Complaint Review: Next Door Painting

• Updated: Wed, July 18, 2012

• Reported By: CDK — League City Texas United States of America
Next Door Painting
2260 West Holcombe BLVD #150 Houston, Texas United States of America

Next Door Painting Painters killed off family pets and basically laughed about it. Houston, Texas

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Reliable Painting Company

*Author of original report: Follow up to Report

*Consumer Comment: Pop an email??

*Consumer Comment: Sorry

*Consumer Comment: Don't worry!

Did some reviews on Next Door Painters and decided to give them a chance after the second meeting in my home to cover my concerns.  Two meetings and a contract later, went ahead and hired them for a portion of the overall larger job.  In the contract, we agreed that they would open the windows downstairs and flip the fans on to ensure air movement throughout my house as paint has fumes and they can be quiet strong.

Moving forward, touching back with the main contractor several times over the weekend, decided to stay home to ensure that things went smoothly the first day (Monday June 18, 2012).  Guess what, the painters never showed.  The contractor showed around lunchtime, explained finially that they were delayed, we went over the windows, fans and lock on the door yet again.  They were to be at the house Tuesday at 8 in the morning to start.  He called me the next morning, as he forgot how to open my door, so I walked him through it, and reminded him yet again, please ensure that the windows are open, and you turn the fans on.  He said no problem, he would do it himself!

Fast forward through the day, touched back around lunch, he said all was well and that things were going smoothly.  Did not think anything of it for the rest of the work day.

Got home, looked at the front of my house while pulling in the drive way, windows closed, heart dropped.  Opened my car door, could smell the paint fumes from the driveway, they never opened any windows, or turned on any fans.  Ran inside, telling my children to stay outside.  My fear came true.  I opened the door front door, glass from a broken shelf all over the floor, look to the right, see three of my macaws on the floor of their cages, obviously dead, and water from the clogged fish tank all over the floor.  Looked in the other cage, found another family pet, a jenday conure, dead in her cage.

In a matter of minutes we have lost four family pets, and the painters did not fulfill the contract by simply opening the windows, and turning on the fans which I left out right by the front door.  Rushed around, opening windows, when the painters saw what I was doing, they helped, within minutes every window in my home was opened, and I was trying to save my salt water fish, saved all but one, ran them up to a local pet store to stay while repairs were done on my tank, they are still there today a month later.

While I was delivering the fish to the pet store, the painters left, not sure when exactly, they claim it was 5pm.  Nonetheless, they left my front door unlocked and opened.  While I was gone, some hoodlums decided to take advantage of the open house and took several items from my home. I get home, I notify the contractor and he said, just file an insurance claim.  It takes another two weeks just to get the insurance information to file the claim.

Moving forward Navigators Insurance Company, denies my claim, saying even though the contract states that the windows would be open and fans on, that it was my responsibility as the home owner to ensure that they painters follow through with the contract, and that it was my responsibility even though I was not home for them to lock the front door.

So in the end, this company, murdered four family birds, ruined a salt water fish tank, killed off a fish and a lot of corals and other sea life and borke a shelf and seemly are laughing about it because they lied to their insurance company and are taking no responsibility for their actions.

If you care at all about your house or family pets, avoid this company at all costs, and pass this on to your friends, as no innocent animal should die because of contractors failing to follow a contract and using basic common sense.

I mean seriously - painting a house, open a window, fumes, house locked when you come, lock it when you leave, both very common sense steps, that this company does not follow.

Add to all the damage they cause and are laughing about, the painting job that they did complete, looks like a five year old did it, you can see lines in the paint, and the murals from before still, they did not retexture or caulk in all places and none of the lines are straight.  Its horrible, nothing like what their website shows their work to be like, very shotty, half completed work.

Bad all around with this company.  Whatever you do, pick a different company, these people are not worth your time and heartache.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2012 09:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Next-Door-Painting/Houston-Texas-77007/Next-Door-Painting-Painters-killed-off-family-pets-and-basically-laughed-about-it-Housto-913262. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Next Door Painting

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Reliable Painting Company

AUTHOR: NDP - ()

To Whom It May Concern:

We appreciate all types of feedback.  We welcome our customers to submit concerns, quetions and of course compliments when appropriate.

