Complaint Review: Northern Virginia Community College

• Updated: Sun, February 05, 2012

• Reported By: JessieD52 — Stafford Virginia United States of America
Northern Virginia Community College
15200 Neabsco Mills Road Woodbridge, Virginia United States of America

Northern Virginia Community College NOVA or NVCC Unprofessionalism and Neglegance Woodbridge , Virginia

*Consumer Comment: parking at NVCC

*UPDATE Employee: Follow Up to Compliant About NVCC-Woodbridge

*Consumer Comment: Sorry

*Author of original report: Response to Suggestion

*Consumer Comment: Suggestions

*Consumer Comment: comment

First and foremost, let me begin by saying that I do accept some responsibility for the chief complaint which I am making today. I do believe however, that NOVA should be held accountable for my misfortune. I am a first semester student attending classes mainly at the NOVA Woodbridge campus but some at the Medical campus as well. On every occasion in which I interacted with any member of the staff I was spoken down to in a demeaning mannor I found entirely offensive. After the first unpleasant encounter I figured it was that one particular person but I have been continually berrated and slighted on every occurance.

EX 1- The week before classes began was when I actually decided to enroll not knowing classes were beginning so soon. The wait was over two hours long and every member of the staff I approached completely discounted me. The individuals at the front desk were less than helpful when I asked what I needed to do to enroll and meet with a counselor. [continued below]....
..... I was sent into student services where I met the most ignorant and short employee I have ever met in my life. She barely answered any of my questions, denied me the opportunnity to meet with a counselor, and told me I would need to come back to collect the student handbook i had requested.

EX 2- I met with a representative to figure out what classes I would need for my major, she spoke quickly and unclearly. Being a new student is difficult for me having been out of school for 5 years at this point, she did not take the time to explain anything to me and when I did ask a question she looked at me and gave a response that to me said "your stupid." I was told that the counselors were too busy during the beginning of semesters and would likely be too busy to show me the in's and out's of the school. This was not my only attempt at meeting with a school counselor, I made several attempts and was omitted on every occasion.

EX 3- When enrolling in my classes I was made to do it all on a website in which i had no knowledge of how to navigate. Every time I asked a question about how to do something I got an exasperated sigh or roll of the eyes.

EX 4- When I needed to speak with financial aid regarding a grant I also experienced resistance from staff. I signed my name on a clip board as told and sat waiting to be called. There was no one else in the office other than a fellow staff member whom was conversating with the financial aid rep. She left me sitting there while she discussed matters not related to the workplace. When I was finally called I was adressed in the following manner " you here for aid?" with a snobbish tone. I said yes ma'am I am and explained that I need assistance filing for the grant. She asked if I had my taxes with me and I replied no. She snatched some papers from her desk filer circled some things and told me to do it online. How she expected me to interpret the circling or navigate a website I didn't know how to was beyond me.

EX 5-PARKING!!!!!! This is my main complaint. Even without the unprofessionalism from the staff this alone would make me transfer, which I fully intend to do. When I fist started classes, parking was free. I asked several people several times if I had to pay for parking, they ALL said no. Instead of saying it was only free temporarily they told me it was free leaving me to assume it is always as such. They also did not differentiate student from teacher parking. I accidentally parked in teacher parking one day which i now know are the "A" lots (which are intergrated with student B lots) so I recieved a ticket as expensive as a permit. Problem is, the day I was supposedly issued the ticket it was storming violently so I never recieved the ticket. I went into the parking office a few days after the ticket had been issued to get a permit when I FINALLY figured  out I need a permit from another student no less. When I tried to get the permit they denied me, told me about the ticket and said I would need to either pay the ticket or recieve an appeal letter after filing one before I could a permit. I appealed to the ticket of course and the woman in the office called me a liar to my face about not recieving the ticket!!! Rather than allowing me to buy a permit while I wait for my appeal letter, they leave me suseptable to further ticketing?!!! What kind of flawed a** backwards policy is that?! So of course I recieved ANOTHER ticket for parking in the B lots because the meters they provide to students without permits only last an hour! My classes all last longer than 3 hours each.

EX 6- When I called in to complain about the ticketing and parking procedures I encountered the most argumentative individual. I believe I should have a right to express my view point on the situation but was argued with the entire time. These are only a few exmples of my unpleasant experiences I've had while attending NOVA. I feel that NOVA is neglegant and unprofessional. From my experiences I gather that they display the facade that parking is free at the start of a new semester, deliberately leaving new students vulnerable to ticketing since thier staff is so determined to NOT speak to you, answer your questions, or help in any way. This is the worst academic enviornment I've had the displeasure of attending. I would NOT reccomend this school to anyone and I will certainly NOT remain here.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2011 03:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Northern-Virginia-Community-College/Woodbridge-Virginia-22191/Northern-Virginia-Community-College-NOVA-or-NVCC-Unprofessionalism-and-Neglegance-Woodbrid-783619. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Northern Virginia Community College

parking at NVCC

AUTHOR: rawiron1 - (United States of America)

If you want them to give you the time of day at Parking Services you need to sue them in small claims court.  Only takes about 10 minutes to fill out a warrant in debt.  Cost is about $50.  Gets their attention real quick.  I know, I am suing NVCC parking services at the moment.  I am trying to get them to admit that the parking rules on their Web site are inconsistent with the rules in their parking brochure which I did not receive when I got my parking pass which resulted in me getting a ticket.

