only have I been hung up on, I've been lied to over and over.. they literally drained the fight out of me. I had $3800 left in my account that they are now telling me may take up to 45 days to have access to again. First it was 6-8 hours, then it went to 48 hours, then 48 business hours, then 4 business days plus an additional 10 business days for them to make their decision, then I was told 7-10 business days and an additional 10  business days for them to make their decision. When I asked if I would have my money back by march, I was laughed at, then she replied with "I don't want to lie to you and I would be lying to you if I told you yes, that I think so." I was then placed on hold (without being told) until my phone died - which for the record, was 1 hour, 46 minutes and 27 seconds.

I have documented everyone's fake names and their fake ID numbers and I'm ready to chalk it up as 2 days of my life I will never get back.. one hell of an embarassing night out with my family and $3800 to some &*#& in the Phillipines.. not to mention identity theft. We learned after our several hour long talk last night that this company is currently involved in a class action lawsuit for doing this very same thing to over 7,000 families since 2007 and a total of 324 JUST this year, so far. Please, please, please, do NOT use this company!!!!! Will post again if/when anything changes. Good luck to all of you unfortunate Netspend users out there.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/08/2013 04:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Netspend/internet/Netspend-Bank-Corp-Paypal-Metabank-Will-steal-your-money-and-your-identity-Internet-1011078. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Netspend

AUTHOR: NetSpend Corporation - (United States of America)

We understand that there has been a block placed on your account.  We can assure you that these blocks are meant to protect your account, but we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

We would also like to make sure that the agents you spoke with are addressed.  Please send your information to [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you with this.

Blame Paypal for this one

AUTHOR: phillywiseguy - (United States of America)

This sounds more like an error on Pay Pals part. If I where to Review NetSpend over Greendont I actually prefer Netspend over greendot as I have been using both for years. With Greendot if I don't use my card or keep a balance on it the monthly fees send me negative. With netspend you only incur small fees as you go say $1. pin fees or $2.00 atm fees. Plus they have free direct deposit so you can get your refund or weekly check faster and only pay an atm fee.

Another think I like about Netspend is they have a $20 per referral program. You can earn unlimited $20 referrals, and they pay you an immediate $20 when you order a free netspend card and load $40.

1. Go here NetSpend Refer A Friend  . If you are asked to enter a referral code, use 7320469782.

2. Activate the NetSpend Prepaid MasterCard card you ordered once you receive it in the mail.

3. ADD AT LEAST $40.00 to your NetSpend Prepaid MasterCard account to activate AND GET A $20 BONUS IMMEDIATELY! Do not do any transactions that would result in a fee before loading the $40 to be eligible for the $20 bonus, such as atm balance inquiry, you can do an online balance inquiry for free. You can add money by free Direct Deposit, transfer from your bank account or buy a load pack from over 90k load locations, like 711 etc. You can use you NetSpend card for everyday use, to get your tax refund faster, transfer money to your Paypal, free direct deposit, online pay or at offline stores etc. It's basically a bank account in your pocket and it's free!

4. Once you've completed these steps, you get a referral bonus of $20.00!  You will also get your own referral link to make as many referrals as you want! That's it. 50 referrals is $1000, what other prepaid car company does that?

You can refer your personal friends and family by send them a rewritten email with your referral link. Your NetSpend back office also has cards and ripoff flyers with your referral link that you can print out and distribute in high traffic areas to get the word out offline. You can also spread the word to your friends on social networks, explain how the program works and post your referral link on your Facebook, Twitter, Google+ status, who wouldn't want a free $20!

Blame Paypal not Netspend

AUTHOR: dagent - (United States of America)

I have been a Netspend user for 6 years with direct deposit of my pension checks.I have also referred a dozen family to them. I have never had any problem with my deposits except one time in 2011 when the VA sent in 7 years worth of retroactive benefits all at once and I received $76,000. At that time the bank called me and we conferenced with the Treasury Dept. to verify it was a legitimate deposit. Their (Netspends) only problem was I could not have more than $10,000. in my checking account at one time so I had to authorize the remainder to go into my Savings account.( @ 5% APR) I also have bank statements to prove I spent $126,000.00 that month without going into debt. It looked nice on paper but I still only spent the money I had by bouncing it around on my 2 Netspend accounts.I highly reccomend Netspend to all my friends and family and like the $20.00 referral bonus also since it gets a bottle of Jack for me.

I would blame PayPal for your problems since that is not a bank and has mercenary practices for its members. I also use PayPal on a limited basis with only my secondary card, which does not get the direct deposits.And transactions take forever.

My niece and a friend just filed taxes last week and their refunds were deposited onto their Netspend cards today.No problems there. No PayPal either.

Sorry for your troubles, but place the blame on the right source.Please.

AUTHOR: NetSpend Corporation - (United States of America)

We understand your frustration and apologize for the problems you have encountered with the block on your account.  We understand that this can be an inconvenience, but we can assure you that it is for the security of your account.

Please send your information to [email protected] and we will be happy to assist you with this. We look forward to speaking with you and we should be able to get this resolved quickly.