As a company we do our very best to make each customer feel appreciated, respected and looked after.

If there is ever a question or request we make sure to address that issue in a timely manner.

We service over 1000 homes each year in Texas and we are proud of our A rating with the BBB, our 1000's of local references and our strong reputation from the past 15 years.

The complaint below saddens our heart to think one of our homeowners feel this strongly about her experience.  As the owner, I made several trips to communicate and listen to all her questions, concerns and complaints.  We went back to the house and addressed all specified areas in question.

There are times when you simply can't make a customer 100% happy and that is when you try a bit harder.

In this scenario the owner had some valid concerns in reference to touch ups and some unreasonble and outlandish accusations.

We will continue to operate with the highest of integrity and continue to treat each home as if it were our own.

If you have any questions about our service or this particular situation please call me on my direct line at 281.250.8773.

We hate to see one weird "review" push our customers one way or another.

Sincerely,

Blake, Owner

AUTHOR: CDK - (United States of America)

Thanks everyone for the caring thoughts and words.

In response to the fish tank question- the shelf that was broke in the entry way - when it hit the floor, it flung glass everywhere as far as the living room, and some landed into the refugium of my salt water tank which is in the entry way, once the tank filter pulled up the piece of glass as it was not heavy, it sucked it up into the tubing to recirculate water for air flow, and it got plugged up with the peice of glass, meaning the the fish were not getting fresh air, and the tank started to over flow because to other side was still pumping water out.  So lack of water, due to it pumping out and overflowing the refugium, plus no recirculated water to bring air back to the upper tank.  Thats how the fish tank was damaged.  One broken Ikea shelf with glass shelf inserts.

In response to the person that forwarded my comment to the company - Thank you, I to have been fighting with them to have the work correctly done, one of their employees stated that he was no longer coming back, so I went to the owner / manager, he is coming to "touch-up" this upcoming Saturday.  Its more then touch-ups and I have told him that several times.  I am not sure he really understands the work that was done, but Saturday he will see it.  I hope that explains more then.

In any case - an update to the situation.  The owner called stated that he got news that I had filed a complaint.  And asked if I still wanted him to come out.  I told him yes, because I already paid in full (even thought their website said that the will not accept final payment until the customer is completely satisfied - they took the payment without any problems).   During this call the owner whom has never even set foot into my home to see whats going on stated he did not believe me that any of my complaints are true.  I offered him proof and that I would show him, and he said we would discuss is Saturday when he came out.  Thanks to the storm, we got disconnected, or I got hung up on, but I will give the benefit of doubt here because the storm was really bad and we were both on cell phones.

He did call back, but I did not get the telephone call, just a scrambled voice mail.  I have opted not to call back and am waiting for Saturday at 830 when his painter and him (owner) come out to correct the problem with the job itself.  I am glad though that he is seemingly trying to right a major wrong at least with the quality of work.

Once Saturday is over, I will update here with the input and if at least half of the problem is resolved.  But in all honesty, that half, isn't the part that hurts the most.  It is the loss that hurts more then the bad paint job.  Either way, I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy though watching my enemies life turned upside down might be entertaining, it would not be worth the pain from the reprocussions.

I would update with pictures of the work - but I no longer have a computer at home to do it.  As it disappeared when the painters left the door unlocked (that apparently is the homeowners responsibility to make sure that contractors lock the door when they leave even if you are not home).

I just hope that my children's teachers do not expect anything on a computer for awhile for school as it will be awhile before I can get another computer for the house.

Cross your fingers that this works and that my house looks much better after Saturday.

Pop an email??

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

OHHH the queen of rebutts pop an email. bet that will scare them!!!! Come on babe

Sorry

AUTHOR: Cindy C - (USA)

Sorry for your loss but you should have removed the birds from the home if you knew the paints fumes were so toxic that you had to rely on the painters opening all the window and doors plus turning on all the fans. And I am not sure on how they clogged your fish tank filter.

Don't worry!

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

I popped them an email with your complaint. We will see if that helps!