Complaint Review: Norton Symantec AntiVirus

• Submitted: Fri, March 28, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, March 28, 2008

• Reported By:Abilene Texas
Norton Symantec AntiVirus
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd. Cupertino, California U.S.A.

Norton SymNorton Symantec AntiVirus CREDIT CARD THEFT Cupertino California

I purchased Norton Antivirus for a Mac computer in 2006 because I was getting so much spam from Nigeria...

After installing the product on my Mac, it ran slower than a dog. After a couple of months, I removed the product from my computer.

What I didn't know, Symantec has (somewhere) imbedded small text during the initial installation process to auto-renew the product and charge your credit card. Hundreds of people have complained about this, and it seems like Symantec (Norton) is doing a good job of sneaking this by consumers.

I'd avoid this company like the plaque they are.

#1. They never sent me an e-mail advising they were going to auto-renew and bill my credit card.

#2. I had to contact my credit card company Chase MasterCard and ask the charge be canceled... They wouldn't do it, but are sending me a "dispute form." (That was about 30 minutes wasted on the phone with Chase)

#3. Chase advised they have had numerous complaints about Norton Auto-Renewal ("unauthorized") and it continues to upset customers. Chase gave me a toll-free number for Symantec Norton.

#4. I spent another 30 minutes on the phone with a guy in the Phillipines resolving this. I had to provide a lot of personal information in order to process a refund and I am NOT COMFORTABLE about providing a phone number to Symantec (because I think they are sneaky bas%&#*s. And now I'll probably be getting more junk mail and tele-marking calls because Symantec sells account info to other companies...)

Long story made short, do not purchase ANY product made or marketed by Symantec.

Abilene, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/28/2008 06:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Norton-Symantec-AntiVirus/Cupertino-California-95014/Norton-SymNorton-Symantec-AntiVirus-CREDIT-CARD-THEFT-Cupertino-California-321850. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Norton Symantec AntiVirus