Complaint Review: North Country Oil Change

• Updated: Thu, November 03, 2005

• Reported By:San Mateo California
North Country Oil Change
Potsdam, New York U.S.A.

North Country Oil Change added weights to my tires after rotating them and charged me for their error Potsdam New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Did the tire rotation include balancing?

*Author of original report: Tire Weights

*Consumer Comment: Did he offer you the weights he removed so you could take them back and show what was wrong at the first shop?

*Consumer Comment: Sounds like you won in the end.

Before I moved to California (July 2004) I decided to get an oil change and (as per the North Country Oil Change listed services) I got my tires rotated there as well. The oil change was fine, but the moron who rotated my tires put weights on them causing my car to thump down the road unevenly. I brought my car back thinking that since it was their error that they would fix the problem they created by taking the weights off free of charge. Instead they charged me an extra thirty dollars plus tax to fix a problem that they had created.

They didn't even fix the problem after they charged me the second time for my car was still thumping down the road unevenly. I decided that I would just take my car elsewhere. I finally found a tire specialist who knew what the problem was. He was appauled at what the mechanic at North Country Oil Change had done! He had put about 15 pounds of weights on my tires for no apparent reason. Needless to say they are the worst mechanics in the North Country!

Sarah
San Mateo, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2005 07:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/North-Country-Oil-Change/Potsdam-New-York-13667/North-Country-Oil-Change-added-weights-to-my-tires-after-rotating-them-and-charged-me-for-162656. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on North Country Oil Change

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Did the tire rotation include balancing?

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

I would be interested in knowing whether the tire rotation service included balancing. If it did, it should be noted if it was "static" or "dynamic". Static balancing is "old school" and not very accurate for todays cars. Dynamic (or spin) balancing is done with the wheel on the car and takes into account any imbalance in the brake drums/rotors and other rotating components. It is quite possible that the excess weights were already existing on a terribly out-of- balance assembly and that by moving its position on the car, the problem was exacerbated.

If balancing was not included, this is the most likely cause of your troubles. I'm assuming the technician who corrected your problem used a computer spin balancer to bring things back into spec.

It sure wouldn't hurt to ask the right questions and present the second shop's bill to the first shop in a non-accusatory manner to see if they could participate in the expenses you incurred correcting the problem.

I'll be watching for new developments.

Respectfully,

Tire Weights

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

After writing my previous comment about the 15 pounds of weights on my tires I was trying to remember how much the "good" mechanic had said that the horrible mechanic had put on each tire. I believe he noted 1.5 to 3 pounds give or take on each tire...not 15 per tire. All I know (despite my vague remembrance of the reporting of the amount weights) is that my car was hard to steer and was thumping unevenly down the road. To top it off I was leaving for California that very evening and needed my car in perfect condition. It was a mess and would have been avoided if I had gone to a tire specialist. I just don't know why the mechanic would have added so much weight? Any ideas? I thought he wanted to make more money from me...but that's just my opinion.

AUTHOR: Dean - (U.S.A.)

I have worked in shops all my life and would dearly love to see a pic of a car wheel with 15lbs of weights on it.

15lbs added to a front wheel would shake so violently at speed you would probably lose control of the car. not to mention that there just isn't enough room on the wheels of todays cars to add 15lbs of weight (hammer on or stick on)

If you were told by a mechanic that there was 15lbs of weight on there I would be looking for a new shop to go to.

Hey! Did he offer you the weights he removed so you could take them back and show what was wrong at the first shop? If so post a pic please.

Sounds like you won in the end.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

I know it's not your point, but 15 pounds of wheel weights represents quite a bit of money.