Complaint Review: North Texas Tollway Authority

• Submitted: Sun, February 15, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, February 15, 2009

• Reported By:Cedar Park Texas
North Texas Tollway Authority
PO Box 260928 Plano, Texas U.S.A.

North Texas Tollway Authority Bill paid in Full a year ago, keep getting bills, and now there are 2 accounts open on me Plano Texas

*Consumer Comment: Did you pay the original fine?

I went through toll booths going from Austin to Love Field for a trip to NYC in November 2007. At that time I did not have a toll tag, and there were no cash windows. I fully expected to receive a bill in the mail, and indeed I did in December of 2007 and paid it in full, $2.80.

In December of 2008 I get a bill for the toll for 2007, and I sent an email saying that I had paid the bill in December 2007. I heard nothing in return.

In a few weeks, I get a past due notice for the same bill that I had already paid in 2007. At that time I wrote a letter and attached a copy of the cashed check (#1043 written 12/31/07). That letter with attachments were sent on 1/3/2009. This was all done under the account # 3937220. I indicated in my letter that I considered this matter closed, and the bill paid in full.

Today, I get another bill for the same toll (November 2007) but this time they added on a $25.00 administrative fee (bringing the total to $77.25), and I noticed that it is a totally different account number. The original account number was #3937220, this one is #4671144 - same tolls, same day, duplicate accounts. Obviously there are 2 accounts open under my name with the same date of toll violation.

I sent an email to them describing the above situation and will mail once again, a copy of all the documents that I mailed on 1/3/09. This will be the third email I have sent (never getting a response) and the 2nd time I have mailed the proof documents.

I have asked them via email to confirm that the email was received, processed and that the accounts were merged and this matter to be considered closed. I will do the same when I mail the duplicate documents.

I have never gotten any confirmation that anything was received, processed, or remedied towards this or these account(s). My expectation is that they will confirm that I have paid this account and the other duplicate account in which they are charging me 75.00 on a 2.80 toll!!!!

I am so angry, as I have done my due diligence, paid my bill in full over a year ago, provided documentation and proof of my efforts and still this is not resolved. I never got any confirmation that it was paid, but today I get another statement - on another account - for 75.00 - adding on a 25.00 administrative fee to each 75 cents toll !!!!!

I added this to the email and will add it also to the hard copy of the documents that I send in the mail: "My expectation is this: I expect a return email that you have received and understood this email and that this is being investigated, and you will merge these account(s) and know that they are paid in full and have been for over a year. I also expect confirmation of this either by email or snail mail."

I hope that someone out there somewhere can help me! I paid this $2.80 toll over a year ago, and am still getting bills in the mail!!!!!

Debbie
Cedar Park, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2009 01:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/North-Texas-Tollway-Authority/Plano-Texas-75026-0928/North-Texas-Tollway-Authority-Bill-paid-in-Full-a-year-ago-keep-getting-bills-and-now-th-424376. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on North Texas Tollway Authority

Did you pay the original fine?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Most likey when you "ran" the toll booth you were assessed a fine in addition to the $2.80. You said you paid the $2.80 "in full", yet failed to mention paying the fine. If in fact you did not pay the fine, then you still do owe the money.

You state you got a past due notice for $77.25, if you take away the $25 administrative fee that comes to $52.25. Which sounds about right for a fine. Here the fine on a running a toll booth starts at about $42(for a $0.50 toll).

If this is a mis-understanding on your part you may be able to get them back down to the original fine. But you are not going to get out of that if you can't show you paid not only the toll, but any fines they assessed.

If you did pay the entire amount(fine and toll) then stop sending e-mails. Send them a Certified Letter with return receipt showing your proof. The return receipt will be your confirmation that they did receive the documents. If this is still the original agency(and not a collection agency) have you actually picked up the phone and called them? It may be a 5 minute conversation could clear this entire thing up.

Also, if this is truly unpaid be aware that they may have the authority to report you to your DMV. If they do this the DMV can freeze your car registration until it is paid. If they freeze it you will not be able to get your new tags, basically making the car undriveable, without the risk of getting additional tickets.