Complaint Review: North Shore Agency

• Submitted: Thu, April 16, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, April 16, 2009

• Reported By:Aptos California
North Shore Agency
270 Spagnoli Road Suite 111 Melville, New York U.S.A.

North Shore Agency NSA surrenders! Melville New York

After we received the dunning notice from North Shore Agency last October for a subscription to Prevention Magazine which neither of us ever ordered, I filed a complaint with the New York Attorney General's office, Bureau of Consumer Frauds. They followed up and I am pleased to report that NSA and Prevention Magazine agreed to leave us alone.

NSA advised the AG's office in early February that they had "suspended our collection efforts pending further review of this matter." Separately, Prevention informed the AG's office a couple of weeks later that they had "cancelled [sic] the subscription," and that the "bill for $11.88 has been cancelled as of Nov. 5, 2008."

I didn't actually need the NY AG's office help in this. I wrote independently (via certified mail) to both NSA and Prevention's publisher, Rodale, demanding that they produce and send to me a copy of any "contract" they possessed verifying our obligation to them, per the U.S. Fair Debt Collections Act. Needless to say, they couldn't produce bupkus and they backed off. At the same time, I hoped that a formal complaint to the appropriate authorities might give them a bit of a chill, though unless the AG office goes after them in a big way, I sort of doubt it will.

Steve
Aptos, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/16/2009 04:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/North-Shore-Agency/Melville-New-York-11747/North-Shore-Agency-NSA-surrenders-Melville-New-York-444213. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on North Shore Agency