• Report: #1120767

• Updated: Tue, February 04, 2014

• Reported By: SouthernMan — manchester New Hampshire
Northeast Heavy Construction Academy
5 Industrial Dr. Brentwood, New Hampshire USA

Northeast Heavy Construction Academy HCA Looks great, all the bells and whistles, but.... a waste of time and money! Brentwood New Hampshire

Apart from having good, experienced instructors, the expectations you have as a student and the promises made by the school are totally unrealistic. Of the 24 students in my class, ONLY ONE was able to secure a job running heavy equipment as of now, 7 months after graduation. And he had experience prior to coming to the school. We graduated 6 months ago and most can't even get an interview.

I have interviewed with several companies and all have said that I lack the speed, experience and finesse to be put to work on an active job site. I was fortunate to get hired by a company, but not as an operator. There are foreman, superintendants, operators and even laborers with my company who are easily as good as the instructors at the school. So, I have a job doing other things and get little or no seat time.

The employment counselors are nice people but terrible at what they do and certainly not proactive. The students did most of the work and we were constantly in their office trying to get them to send out resume's, contact clients and actually sell them on employing us.

The level one instructor (Dave) and level two instructor (Eric) were excellent, experienced operators with a wealth of knowledge to impart to the students. However, with 20+ students there was little or no time for personal instruction and attention. Plus, while I got 6 days in an excavator, I only got 2 days in a dozer because of the way the schedule was set up.

Also, the owners of the school are more concerned with maintenance of their machines as opposed to seat time for the students. We were forced to spend $350 on a battery operated hydraulic grease gun and spent between an hour and an hour and a half EVERY MORNING cleaning grease fittings and greasing their machines. Not one company I have interviewed with cares about this and the gun has been in my closet ever since.

But....... the biggest problem was the students. I went to this school thinking that I would be surrounded by a group of veterans who were our nations finest. However, with the exception of 5 or 6 students who stuck together, the rest were criminals (DV complaints, drug arrests, assault arrests) and overall malcontents. The school has certain "attendance criteria" to pass, but they were never enforced. Several students more than doubled the time missed and graduated with the same certification as the rest of us. Drugs were rampant among my class and the class before us. We overlapped them by three weeks.

There were constant confrontations with students in our class who werre drunk, on drugs or just violent. Several students brought their girlfriends to the hotel and there were many incidents of domestic abuse. After the second week, the police were at the hotel almost every night either because of drug or alcohol issues, domestic violence, loud music or fights. This became an extreme distraction for most of us and even when other hotel guests were complaining, the school claimed that it wasn't their responsibility or problem and put the full weight on the hotel to deal with.

Last but not least, there is no transportation from the hotel in Manchester to the school in Brentwood, which is 24.6 miles away. The school puts the responsibility on the students like myself who drove to the school to transport the other students back and forth. We had 5 vehicles and 24 students, do the math. My truck was filled every day and with the exception of two students, no one even offered to give gas money.

In summation, too expensive, way too much aggravtion and not nearly enough practical training to do any good. All about money and not at about the students.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/04/2014 09:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Northeast-Heavy-Construction-Academy/Brentwood-New-Hampshire/Northeast-Heavy-Construction-Academy-HCA-Looks-great-all-the-bells-and-whistles-but-1120767. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Northeast Heavy Construction Academy