Complaint Review: OFFICE DEPOT

• Submitted: Fri, December 04, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, September 25, 2011

• Reported By: Glenn — Arlington Texas U.S.A.
OFFICE DEPOT
6600 North Military Trail, Boca Raton, Florida United States of America

OFFICE DEPOT Bait and Switch Pricing...Must Pay for Delivery on In-store Selection Boca Raton, Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Sorry but thats not completly true

*UPDATE Employee: What? o.O

Recently went looking for a new computer desk for my office.  Shopped and comparison priced at many different stores and finally picked a desk at Office Depot in Arlington TX.

After waiting 20 minutes in line, I handed a white card that was in a holder in front of the desk to the check out clerk.  After waiting another 20 minutes, the clerk came back and told me that my desk was available for delivery only and that the delivery charge was for $24.99.

I asked to speak to a manager and the conversation went like this

me:  "So the price of this desk is not really $149.99, it is really $174.98

manager:   "no, the price is $149.99"

me:  "ok, so please ring me up for $149.99 plus tax so I can get my desk"

manager  "well plus the $24.99 delivery charge"

me:  "lady, if I can't take possession of the merchandise for  $149.99 plus tax, then the price of the item is $174.98 and to say otherwise is idiotic"

manager  "well, the price is only $149.99"

anyhow...this went on for a bit and then I surrendered to the stupidity and went and bought a desk over at (((competitor's name redacted))).

Funniest thing is that I spend about $1300 a quarter at their print center and will now start using (((redacted))) for everything.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2009 10:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/OFFICE-DEPOT/Boca-Raton-Florida-33496/OFFICE-DEPOT-Bait-and-Switch-PricingMust-Pay-for-Delivery-on-In-store-Selection-Boca-R-533639. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on OFFICE DEPOT

Sorry but thats not completly true

AUTHOR: salesexpert - (USA)

For about four years working there yes anything over $50 was free delivery. Recently however many furniture items have had shipping fees added to them. I don't know if its the rising cost of fuel or shipping costs or whatever. I agree it sucks and it has led to a lot of unhappy customers. Believe me as an associate I'm not real happy about it either.

What? o.O

AUTHOR: NJel - (USA)

Delivery fee? Bogus. Knowledge is power, so allow me to equip you with it. I don't know if you still shop with Office Depot or not, but, as an associate, allow me to side with the customer on this one. Any total of purchase totalling more than $50 is an automatic $0 charge for delivery; in other words, since the desk was $150, there should've been NOOOO delivery fee.

If they don't believe you have them pull up the GMil order form, and it will say on the bottom "Shipping: $0".

Also, if I were the manager, I would have just overrode the delivery price to $0 if it WAS that big of an issue instead of trying to argue with you; afterall, arguing with a customer is unprofessional and just dumb because in today's system you're not going to win unfortunately. It's best to just learn from the mistake and take care of the customer.

Can't blame the customer for this one lol