Complaint Review: Newburgh Theological Seminary

• Updated: Mon, July 30, 2012

• Reported By: MT Man — Montana USA
Newburgh Theological Seminary
8922 Ruffian Lane, Newburgh, IN 47629 Internet United States of America

Newburgh Theological Seminary Newburgh Theological Seminary and College of the Bible ("NTS") Nothing Taught -- Nothing Refunded Internet

*Consumer Comment: What???

*General Comment: You Can't Buy Something and Take It Back Two Years Later!

*General Comment: Newburgh Theological Seminary Is Very Fair

*Author of original report: Newburgh Theological Seminary: Nothing Taught - Nothing Refunded

I enrolled in the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) program at Newburgh Theological Seminary.  I chose to take advantage of a discount in tuition by paying !00% of the tuition up front.

Thereafter, my situation changed and I did not end up pursuing the degree.  I never attended a single seminar.  I never submitted a single paper for review.  I never utilized a single second of Newburgh's academic talent.

Later, when I notified them that I would not be continuing in the M.Div. program and requested a refund, I was told they would not return anything.  So, they took accepted my money, never had to perform a single service and now don't think it is fair to return anything to me.  Charge me a small administrative fee for setting me up in their system?  Fine.  But they seem to think they are morally entitled to keep all my tuition.  That's not fair.

Is this how you want to be treated?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/06/2011 06:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Newburgh-Theological-Seminary/internet/Newburgh-Theological-Seminary-Newburgh-Theological-Seminary-and-College-of-the-Bible-NTS-726341. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Newburgh Theological Seminary

What???

AUTHOR: Shiloh - (USA)

Any school would so the same thing. Matter of fact most colleges deny refunds at all or only allow them prior to the start date of a course (if refunds are requested after a class starts, they progressively decline to zero within weeks).

It is a crying shame that ripoff report's from 4 plus years ago show up when a person searches "Newburgh Theological Seminary" online, since this will wrongly cause some people to turn away from the school.

Bottom line- the school is great. The faculty roster speaks for itself and the school is very dilligent to make sure students are properly vetted for admission and well taught before graduation.

#2 General Comment

You Can't Buy Something and Take It Back Two Years Later!

AUTHOR: bwebb44 - (USA)

Imagine buying a car and letting it sit in your garage for two years. You don't use it. The car just sits in the garage. Then you decide you don't want to use the car and you drive it back to the dealer and ask for your money back. You didn't really use the car so you've decided you want a full refund. It's not going to happen. You bought the car you own it.

Imagine buying car insurance. You have a safe year and never have one claim. Will the insurance company refund your premium? They will not.

There is not one single college in the world that will refund your tuition to you after the semester or year is over. You can pay your tuition and not show up for one class. It's not the school's fault. You can yell unfair until you are blue in the face. The University will not refund your tuition because you decided not to show up and complete your course of study.

I have found that Newburgh will let people continue their studies even if they paid three years ago and never completed one course. This is extremely lenient. I don't know of other schools who are this fair.

#3 General Comment

Newburgh Theological Seminary Is Very Fair

AUTHOR: JD - (USA)

Newburgh Theological Seminary is a great school.

I attended several colleges. I dropped out of a state university one time. After several weeks circumstances prevented me from completing the semester. I did not receive any of my tuition back that I had paid them.

My degree program with Newburgh took about fourteen months to complete. The program was reasonable and realistic. I paid my tuition up front and saved money. They did offer me a very fair monthly payment plan.  I ordered one book at a time. I read the text and then completed my summary paper and emailed it in for grading. The grading staff was fair and helpful. Advisors were available from 8 - 5 Monday through Friday. On one occasion I had to freeze my studies with Newburgh for three months and it was no problem. They let me freeze my status and then pick my studies back up when my life circumstances changed.

No school will refund your tuition twelve months down the road simply because you refused to show up for class.

Being over forty years old Newburgh gave me the opportunity to finish a very important seminary degree. My education through Newburgh has enabled me to grow in ministry and even allowed me to be called to a larger ministry position.

Newburgh Theological Seminary: Nothing Taught - Nothing Refunded

AUTHOR: MT Man - (USA)

I enrolled in the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) program at Newburgh Theological Seminary.  I chose to take advantage of a discount in tuition by paying !00% of the tuition up front.

Thereafter, my situation changed and I did not end up pursuing the degree.  I never attended a single seminar.  I never submitted a single paper for review.  I never utilized a single second of Newburgh's academic talent.

Later, when I notified them that I would not be continuing in the M.Div. program and requested a refund, I was told they would not return anything.  So, they took accepted my money, never had to perform a single service and now don't think it is fair to return anything to me.  Charge me a small administrative fee for setting me up in their system?  Fine.  But they seem to think they are morally entitled to keep all my tuition.  That's not fair.

Is this how you want to be treated?