Complaint Review: North American Bancard

• Submitted: Tue, January 06, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, January 14, 2009

• Reported By:Tucson Arizona
North American Bancard
969 Chicago Road Troy, Michigan U.S.A.

North American Bancard -Sherria, Chris, Zoe @ Commerce Payment Systems Deceptive, Lies about contract or agreementents, raising fees, charging unauthorized charges Troy Michigan

*UPDATE Employee: Company Response

I signed an application with Commerce Payment Systems, however, on the application it stated North American Bancard. Before entering into any agreement with them, I asked Zoe Eisen, 866-999-4622 x-2119 (account executive) if there was any "contract" or anything that would commit me for any length of time. I advised her that my business was a side business, it was new and I had no idea if it would be successful. I told her I did not want to sign any commitment; mainly for that reason. She said, you can end anytime you want without any cost. I inquired to her there was a reference that I read and understood pages 1 through 10... I asked her what that agreement was..she told me it was only a summary of what my rates were, and a welcome letter. Over two weeks later, I received a hard copy in the mail. I read it and it mentioned a 3-year agreement. I called Zoe and she told me, that is just an agreement that goes out to everyone. She said, you did not sign the agreement, so it doesn't apply to you. She again told me not to worry, I was not bound by any agreement.

As time went on, I did not sell much, as my business is very seasonal hand-made jewelry sold mainly at winter events when the snow birds are here in Arizona. Within 7 months, my rates went from $5.00 statement fee, and no minimum to $10 statement fee plus $15.00 minimum. I was upset, and wanted to cancel. I spoke with Chris, supervisor, and he put me on a seasonal plan, which I have never seen. Although, it seemed to satisfy me, a little. I complained, but, to no avail. A month later, I decided to cancel, as business is virtually nonexistent, due to the economy. They told me, it would cost me $675 to end the agreement-(3-year), even though I did not sign it. I was furious, as I was lied to by Zoe, and I suspect NABancard, as they do business together. Today, I see there is a $79 charge for PCI. They are telling me I have to pay this annual fee. They automatically deducted it from my account, and claim it is non-waivable. I use Visa with a hand machine, and it seems this compliance business is mainly for computers and that type of security.

I am mainly upset that they (1) raised my rates from $5.00 to $25.00. But, the real upset is the 3-year agreement. I signed an application on March 6, 2008. I received their agreement, which was dated 17 March. Obviously, I did not see, read, or understand it when I signed the "application". I have now read the agreement, and it is very confusing, and deceptive. My lawyer said if I could not come to agreement with them, I would win in court. It is a shame, as I have sent at least 2 faxes, and asked to be called several times, but, a supervisor can never be reached. This is nearly the same story as the Interior Design people.. Very deceptive practices getting you to sign an application which later turns out to be an agreement. I am going to file a complaint with Terry Goddard, Attorney General for Arizona, and hopefully they will help me, and prevent this from happening to other victims.

Tucson, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/06/2009 11:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/North-American-Bancard/Troy-Michigan-48083/North-American-Bancard-Sherria-Chris-Zoe-Commerce-Payment-Systems-Deceptive-Lies-abo-408669. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on North American Bancard

Company Response

AUTHOR: North American Bancard - (U.S.A.)

Dear Merchant,

North American Bancard works very diligently to resolve all customer issues and complaints. Since our inception in 1992, we have worked with over 125,000 merchants of all sizes and levels of complexity. We provide a high level of service and support to our customers, as is evidenced by the low number of complaints we handle. Occasionally we, like any other large company, may make a mistake or mishandle an issue. When these are brought to our attention we resolve them to the best of our ability. Our 250+ employees work hard every day to make doing business with NAB a pleasure for our merchants and stakeholders, all we ask is the opportunity to recover well.

Unfortunately enough information was not provided for us to accurately determine your specific Merchant Account. If your account was incorrectly debited, or you believe your fees have been inadequately advised, then we would need specific information in order to properly address the concerns or correct any errors.

We would like to discuss your specific situation with you, please have your Merchant number ready and contact my office at 800-226-2273 Ext.1050, so that your specific situation may be properly researched and addressed.

Kimberly Tippin