Complaint Review: Newegg.com

• Updated: Tue, June 09, 2009

• Reported By:Cambridge Massachusetts
Newegg.com
www.newegg.com Internet U.S.A.

Newegg.com - Newegg sells merchandise that comes with no support. Whittier Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Newegg Support

*Consumer Suggestion: Some parts do have a manufacturer warranty!

*Consumer Comment: newegg clearly marks oem parts in the discription.

I purchased a Sony DVD burner from Newegg. A year later, I started having problems with it, so I went to the Sony web site to download updated drivers and firmware. Despite searching through a pile of drives, I could not find my model mentioned.

When I contacted Sony customer support, I was told that the drive was an OEM drive, and that Sony would not support the drive. No firmware, no owner's manuals, no drivers and no tech support. They told me that they sold these drives to OEM companies like Dell and IBM who used them in their computers. They told me to contact the OEM for support.

The problem is that Newegg sold the drive, but they provide zero support. No technical people to answer questions. No drivers. No software. No firmware. No manuals or literature. No support whatsoever.

This means that buying OEM products from Newegg means buying something for which no one will take responsibility. I used to think that OEM products were just first quality products that lacked packaging. I always assumed that the manufacturers would provide support for them. I just found out that they don't. These are essentially orphaned products.

Newegg should publicly and prominently post this reality on their web site so that people don't buy things that are essentially AS-IS.

I have to be fair. NewEgg customer support granted me a credit of a bit more than half the price of the original drive, but it seems like a waste to have to throw away a drive just because no one supports the thing. I wouldn't have bought OEM had I known.

Rogersmithiii
Cambridge, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/20/2009 06:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Neweggcom/internet/Neweggcom-Newegg-sells-merchandise-that-comes-with-no-support-Whittier-Internet-436104. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Newegg.com

Dear Rogersmithiii,

Thanks for taking the time to post your kind review. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may of caused you. At your earliest convenience please contact me personally at alex.a.villarino@newegg.com or via phone at 800-390-1119 ext 25040 so I may further assist you in this matter.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Some parts do have a manufacturer warranty!

AUTHOR: Kenny G - (U.S.A.)

Some do, some don't! I have yet to hear of a brand-new OEM part that doesn't have a warranty, given that it's over $50... At Newegg, of course. Next time, fight it.

newegg clearly marks oem parts in the discription.

AUTHOR: Windowlicker - (U.S.A.)

When a part on newegg is marked OEM it means it is a replacement part for computer that was purchased from a company like dell or emachines.

So if dell installed a sony model DDU1675A into one of its pc's. the software that came with that pc will have the drivers for it. also for your enjoyment, copy pasta from neweggs FAQ's page:) please enjoy

"
What are the differences between the OEM and retail versions of a product?

Retail versions may come with additional accessories, retail packaging, bundled software and warranty coverage. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), White Box and Brown Box versions include the product and sometimes the drivers, but not much else. They are packaged generically and do not include software. OEM products are best-suited for system builders who don't require documentation or bundled accessories.

OEM software is delivered in a generic sleeve or container with little to no documentation or instructions. Because the serial number is exposed, OEM software cannot be refunded. Retail software comes with greater warranty coverage, all available retail packaging and accessories."

(http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=5)
about halfway down the page.

An informed shopper is a happy shopper.