Complaint Review: Nixon Watches

• Submitted: Wed, January 27, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, February 01, 2010

• Reported By: Elaine — Encino California U.S.A.
Nixon Watches
701 South Coast Hwy Encinitas, California United States of America

Nixon Watches NIXON USA POOR PRODUCT QUALITY, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE- spend your $ elsewhere! Encinitas, California

*Author of original report: RESOLVED BY NIXON- very happy with their customer service!

I bought a Nixon Delta watch with a stainless steel band a few weeks before Christmas 2005 as a gift for my boyfriend. This new watch with technical features/functions was designed for avid snowboarders (which we are). Borderline board shop in Woodland Hills, CA, ordered the watch from me from Nixon. I gave the watch as a gift, and he happily used it the first month when we went snowboarding at Mammoth and Tahoe resorts. Within a few months, there were problems with the watch with some of the features (weather, recording vertical miles, etc.) not working as well as the battery draining quickly, so Borderline sent it back to Nixon. The watch come back supposedly repaired, but within a few more months the watch had problems again with features not working and the battery still draining quickly, and Borderline once again sent it back. We didnt know if this watch was a lemon or if the product design was flawed, but we questioned the quality since it had been sent back for repair to Nixon twice in one year. [continued below]....
..... The problems continued, but we decided not to send it back in because of the hassle and just dealt with the product flaws, getting the batteries changed every few months at a local watch repair shop.

I recently sent the watch to the Nixon Repair center on December 12, 2009. I sent it in not only to get the battery replaced, but because the clasp in the watch needed to be repaired. It should have been a simple fix. I got an email around December 28, 2009 from the Repair Center stating that they did not have the parts to fix the band and to contact them. I was on vacation at the time snowboarding in Tahoe and called on January 6, 2010 to find out what the problem was. Apparently Nixon stopped making the stainless steel band and did not have the parts to fix it. The watch was only made 4 years ago, not to mention you have several watches that have stainless steel bands, so Im not sure why you would create a product in which the parts are limited and hard to replace! I was offered a new watch product minus a $50 deductible. I had my boyfriend look at all the Nixon watches, but he only wanted the Delta with the complete stainless steel. He pointed out the Deltas are now made with plastic parts which is very cheap-looking and cheap quality. I called Nixon a couple of days later on January 8 at 2:40 pm, spoke to Steve at the Repair Center and told the him to please just send the watch back un-repaired, especially since it had sentimental value. We were going to try and find a local jeweler to see if they could somehow repair or replace the stainless steel band if Nixon could not do it

The watch came back to us Tuesday, January 26, 2010, and we found out that they forgot to return the missing clasp piece. I called Nixon customer service at 10:50 am and spoke to Sarah, who told me she would talk to the Service Repair Supervisor and call me back that day. I did not get a return phone call, and called again Wednesday, January 27 in the afternoon to try to reach Sarah in Customer Service. I was forwarded to a voicemail and left a message.

I do feel that this issue is being avoided by customer service and the repair center, and the mistake in not returning the missing piece will never be addressed. Because of this, I can never even attempt to try to get the watch fixed, and we have nothing but a watch paperweight! This is very frustrating because there is a strong sentimental value attached to the watch. This watch was bought for a specific reason- it was because it was a product for snowboarders. If I had known the quality of the watch was going to be poor, if I had known about the unsatisfactory customer service and the carelessness of the repair center, I would have just bought a Tag Heuer in the first place where I could get service and a simple fix like a band being repaired!

This is my first time buying a Nixon watch/product. I am aware that Nixon has started making additional items like headphones (competing with Skullcandy who has EXCELLENT service), but after my experience with Nixon, I have found that quality of the products and the service to be extremely poor compared to its competitors. If a consumer shells out a hundreds for a product, there is an expectation of quality and service when it comes to that product and the company. In the very least, the company should make an attempt to resolve the problem, which Nixons customer service has not done. In my opinion, every time I have called the customer service line it sounds like a high school student who does not care about the customers concerns!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/27/2010 04:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Nixon-Watches/Encinitas-California-92024/Nixon-Watches-NIXON-USA-POOR-PRODUCT-QUALITY-POOR-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-spend-your-elsewher-560884. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Nixon Watches

RESOLVED BY NIXON- very happy with their customer service!

AUTHOR: Elaine - (U.S.A.)

I just want to update my situation.  Seven days later after writing my last report, Nixon has completely resolved this situation to my satisfaction. They addressed my issue and really took the time to talk to me and make it right! All I can say is WOW- its very rare that customers are listened to and treated with such respect! What they did to help me really shows they do stand by their product and they do care about what their customers think, and making it right for the customer.

I have family and friends who are into extreme sports, and I have considered getting them Nixon watches as gifts in the past but have always gotten them something else. After what Nixon did to help me, I am confident that I can give them a Nixon watch and feel good about the quality and the service it will get.

Thank you Nixon, for showing me the corporate world isnt all about making money, and that the mom and pop values of treating the customers as individuals and caring about the customer is still there. I have a renewed sense of faith in the corporate world after what you did to help my situation!