Complaint Review: Nordyne

• Submitted: Fri, June 04, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, June 08, 2010

• Reported By: Jerry — Seminole Oklahoma U.S.A.
Nordyne
8000 Phoenix Parkway O'Fallon, Missouri United States of America

Nordyne Gibson, Broan, Frigidaire, Kelvinator, Maytag, NuTone, Philco, Tappan, Westinghouse Faulty equipment, Laughable warranty, horrible customer service. Sent faulty replacement part after two weeks. O'Fallon, Missouri

*UPDATE Employee: Lack of support could be due to online sale.

I purchased a Gibson Central A/C unit (outside unit) a little less than 2 years ago. I had it installed by a reputable, licensed technician. The a/c went out on May 21, 2010.

I had a different tech (first one passed away a short while ago) come out to fix the problem. He determined that the compressor was the problem. Great! I thought, its under warranty. Sure was... They replaced the compressor. I had to pay shipping both ways AND all costs including labor and subsequent parts to get it fixed. This came out to nearly $800.

On June 3rd the part FINALLY arrived. The morning of June 4th, they showed up to install it. After several hours of trying to get it to work, it was determined that the compressor they sent was faulty as well.

It took over 3 hours to get anyone from Nordyne customer relations to talk to me. [continued below]....
..... Bob Marx FINALLY returned my phone call. But he was short with me, and could care less about my problems, could care less that it took two weeks to get the first compressor, and really didn't seem to mind that it appeared it would take another 2 weeks to get another.

I tried to talk to his superior, Keith Skipper, but still haven't received a response.

Do yourselves a favor and STAY AWAY FROM THESE COMPANIES!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2010 01:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Nordyne/OFallon-Missouri-63368/Nordyne-Gibson-Broan-Frigidaire-Kelvinator-Maytag-NuTone-Philco-Tappan-Westinghous-610392. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Nordyne

Lack of support could be due to online sale.

AUTHOR: palutisk@nordyne.com - (U.S.A.)

Hi Jerry,

I am truly sorry that our customer service experience fell short for you. We try very hard to respond to homeowners in a timely manner, but unfortunately, in peak season, our response times can be longer than we would like as we are staffed up to handle calls from technicians.

I spoke with Bob Marx, and he remembered your conversation and that you had told him you had purchased your system online. Because the installation is so critical to the success of the equipment, our warranties only support sales through a contractor. (See the full warranty details here, exclusion 4: http://www.nordyne.com/literature/consumerwty/stndrdwty.pdf).

Purchasing online may also mean that you purchased a system without a network of local distributors supporting it. Typically, local distributors carry replacement compressors, and a dealer can, in theory, have a new compressor installed in a matter of hours, not weeks. The fact you had to wait for it to be shipped may be related to having no local supply houses in your area.

If I am incorrect in the online purchase, please call out warranty department (1-800-422-4328 option 4) with the serial number, and they can go over the specifics of the warranty with you. I also recommend that you have your dealer call our technical services team (1-800-422-4328 option 2) to discuss the compressor issues and possibly troubleshoot your system to make sure everything else is in working order. We want your Gibson to be delivering the cooling performance you expect for this summer and many, many more.

Kari Palutis