Complaint Review: Northcentral University

• Submitted: Fri, May 02, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, March 21, 2010

• Reported By:Grand Rapids Michigan
Northcentral University
www.ncu.edu , Arizona U.S.A.

Northcentral University Northcentral University poses itself as Online University but really Correspondence school Online University Arizona

*Consumer Comment: NCU Programs

*General Comment: Facts about NCU

*Consumer Comment: Technology fee ripoff? Yes, they got me too. :(

I took one class at Northcentral University with the idea that it would actually be an Online University. My company paid top dollar for the class of Organizational Behavior and this was actually a Correspondence school.

There was no teaching going on at all at this so called online school. They pose themself as online but you don't get online and listen to any lectures or have any online meetings at all for your class. So what am I paying 400 dollars or more a credit for? They have so called mentors that are supposed to be there to help you. They are not instructing at all because all they do is grade a paper you send in to them. That is another reason I find this to be a rip off. I bought the book for the class and find out I have to write about eight papers to pass the class. I didn't even have to read the book to pass this graduate class. All I had to do was go online and print off some topics and paraphrase to how this relates to my work life to pass this class. So I have to say my education dollars didn't get very far. They did not teach me one thing about organizational behavior.

It gets better. During the semester which started in November they decided to charge a technology fee of 90.00. This fee was implemented in January of 2008 and my class ended like January 14th. This fee was implemented after I enrolled in my course and they were intent on charging me this fee rip off fee even though I was not going to take anymore classes. My academic advisor said I wouldn't have to pay this if I didn't take anymore classes. Guess what they were intent on charging this fee.

I decided not to take anymore classes and they decided that they were going to charge me 50 dollars to withdraw from the University? I ask you folks what am I paying for? Why should I have to pay 50 dollars because I was dissatisfied with this correspondence school? I decided to fight this charge to no avail and two letters to my house saying they would take action if not paid. I decided to write the CEO of the company. He put me off for four days saying he had to review my records. What did have to review as I already paid for my class and only took one? He was intent on charging me the 50 dollar fee as this was fair to him. He said it was in the handbook. I sure didn't get a copy of the handbook when I enrolled. They said it was online. I guess you have to read everything in fine print if you go to school here.

The accounting department said they would waive the technology fee and the CEO came back and said I had to pay a pro rated portion of this rip off fee. I have an email in hand saying the technology fee would be waived and he trumped that and charged me more. So I was ripped off again. If I were to take action on this I believe I would win because of the email from accounting saying it was waived. I decided to finally pay the 57.50 so they would not take my account to collections even though I was very dissatisfied and ripped off. This University did not teach me at all . I have no idea how they got accredited. Please be aware of all the details before enrollling here at this so called online University. Thank you

Squib
Grand Rapids, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2008 03:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Northcentral-University/Arizona/Northcentral-University-Northcentral-University-poses-itself-as-Online-University-but-real-330189. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Northcentral University

NCU Programs

AUTHOR: rafoster - (United States of America)

It has been my experience that as many suggest, NCU is a correspondance distance education program.  It has also been my experience that their mentors do have little contact with an individual in their programs.  As many have suggested some mentors are good, some are bad.  Tution is fair.  I read another post from 2007 about NCU and everything he stated they should have  (AACSB) accreditation, they now have.

Distance education is the future in education like it or not.  If you are an individual that needs great structure, NCU would not be for you.  Please by all means, go somewhere else.  However if you live in Alaska like I do, work full time, and have no other means to a brick and mortar education at the doctoral level, then NCU is excellent.

I have heard others suggest you cannot teach with an online degree or that you will not get hired by traditional universities.  When I read these, I begin to understand why these folks who have enough time to tear down, did not make it :-)  I know of three academic professors in ground schools with degrees from NCU.  One is a PhD in Business, another two PhD in psychology.  You likely will not get picked up at Harvard or Yale, but then again if we are having this discussion you will not as well.  Then again who wants to be?

As far as the classroom goes and the lack of Blackboard or others forums, I am disappointed in the comments of the dissenters.  You live correct?  Life is but an educational platform in which one discovers and synthesizes what they read, know and understand.  I personally am in an PhD in education with an Org. Leadership emphasis.  Within this program there is an overwhelming emphasis on what works in organizations to get the job done while keeping people happy.  I use this material not only at work, but in everything that I do.  Attend a training, and you will hear leadership resounded no matter the topic.  You may then have discussions in the context of what you are discovering.

I do not suppose that I will change anyone who has their minds made up.  That is not my goal.  Use your time and efforts in the positive to find something for yourselves that work.  If not, you will be full of regret because guess what...nothing we really learn while on earth matters anyway for very long!!!

God Bless, (Forgive me for spelling errors as I am in a rush)

#2 General Comment

Facts about NCU

AUTHOR: jj6643 - (United States of America)

Here's the thing. Yes, NCU is primarily a correspondence school. Depending on the individual, it's going to work, or not. For me, I have no problem with their system. I don't need to be part of an "online" school where I am required to go into chat rooms, post comments or review other people's work (which usually turns out that you are actually DOING the other person's work for them), nor do I need any other mandates put on my learning experience. I should note, though, that for one class (and for others I've heard of) I did actually have to post to a group thread. Anyhow, for each assignment I read the text, ask the mentor questions (if I have any), interact with other class-members (if I want to), and fully appreciate that I can customize my own experience. The mentors are an email or phone call a way. If you want more mentor contact or feedback, you can have it. If you want more student contact, NCU lists people who are currently taking the course, and who have taken it over the past year. On several occassions I have reached out to other students and the response has always been favorable. Do not blame the school for a lack of interaction when they actually give you the tools to use it, if you choose. With this said, I do believe NCU could update its approach to create a more "online" experience without sacrificing learner indepence.  I would have liked  to have seen more "lectures"...perhaps uploaded video or podcasts. This way it isn't all put on the learner to read, absorb and interpret, and then re-hash the text. I had one mentor who experienced with audio lectures. This worked great and really helped guide me through the material. NCU's course work is rigorous. The reading and writing get to be overwhelming. They need to break up the routine by having more responsibility put on the mentor to "teach" the material. But all in all, I have been very satisfied and their approach has worked for me!

Technology fee ripoff? Yes, they got me too. :(

AUTHOR: Reverendrick - (U.S.A.)

I had the same experience with the new 2008 technology fee. I was told on December 5th, 2007 that I was academically dismissed. I appealed the decision which left me in student status until after the appeal was ruled on by the Dean of the college. She delayed her final dismissal decision until January 9, 2008. As a result, they took $90 out of my prepaid tuition before sending me the refund. I asked the Bursar office lady if she thought that the technology fee was fair in my situation. She said it wasn't but there was nothing she could do because of the NCU policy.

$90 for 9 days as a student in limbo waiting for the dismissal decision. How petty of NCU to not refund the fee. This really highlights their greediness.

Squib, at least you experienced NCU's true colors before you invested any more money and time. I was not so lucky and had completed 32 credits (costing $15,000+ and nearly 5 years) before watching NCU slide into this current pro-money, anti-student greed phase. NCU was much more student centric back in the early days of their initial accreditation (2003).

Look into reasonably priced programs at Bellevue University in Nebraska. I've also heard a lot of good press about Dakota State University. Both are established brick & mortar schools who offer good short-residency programs. Good luck on your future studies!