• Report: #1019316

Complaint Review: Norton AntiVirus

• Submitted: Sat, February 23, 2013
  • Updated: Sun, February 24, 2013

• Reported By: Ted — Portland Maine U.S.A.
Norton AntiVirus
Mountain View, California United States of America

Norton AntiVirus tech rep tries to sell unneeded software Mountain View California

*Author of original report: Norton may be scammed by a website called ts926.com

*Author of original report: Norton ripoff not "of my own making"

*General Comment: What happened with Norton is of your own making...

Email I have sent to Daniel Schulman, CEO of Symantec, parent company of Norton AntiVirus:

Mr. Schulman,

As a customer of Norton AntiVirus, I am sorry to report a very unnerving, distasteful experience this evening with one of your tech support people, with whom I spoke on the phone and to whom I granted desktop access to my laptop.

I was prompted to call in for technical support after I realized that my Norton protection had malfunctioned. The tech-support person informed me that my computer was infected and he tried to sell me some product for more than $200 or $300 and I told him I needed to take a day to process what he was telling me.

He became very rude and disrespectful and ended the conversation when I asked unsuccessfully to speak to a supervisor.

Later, I appealed to tech support at Best Buy, from which I purchased my Symantec product, and received stellar, white-glove service over the phone from a member of the company's "Geek Squad." And this agent helped me without trying to sell me hundreds of dollars of software that I didn't need.

I suggest that the tech-support agent from Norton was fraudulently trying to sell me software to "fix" what he claimed was my infected computer.

Geek Squad agents - to whom I also granted desktop access - informed me that their analysis showed there is absolutely nothing wrong with my computer. They quickly took care of my issues and fixed them remotely - at no charge.

I will not be recommending to any friends or colleagues that they do business with, or buy products from, Symantec, based on my experience this evening.

I felt you should know about this because I know you appreciate the need for good customer relations. I would be glad to discuss my experience further should you wish to call me.

Sincerely,

Ted C

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/23/2013 09:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Norton-AntiVirus/Mountain-View-California-/Norton-AntiVirus-tech-rep-tries-to-sell-unneeded-software-Mountain-View-California-1019316. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Norton AntiVirus

Norton may be scammed by a website called ts926.com

AUTHOR: Tedcohen - (U.S.A.)

I called this number I found on the internet - 855-287-1909 - for Norton tech support but I now believe that number is NOT affiliated with Norton or Symantec.

Beware of this number - and beware if someone at that number tells you to go to ts926.com for remote computer help.

Norton ripoff not "of my own making"

AUTHOR: Tedcohen - (U.S.A.)

Mike,

Thank you for your sound advice.

But contrary to your headline my issue with Norton's fraudulent tech support geeks was "not of my own making."

#3 General Comment

What happened with Norton is of your own making...

AUTHOR: Mike - (USA)

Hi Ted, sorry to hear about the almost scam that happened to you. I worked for AT&T doing Uverse Technical Support for a while. AT&T had us send customers that had small issues with their computers to a division called "Connect Tech" which was staffed primarily with a lot of overseas agents to assist with virus cleanup and things of that nature.

The only thing was we had to "sell this package" and AT&T charged the people on a monthly basis. It was an expensive package. There was so much pressure to "Sell, Sell, Sell" and we were also given elaborate awards and an extra $6.00 on our paychecks for everyone we sold, that many of my coworkers started adding the service to customers who called in "anyway" without their knowledge or permission. We didn't care that later the customers recieved their bill because even if it was removed at that point we already had our money and we knew the company would expect the customer was lying.

I never did this but many of my coworkers did. The overwelming percentage. Even if the customers had a simple issue we could fix or give them quick instructions to fix such as cleaning out their browser cache, the managers who were also driven by sales numbers simply told us not to tell the customers and to lie and say it was a connect tech issue for which they would be charged.

The reason I am telling you this is because you act so surprised that these guys would LIE. We live in a Capitalistic system baby and that's how its done. Americans praise MONEY. Above all else, This is why companies put PROFIT over PEOPLE. Even the most ruthless and cutthroat CEO's in this country get applauded. The banks who extort and exploit get applauded.

CROOKS GET APPLAUDED. This system won't change until the American people decide they have simply had ENOUGH.

So yes.. that young man LIED. And I can guarantee you that his managers APPROVE of the lying. You would not believe the absolutely immense pressure managers and agents are under to SELL THAT CRAP knowing most people don't even need it.

It's just how it is.