scared

• Reported By: Paul — dana point California United States of America
North Beach Self Storage
1623 N. El Camino Real San Clemente, California United States of America

North Beach Self Storage Don't let them rip you off San Clemente, California

*Consumer Comment: What about your lock?

*Author of original report: Liar

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: North Beach Response

*Consumer Comment: I read your report and...

I was moving and needed a storage for a short while until I found a new place to live.  I contacted North Beach Self Storage located in San Clemente Ca and spoke with Jason.  I am not sure if Jason is the owner or just the manager but he seems to be running the show down there.  On the phone he claimed that they are the cleanest and cheapest in town.  So I went down and toured a few units they had available.  Let me say that they are by far NOT the cleanest but they were local and convenient and I only needed about a month or two so I thought I'd give it a shot. Signed up and moved my belongings in.   I come to find out that there are people living in a few of the units.

On their website they offer a referral fee of $25 for each referral you give them.  My father had just sold his house and needed a place to store his stuff for a bit.  He was currently in Georgia on business so I was in charge of obtaining a storage for his belongings.  I went to North Beach Self Storage and told them that I needed a 10' x 20' unit for my father.  Since my father was not present to sign the contract they were not going to give me a $25 referral fee.  I told them that I would just go elsewhere so they decided that they would give me that $25.  The cost of my 10' x 20' unit was $325 per month. About a week after signing up I hoped on their website and noticed that they were offering a 10'x25' unit for $299.  Interesting I thought to myself.  It appeared that they had taken my $25 referral fee that I kicked and screamed to get and rolled it into my fathers monthly rent.  I emailed them acting like I was interested in the 10'x25' unit @ $299 per month and they said "Yes it is available for $299 per month".  Slippery slippery slippery people down there.  Their website is very misleading and appears to be false advertising.

About 1-1/2 months after terminating my time there they called me saying I was late on my payment.  I told them that I had cancelled almost 2 months ago.  they said "your lock is still on your unit so we have to charge you for this month because we could not rent it out. Those locks are not removable with a saw."  and if I didnt pay they would send me to collections.

Moral of the story, pay a little extra for a clean reliable storage facility.  Don't use North Beach Self Storage unless you want to be taken advantage of and mislead.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2012 11:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/North-Beach-Self-Storage/San-Clemente-California-92672/North-Beach-Self-Storage-Dont-let-them-rip-you-off-San-Clemente-California-840874. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on North Beach Self Storage

What about your lock?

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

The company stated that you gave no notice and left your lock on the unit.  You have disputed that you gave notice but you have not disputed their assertion that you left the lock on your unit.  That leaves us to assume that you did, in fact, leave your lock on the unit.

There is no partial credit for doing things half-a**ed.  If you left your lock on the unit you are still in possession and you still owe rent.  You may have given notice that you intended to vacate but you retained possession by leaving your lock on the unit.  Your notice was, therefore, ambiguous and the law normally rules against the party who creates an ambiguity.

Liar

AUTHOR: Paul - (United States of America)

Dont let this scammer fool you.  I gave my 10 day notice to vacate but it appears to have mysteriously disappeared.  Interestingly enough you're employee Bob confirmed it was in my file when he called me looking for payment.  Goes to show how unorganized and slippery this guy Jason is.  Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

North Beach Response

AUTHOR: TNT Management - (United States of America)

Dear Paul,

We apologize we did not meet your expectations at North Beach Self Storage. This is certainly not how we conduct business. Here at North Beach we are proud of our storage facility and will take some time to respond to your unmet expectations.

North Beach self storage just had the asphalt resurfaced and the buildings repainted. We always attempt to have the facility clean, ready to use, and safe for our customers.

When you rented a 2nd unit we gave you 25.00 credit to your unit although this is not company policy to give that discount on a 2nd unit for the same customer.

When you vacated the unit the lock was left intact and the office never received notification about your vacate. We still assumed you were renting the unit. After numerous attempts to contact you finally let us know you had moved out 1-1.5 months after the fact. We were therefore unable to re-rent the unit. You obviously misunderstood the rental agreement which states "notifying the office, cleaning the unit, and removing your lock".

Again we are sorry for your unsatisfactory experience at North Beach Self Storage and hope we can sometime again do business in the future.

Respectfully,

Jason
North Beach Self Storage

I read your report and...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Couldn't find the RipOff.

On the phone he claimed that they are the cleanest and cheapest in town.

- Sounds like typical Salesman speak.  But you went down and even though they weren't in your opinion you still rented a unit from them.  Not only that but you went back and rented a unit for your father.  Had you gone down, and NOT rented you would have a valid complaint about a RipOff of some wasted time but that is about it.  However, since you did rent the unit this is a NON-Issue

- So what?  Businesses always have special deals going on.  If you buy a car and find out a week later you could have gotten it cheaper do you expect the car dealer to give you the new price?

- I would bet that your agreement stated that upon leaving you would not only make sure the unit was clean(swept) but your locks are also removed.

- I think you missed the actual moral.