The school's lawyers are all based out of Richmond and can be contacted at...

Virginia's Community Colleges
101 N. 14th Street, 15th floor
Richmond, VA  23219
phone: 804-819-4901
fax: 804-819-4766

If they have to fight every ticket they'll change the rules.  Make'm earn it!

Follow Up to Compliant About NVCC-Woodbridge

AUTHOR: Sam Hill - (United States of America)

Thanks for taking the time to document your recent experience at the Woodbridge Campus of NVCC.  I am the Woodbridge Campus Provost, and I want to assure that this is not the type of experience we expect our students and visitors to have.  I would like to discuss your experience with you.  Please contact me at the Provost Office.

Sorry

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Sorry if I came off a bit rude, but to be totally honest with you your comments did come off(IMO) as someone who has an "entitlement" mentality that the world has to bow down to them when they want it, and if it doesn't go your way it is their fault.  I will also say that I do thank you for your Service and wish the best for you in the future.

As an example your original comment was...
- That is NOT the same thing as

Your original comment really seems to say, "I had plenty of time but waited because I just didn't want to make the effort to go in", the later says "I COULDN'T enroll until that time because I was still Active Duty".  I hope you can see how those two statements could slant your report two different ways.

- Just a guess..it is not a Public Community College is it?

Unfortunately you are at a CC, and with the budget cuts that just about every State is going through these people are having to do more with much less.  Does that give people the right to be rude..of course not.  But it happens, especially if it is something that in reality you SHOULD know about or is very easily found, such as the parking regulations.

You obviously have a computer.  Why didn't you look up their parking regulations on-line?  It took me about 30 seconds and I found information on the the date each semester the parking is enforced, what lots are for what type of permits, and if I wanted to I could even buy a permit on-line.  My guess is that a lot of your other "questions" could have been answered in similar ways.

Anyways my main point still stands.  What ever college you attend, if it is a CC the chances of you unfortunately dealing with a lot less "hand holding" than if you attend a private college is going to be great.   Now if you find a CC where you have no lines, no problems finding classes, and have counselors who go out of their way to walk you though any question...don't leave.

Response to Suggestion

AUTHOR: JessieD52 - (United States of America)

I am unsure who exactly you are or why you are so fired up about such a simple complaint. If you read the beginning of the post you would see that I admit to accepting some of the responsibility. I waited until last minute because I was released from Active Duty from the Marine Corps the week prior, I have 2 children, and am in the process of buying a home right now. I live a busy life. I know everyone has a busy life, my complaint is the lack of assistance the college is willing to provide to it's students and the ignorance encountered on every occasion I attempted to recieve help. I know Im a smart girl so don't attempt to belittle my intelligence when you assume things you know nothing of. I waited until AFTER this so called CRUNCH time and even exerienced resistance then. I am from a completely different state where rules, regulations, and policies are radically different from this one which is why I tried to meet with a counselor to learn of the policies here. I could give you all the reasons in the world or explain everything barney style for you, but in the end you don't know the situation and you don't live my life. So, if your not going to be a mature adult in your responses I would appreciate it if you don't post such demeaning and rude comments. Im all for constructive critisim and advice, it's the immaturity of the way you not only constructed that post but the tone it conveyed im not for. Fact is, this is not the case with every college. My husband attends a fantastic college in which all members of the staff treat students with respect and allow them the opportunity to really familiarize themselves with the college to prevent things like this from happening. There were at least 3 staff members that could have warned me about parking or directed me to someone who could provide more information than my class schedule. Thank you for your input, but please be more respectful to those you are responding to.

Suggestions

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Changing Colleges may be a good thing for you.  But realize that unless you realize you are now an Adult and need to take responsibility for your actions some of these same issues will follow you to your next College.

EX 1 - MOST colleges open up enrollment months before, you waited until 1 week before.  Your reasoning is that you didn't know when the classes started.  Why didn't you know?  I would bet that if you had gone there earlier or looked at their web site you would have seen when they started.
According to you the wait was over 2 hours long.  If that is the case do you really think you were the ONLY one who wanted to see a counselor?  Do you think you were the only one who had questions.  The answer is of course not.

EX 2-3-4- Basically the same as 1.  You waited until what is best described as "crunch" time to enroll.  Think of it as Rush Hour for registration.  Just like on the freeway if you are trying to get on the freeway as hundreds of other people you are going to get jammed.  You then have the choice to deal with it or get on the freeway before everyone else.

Ex 5 - This is the same with every college.  There are lots that are for students, lots for staff, and they may have other lots for instructors.  The fact is that if you park on any college campus, just like regular streets or parking lots YOU are responsible for knowing the regulations.

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

It sounds like you have some valid complaints and that transferring to another school is your best option.

FYI: There is no such word as "conversating". The correct verb is "conversing".