Complaint Review: Niagara Credit Solutions

• Updated: Tue, June 26, 2007

• Reported By:hiding out Alabama
Niagara Credit Solutions
Niagara, New York U.S.A.

Niagara Credit Solutions Harrassment, unfair collection practices, work-based calls Niagara New York
*UPDATE ...Rip-off Report Investigation: Credit Solutions of America pledges to resolve complaints. Commitment to Customer Satisfaction Program. Consumers can feel confident & secure when doing business with Credit Solutions - Assisting clients by reducing unsecured debt - debt free in 3 years or less.

*Consumer Comment: Harassment

I pursued paying off abad debt (credit solutions did not help, only took my money!) I called my credit card company (JCPenneys) was told this account was being managed by Niagara Credit Solutions and was transferred.

I expressed my desire to settle this debt, and explained I had joined a credit solutions complany that basically took my money and did nothing for over a year. This company said they could settle for some exorbitant amount of money, it was like $1500 more than the original debt! I expressed that I could NOT afford that and was hoping to pay off the ORIGINAL amount minus a precentage if possible.

Well, this guy began telling me I was a bad mother, calling me ignorant, I mean it was unbelievable. He said that because I was refusing to settle, he was going to go ahead and "mark my credit every week until I pay." Whatever that means!

So, fast forward a few weeks, and I get a message at work from a nice sounding gentleman wanting to discuss the debt I owe. I called back, and was given a slightly less figure, basically about $30 less than the original. I again expressed that I couldn't afford that, and he began shouting, saying he was going to start "harrassing my mother" and was going to fax a form to my payroll dept toget my wages garnished. I basically told him this was not going to happen, and he needed a court order to do so! After several more seconds of him berating me and shouting obscenities, i hung up.

I was so upset, I began to try and file a complaint, and I called back the main number and asked where they were located. The gentleman asked me "why? " and wanted to know who I was. I simply stated that wasn't important and needed to know where they were located to file a complaint. He said New York, and refused any further information. He began calling me ignorant and other obscenities. Again, I hung up.

Well, a few seconds later my WORK phone rings (the beauty of caller ID) and this guy begins yelling at me and saying he wants his money and now they won't settle at all He called me a "punk", and it was just ridiculous how these people treated me. I hung up.

Again, they kept calling and left several NASTY phone messages, basically saying I must be ignorant because I don't know how to use the phone, etc. etc.

These people are scum and I would rather die than give them one cent after the way they treated me. I called them looking to 'do the right thing' after being screwed over by another debt company, and these guys are even worse. I have the messages saved if anyone wants to hear them!

L.
hiding out, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2007 08:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Niagara-Credit-Solutions/Niagara-New-York/Niagara-Credit-Solutions-Harrassment-unfair-collection-practices-work-based-calls-Niagar-1029193. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Niagara Credit Solutions

Harassment

AUTHOR: Karon - (U.S.A.)

First, I'd like to say make sure that you save those messages. The collector and the collection agency may be paying you!

Secondly, harassment is not defined by the law. Harassment is defined by whatever the party being harassed, feels is harassment.

I am not an attorney. I collected debts for many years and NEVER had to disrespect anyone or break the law!

There are laws which collection agencies and the collectors are required to abide by. It is the FDCPA, Fair Debt Collect Practices Act. Collectors and Collection agencies who do not comply with the laws are subject to being sued personally and as a company.

Strat keeping very good records (in writing) of the names, times, dates and conversations. Only facts are needed, do not add any hearsay. Do not make any threats, promises or commitments for something which you cannot do.

Draft a Cease & Desist letter which informs the collector and the agency that you want no further comunications from them except in writing. Mail it to them certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep a copy of the letter and the return receipt with the signing partys signature, as proof the company received the letter.

You can get the letter from this site: or if site is not listed when this comes out do a search for Cease & Desist Letters for collections.(http://www.bendover.com/adiosbottomfeeder.asp)

Edit it with your information, of course. You may specify in the letter that this company cannot contact you at work or any numbers affiiate with your work, your neighbors, friends or any family members. Include your mailing address at which they are allowed to you.

If they are going to take legal action against you, you will get notification via mail or could even be served.

The company is allowed to make one last call to state they have received the letter...NOT TO HARASS YOU.

Finally, if the harassment does not cease file a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and your State Attorney Generals office. Be sure to submit copies of those recorded messages they were so kind to leave you. Make sure you keep copies of everything, could turn out you can sue the agency and the collector!

Best of Luck!