Complaint Review: New York Post

• Updated: Fri, February 21, 2014

• Reported By: Raffie B — New York New York
New York Post
1211 Avenue of the Americas, New York City New York City, New York USA

New York Post Brooklyn Paper Slander, misuse of name, libel, unauthorized content New York City New York

In the fall of 2011, an ex-roommate whom I roomed with became a suspect for gropings that were occuring in the Queens and Brooklyn area of New York.  Not knowing the news until I was bombarded with phone calls from reporters, I declinded to give any comments.  Fortunately, the charges were dropped for Joshua Flecha, but the aftermath of the media created many articles about him, which included my name, which was used unlawfully and without my permission.

The fact that my name appears in these articles damages my online reputation, especially in the eyes of someone who doesn't know me, let alone future potential employers.  After November 2011, when the charges were dropped and he was found innocent, the articles that were written about him contained my name and a comment that I never made.  I've tried several times to contact the NY Post and the Brooklyn Paper to remove my name from these articles because it was damaging any reputation I had left at that point.  I lost my job, was denied any potential employment due to the fact that I could be posed as a "risk", and more.  Regardless, when my name is searched online, these negative articles about Joshua Flecha appear and it contains my name in it.  The first impression I give off to someone who doesn't know me is already damaged right from the start - and this is not fair.  Why should my name even be mentioned when I NEVER gave permission to these reporters to use a statement I never made?  So they could write a good article?  I declined to comment everytime.  I hold Larry Celona of the NY Post and Kate Briquelet of the Brooklyn Paper personally responsible for involving me in their "work".

Like I stated before, I attempted to reach the editors of both papers to kindly remove my name and they've done nothing about it for the past 2 years (it will be 3 years this November 2014).  I never wanted to press charges because I thought it could be handled professionally, but the lack of oversight to assist me for the benefit of their newspapers has been abused tremendously.

If you are a victim of internet slander, I highly suggest hiring a lawyer and being served justice.  It will damage your reputation in ways you've never imagined.  I hope there is an individual out there that could assist me in fixing the problems these papers have managed to create.

Thank you.

Raffie B

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2014 12:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/New-York-Post/New-York-City-New-York/New-York-Post-Brooklyn-Paper-Slander-misuse-of-name-libel-unauthorized-content-New-Yor-1125449. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on New York Post