Complaint Review: ONE KINGS LANE

• Submitted: Sun, September 11, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, March 02, 2013

• Reported By: aretheyserious — los angeles California United States of America
ONE KINGS LANE

ONE KINGS LANE Opportunistic Idiots Pompous Invasive retards Freaks Weidos Rip Off Poor Bad Customer Service Internet

*General Comment: For the Home Seamstress

*General Comment: One Kings Lane specializes in Flash Sales

*General Comment: ARe you kidding me about not sewn borders?

*General Comment: Nothing is wrong with One Kings Lane

*General Comment: One King's Lane is fine

*Consumer Comment: Table Cloth Comment

*General Comment: It's Free and No Different from other places

*Consumer Comment: Tablecloth Looks Fine To Me

*Consumer Comment: I bought many items from them, so far I have no problem

*Consumer Comment: Goods did not match photo of product

*General Comment: One Kings Lane is in fact a rip off

*Consumer Comment: You need to do your research....

*Consumer Comment: No thanks. I'll keep my personal information private.

*Consumer Comment: Um, it's FREE to join

*Consumer Comment: One Kings Lane - Do not pay anything until they show you what you are buying!

*General Comment: and?

*Consumer Comment: Smells awfully PHISHy

*Consumer Comment: I love One King's Lane

What kind of store stops you from entering to see what they are selling and demands that you sign up and become a member? One Kings lane . Is this for real? I don't know if I want to bee a member until I see what they're selling. how obnoxious and outrageous can you be. Join out CULT and then we'll tell you what we're selling. Well what are they selling ? your email address and information? Why would a store demand that you join just to look. I never heard of these idiots and i'm hope to never hear of them again. I look before I sign up for anything and hopefully you will too.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2011 10:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ONE-KINGS-LANE/internet/ONE-KINGS-LANE-Opportunistic-Idiots-Pompous-Invasive-retards-Freaks-Weidos-Rip-Off-Poor-B-775434. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ONE KINGS LANE

#1 General Comment

For the Home Seamstress

AUTHOR: Janalina - (United States of America)

I "sew" as well. In addition I have decades of experience in the garment industry and I have worked with manufacturers from all over the world. I have extensive knowledge regarding textiles. There is good quality and their is bad quality in all applications. Simply because something is printed does not mean it is of poor quality., just as having an applied border does not automatically mean high quality. Properly manufacturing an item with an engineered print, such as a border design, is a technically advanced production technique as opposed to simply sewing two fabrics together.

#2 General Comment

One Kings Lane specializes in Flash Sales

AUTHOR: New Yorker - (United States of America)

One King's Lane is no "cult." Instead, it is one of a growing number of merchants who sponsor "flash sales."  These are sales of limited quantity items.  Gilt Group and Century Twenty-one, among other merchants sell goods this way.  All of these merchants require that you subscribe to a list so that you can be notified when goods are available.

I am an independent contractor who occasionally works at this company when it is especially busy helping to proof its offerings.  I have seen items sell out right in front of my eyes while I was confirming that everything was correct.  As I said, very limited quantities.

Flash sales are not for everyone.  Sometimes you can be stuck since some items are final sale only.  However, the company furnishes its own offices from its catalog offerings.  I have sat in chairs that they sell and used tables from their catalog.  Many decor items such as pillows or art are used liberally in their own offices.  From what I have seen, the quality is quite good and the items are higher end.

If it doesn't work for you, don't do it, but please don't smear a merchant just because it does business in a way that you don't like.  There are different stores for different customers.  They have not wronged you.  You just haven't tried them at all.

#3 General Comment

ARe you kidding me about not sewn borders?

AUTHOR: Ondrea - (U.S.A.)

To the person saying a dyed border is *better* than a sew one is clearly has no idea for the value of sewed items or a troll representing the company. I sew and I can tell you a sewn border far and away improves the quality of a table clothe or anything sewn for that matter. It takes time and patience to sew a nice  border with perfect mitered corners.

I know, I sew. So if you think a poorly massed produced dyed edge is better, well you're the perfect person to buy over priced sub-par products from places like Zulilly. BTW, I clicked on the link listed on facebook and as soon as I seen that they force you to give your info in order to *look* I realized they are not a legitimate company and left the website.

#4 General Comment

Nothing is wrong with One Kings Lane

AUTHOR: New Yorker - (United States of America)

I have temped many times for One King's Lane and have seen some of the goods for sale used in our offices.  There is nothing wrong with either the company or the goods.  I can imagine that it is annoying to have to provide your email, but this is common practice today and is used by sites like Gilt Group and the flash sale site of Century 21.

