Complaint Review: New England Construction and Remodeling

• Updated: Sun, December 02, 2012

• Reported By: Me — Foxbolro Massachusetts United States of America
New England Construction and Remodeling
6 James Street Plainville, Massachusetts United States of America

New England Construction and Remodeling Joe DelSignore Took my down payment of $8,700 and refused to do any work unless I gave him $3000 more Plainville, Massachusetts

*General Comment: Crazy person who put this on the Internet

*Author of original report: Rebuttal to Nationl Lumber

*UPDATE Employee: in addition to our rebuttal

*UPDATE Employee: Complaint against National Lumber- Mansfield, MA

I went to National Lumber in Mansfield, MA to get a reference for a contractor. They gave me Joe Delsignore of New England Construction and Remodeling in Plainville, MA. National Lumber claims to check licenses and registrations. His card stated he was licensed and this was also on the internet. He gave me a price to remodel of $18,000 and asked for $8,700 in advance, which I now know is way above the recommended advance. He delivered about $800 worth of products to the house prior to work beginning. On the day he was to start, he called and told me had problems and wouldn't do any work unless I paid him and additonal $3,000. I declined. He later tried to come and do the work but I had found out he was unlicensed and unregistered. I filed a lawsuit when he refused to return my money. He lost the lawsuit, but I only got $500 out of him. He was a member of the Bristol Norfolk HomebuildersAssociation until I filed a complaint with them. He was removed.

Remember to check their license and registration and forget the references, his didn't help me at all and I checked them. Also beware of any company claiming to refer licensed or registered contractors; they don't check their licenses and registrations.( I checked National Lumber myself and found 3 with no licenses.) It's a good-old-boy network and they believe whatever the contractors tell them. Another problem is the Attorney General's Office. If you don't put in the name of the person or company exactly as entered into their computer, it might not come up. With my guy, his registration had been suspended, so no report came back, but the the Attorney General's Officedoesn't tell you that. I found out after I filed a complaint with them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2011 06:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/New-England-Construction-and-Remodeling/Plainville-Massachusetts-/New-England-Construction-and-Remodeling-Joe-DelSignore-Took-my-down-payment-of-8700-and-678252. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on New England Construction and Remodeling

#1 General Comment

Crazy person who put this on the Internet

AUTHOR: MotherfuckaShutUp - (United States of America)

Does anybody else find this chick extremely b*chy and annoying, take your report elsewhere you crazy person

Rebuttal to Nationl Lumber

AUTHOR: Me - (United States of America)

I noticed in your reply, Steve, that you state that you check out each and every license of the contractors you place on your pro site. I followed your site for 3 weeks and found 4 contractors not listed with the AG. As I stated in my original letter that could be because there is action being taken against them and are not posted. The other problem with your system is that the contractor is required by law to post his or herlicense or registration number. That was clearly not the case with your listing. They are also not permitted to give a PO Box as an address yet one of your contractors did so on your site.Andwhat is the purpose of your site if the customer is required to doublecheck your work? Obviously, there is room for error, but you should have someone doublechecking the work. I worked in a physician credentialling office and we couldn't write a disclaimer if wefailed to verify a physician's credentials. Your companyshouldn't be in this business if you can't ensure your customers aren't going to get scammed by unlicensed and unregistered contractors!

And while you and your company are busy not taking responsibility, you failed to mention that the contractor in question was a member of the Bristol Norfork Homebuilders Association of which National Lumber is a member. I provided physical proof of Mr. DelSignore's attempt to hold me hostage with my own money while trying to extract some more. And, it turns out he was lying to them as well. That organization removed him from their Association by membership vote. I guess your boss didn't tell you about that. And why should the public be informed!

Your company wasn't the least bit interested in what happened to me because of your lax practices. All the CEO could say was he couldn't believe that Joe would do that. Just gave him the benefit of the doubt and put me down as some crazy woman. I had thought that kind of attitude had improved over the years. I guess not! The good ole boys network is alive and well!!!

As for checking references, I checked his references, they were all glowing! Go figure! That sure didn't help me!

As for my report being so old---- the courts work veryyyyyy slowly. I wrote letters to the Better Business Bureau andthe contracting companies that were advertising him with aFALSIFIED license number. When I saw this website, I felt I could help the next poor person who ran into this guy! People should also know that the service you are providing isn't worth the paper or website it's written on! I'm sure he's still out there taking advantage of someone!

in addition to our rebuttal

AUTHOR: Steve - (United States of America)

We understand what happened and feel badlyabout it as mentioned before, we do understand the fact that you were not able to get your job completed or your money refunded.Wehave and will continue to monitor our employees to insure that contractor names are not given out without management approval and aninspection of reputation and licensing (which is what our requirmentsare that are presently in place). We suggest as per the state attorney general's office recommends that all homeowners doing jobs check out references from at least 3 different customers and look up licenses and registrations on their state web sites.

Complaint against National Lumber- Mansfield, MA

AUTHOR: Steve - (United States of America)

As the Sales Manager for the Remodeling Contractor Sales division at National Lumber, I was both surprised and concerned when I first saw this report and did as much digging as I could to try and get more facts. We at National Lumber feel we have a good reputation in our field and, of course, want to investigate something like this right away which I did.

It turns out that this was a situation that occured in 2007, which made it more difficult to track down. The compaint (rip off report) is being written over 3 years later and looks like (ONLINE) that it is a recent event. In any case, old complaint or not, we still feel badly about it and would like to try and explain what we learned.

I spoke toour salesperson who had some information of the situation in the past and he in turn spoke towith the contractor yesterday. it is not my intention to to report his side of the story which has some differences to what is being said in the rip off report because "he said, she said" never works out to the best of any dispute. obviously there are some hard feelings on both sides of this issue, but that does not take away the fact that customer was wronged and that the job was not completed.

Our onlyinvolvment with this job is the point that the customer claims she got the contractors name from our store. We can not dispute this because it is a very old complaint andsometimes against all company rules, a salesperson couldgive out 2 or 3 names of local contractors for customers to check out. This could have happened but we can't verify it.The comment that she checked out our website and found unlicensed contractors on there is also surprising because we check out each and every one of them to insure that they are good long time customers and are licensed. We also have a disclaimer on our contractor resource page that recommends that references should be checked for all contractors before hiring anyone, and gives the name of the agency where licenses can be checked out.

Another fact that we found out was that none of the material that was purchased for this job came from National Lumber. This contractor was purchasing elsewhere at the time of the job and was not a listed member of our remodeling contractor purchasers (called our "PRO Force"). In summary, we do feel badly that this happened at ALL, and sincerely apologize for any part that we were claimed to have played in the problem. We had hoped that we had solved this problem of reffering contractors long ago and were very unhappy to hear that it could havehappened in the past. Steve Linsky- Former Remodeling Contractor Sales Manager and National Lumber present employee