Complaint Review: NextCard

• Submitted: Tue, August 17, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, August 17, 2004

• Reported By:Everett Massachusetts
Market Street San Francisco, California U.S.A.

NextCard Another Billing Rip-Off San Francisco California

I too am a victim of the now defunct NextCard Bank. In 2001, I began having difficulty paying my bills due to loss of employment and subsequent disability. I was fortunate enough to reach a live person at NextCard's collections department who I thought was going to help me. My account was 90 days past due and getting close to charge-off status.

After several conversations with different collectors one woman I spoke with offered me a settlement of 50% of the balance. At the time I owed them $9,200. They were willing to settle for $4,600 if I could mail them a bank check or money order in a two week time period. I of course did not have the money but was able to borrow it from a family member.

I sent NextCard a money order in September of 2001 for $4,600 and never heard from them again. About a year later I received a collections notice from Platinum Recovery Solutions. To my dismay this letter stated that I owed NextCard $9200. Knowing that I had already dealt with this through the original creditor, I immediately sent them a copy of the money order and a cease and desist letter and never heard from them again.

It is now August of 2004 and I have received yet another letter from another collector, Attention, LLC demanding full payment of the $9,200 that I owe NextCard. These people are real jerks! When I called to explain they vehemently told me that this is a valid debt and I must pay or they will institute court proceedings.

To make matters worse, when I paid NextCard 3 years ago I never received the settlement statement they promised to send and now I can't find the copy of the money order I paid them with. All of NextCard's contact information, address as well as telephone number, are no longer in service. When I checked my credit report NextCard is showing up twice on my report with two different account numbers, the correct number as being paid in full and another account number showing that I owe $9,200.

I have tried disputing this with the credit bureaus. To date, Experian is the only one who has fixed my report but Equifax and TransUnion are destroying me. The Better Business Bureau and The Attorney General have been absolutely no help at all. This is a nightmare and I don't know where to turn. I would so be in favor of a class action suit against these idiots.

Everett, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/17/2004 06:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NextCard/San-Francisco-California/NextCard-Another-Billing-Rip-Off-San-Francisco-California-104152. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NextCard