Complaint Review: New Horizons Computer Learning School

• Submitted: Fri, September 09, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, September 09, 2011

• Reported By: Tired of Scams! — Raleigh North Carolina United States of America
New Horizons Computer Learning School
5400 South Miami Boulevard #140 Durham, North Carolina United States of America

New Horizons Computer Learning School False Advertisement and Overpriced Durham, North Carolina

*Consumer Comment: Idiot

Back in 2007, I searched several websites for work.   After applying for several I came across a post on Snagajob that advertised paid-training.  I contacted what I thought was a company one day on my lunch break.  The person I spoke to was Jim Pratt.  We spoke for a couple minutes.  He wanted me to set up a schedule to come by.  I remember looking strangely at the phone because he was staggering his words and wasn't making since.  After hanging up the phone, I said something is not right, I'm not going by there!

In 2008 I came across a different ad.  I contacted the school again because at the time I really wanted to work with computers and I was unemployed.  I spoke with Jim Pratt again.  I went out to the school for a tour.  As we walked by a classroom Jim mentioned they there will be hands-on learning as well.  I saw a few computers sitting on a table, so I was very impressed with that.

I began school July of 2008.  Jim told me by December of 2008, if I decide it's not what I want to do after all, I can just pay for my education up to that point!  By December I was not pleased with the education and I was having trouble with the payments that had already began!  I spoke with Jim and he offered to pay one of my payments for me (don't remember if it was a loan).  At the time it was $10, but I couldn't even pay that!  I declined to take his offer and decided to continue on b/c they promised that if we get an A+ Certification and a Network+ Certification we are guaranteed a job.

I thought I would at least get my A+ and Network+ Certifications.  I attended 6 courses.  The courses were going so fast, I was not retaining the information.  I told myself I would just stop and work on getting my A+ Cert first then I may continue the rest.  I finally got my A+ Cert in 2010.  It was not easy.  Then I began studying for my Network+ Cert.  I passed the practice exams with flying colors, but when I took the real thing, I barely saw anything familiar from the practice exam!  I felt hopeless.  I tried twice and I failed twice.  I thought about trying it again.

Sallie Mae has been harassing my Dad and I for at least 3 years now.  Several companies have bought the loan and then they began sending letters and harassing my Dad!  This is very frustrating!  One time I tried getting them to take my Dad's name off the loan and I tried making a payment, (I spoke with a Foreign guy), he said they can't do that b/c my name was not on the loan at all.  Well now about 3 yrs later, the new company has both of our names on the papers!  The loan is over $20,000!  What a nightmare!

I am also upset because, I volunteered with a non-profit company in Durham and worked on computers there.  I got more hands-on and learned more and didn't have to pay a penny!  There is surely something wrong with that picture!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/09/2011 09:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/New-Horizons-Computer-Learning-School/Durham-North-Carolina-27703/New-Horizons-Computer-Learning-School-False-Advertisement-and-Overpriced-Durham-North-Ca-774754. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on New Horizons Computer Learning School

Idiot

AUTHOR: Ted - ()

This guy is an idiot.  He enrolled in a school that he could not afford.  He was not smart enough to take advantage of the great training and placement services he was receiving.  I went through the program.  I could afford the ten dollars a month.  I got a great job after two months working at Cisco starting at 52K.

Ted