Complaint Review: North Western outlets

• Updated: Sun, May 13, 2001

• Reported By:
North Western outlets
Lancashire Sunderland, England United Kingdom

Fish and Chips anyone? food portions rip-off

More and more nowadays, here in the North West of England, I am constantly being ripped off, over the size of fish portions. On a visit to Sunderland (North East) one portion of fish and chips was too much for 2 people let alone one. However thats where the value for money ends! Outlets of all kinds, Chinese takeaways, Indian takeaways and conventional fish and chip shops are continually ripping us off. The area is not just inland where I live, even Blackpool establishments are guilty of it.

Blame on the small sizes ranges from "over fishing of fish stocks, allowing us to buy in fish other than cod, and call it cod!" to "If you want a large fish we can do one for you" (where there is an extra charge!)

I bought one from my local Chinese today, the batter was large and puffed out, and when I scraped out what fish was in there, there was less than 2 fork scoops! The batter was solid and inedible.

I have resorted to jibes before I purchase, referring their fish to the size of a stickleback, but this falls on deaf ears. I have asked for a lower price due to the lack of size, but been refused on numerous occasions. Whilst they are free to sell this "fish" they are raising their prices. In my area, it costs 1.70 for a piece of "cod" whereas a large fish will cost me 2.00!!! The large fish is smaller than a comparative one from the North East. When will someone do something about this?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/13/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/North-Western-outlets/Sunderland-England/Fish-and-Chips-anyone-food-portions-rip-off-5136. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on North Western outlets