The company is successful and expanding.  It offers a wide array of brand name products, including famous makers like Cusineart.  There is no reason not to join if you want to see the stuff.  It doesn't cost a penny.  You can also google whatever you have your eye on to see what others are saying about the product.  They also sell vintage stuff and that may be trickier, but if you realize that something made a century ago isn't new, you should be fine.

#5 General Comment

One King's Lane is fine

AUTHOR: New Yorker - (United States of America)

There's nothing wrong with One King's Lane.  I am not an employee, but have helped as a temp in their offices.  I've personally seen many of the products for sale because they are used in the office, are photographed there or are reference samples.  If you don't like the goods or the way they do business, please feel free to go where you prefer, but it is a real and thriving business that is expanding like mad.  The stuff is beautiful.

Table Cloth Comment

AUTHOR: I was ripped off! - (United States of America)

Hi- I saw your note about the photo that I posted and how it was clearly a non-mitred table-cloth.  I know it's hard to tell with the tiny photo I posted but the original was quite large and it was easy to tell that there was a seam down through the blue border.  If you look closely at the small photo (enlarged) you can still see it.  Believe me, there's a big difference between this and what I received (and see the post about the resin, not wood, frame from someone else).  Misrepresentation seems to be a common problem here.

#7 General Comment

It's Free and No Different from other places

AUTHOR: kp - (United States of America)

One Kings Lane is free to join, all they want is email and name.  I had to give that (and had the option to give more! no way!) to log in to type this review.  They do not ask for credit card, address, phone, or any other info until you actually order something.

And also, it is really no different then say a Costco membership.  Back before the internet, you had to pay for membership to enter the store, so no previewing (remember: no website back then) unless you had a friend with a card.  And you paid for that membership.

This complaint is really unfounded, don't shop there if you find it offensive to give an email address...frankly, that's why you make a junk mail account.  I have read other places that they just use it to send you daily ads.  This seems to be the only place I have found a complaint

Tablecloth Looks Fine To Me

AUTHOR: Janalina - (United States of America)

The photo posted of the tablecloth clearly shows that there is no separate mitered trim. It is clearly a printed border. FYI, many of the textiles we buy come from India as they are mastered at manufacturing quality textiles. The hallmark of good linens is not sewn on trim.

I bought many items from them, so far I have no problem

AUTHOR: 55122 - (United States of America)

First of all, you haven't even try the website, and you already complain. It seems to me you just want to complain without any reason or any other proof, seems a bit unfair. I am not part of the company, part of the scam, or whatever you want to say. I used similar website, Totsy, Zulily, etc to buy product that are clearly cheaper than retail price.I bought many wedding gifts from One Kings Lane, all of them are great buy. I bought many dining uttensils and kitchen stuff from them, so far I have no complain. I got some of my furniture from them. The items arrived really fast (within one week through FedEx), nothing breaks. All the items matched the description that were written. You don't trust anything by just looking at the picture, you have to read the description too, read the company policy. If it is written, and you don't read it, by law they lready provide all the info, and by clicking the link to buy something you automatically agree on the company policy. Again READ everything including the small prints. I did research before I buy anything, I usually compare the items with other website that sell the same thing. For example, Global Amici kitchen product, One Kings Lane sold the chip and dip set from this brand for $16. I look at Amazon and TJ Max, both still to this day seels it for about $35-$45/ item, and it looks exactly the same. So, if you have no valid evidence stop complaining, if you don't buy anything from them or out your email under their system it's your right to do so, but don't complain for the sake of complaining.

Goods did not match photo of product

AUTHOR: I was ripped off! - (United States of America)

I love receiving the emails with beatifully photographed products from One King's Lane.  But when I finally ordered an item, the item received did not match the beautiful photograph!

The table cloth (Couleur Nature) that was shown in the picture clearly had a mitred border that was sewn on separately as fine linens usually have.  My tablecloth had a dyed border, produced in India, not beautifully sewn on like the photo showed.  It was a much cheaper product than I would have expected based on the picture.

#11 General Comment

One Kings Lane is in fact a rip off

AUTHOR: Diving Designer - (United States of America)

Personally, I though it was a great idea and appreciated an easy, convenient way to get designer merchandise at a discounted rate.

I finally purchased my first item which was a "reclaimed wooden mirror." The mirror that arrived was actually a cheap resin and contained no wood. The mirror is tagged as non-returnable even though it was falsely advertised. Doens't sound like a credible company to me and I will be removing myself from their mailing list.

You need to do your research....

AUTHOR: MERIM - (United States of America)

I can't believe you are complaining this severely about One Kings Lane.  OKL is one of many flash sale websites that offer limited time sales for consumers.  It only requires you to enter an email address to be able to access the sales.  You had to provide far more information to sign up for this site than you would to sign up for OKL or another flash sale site.  Also if you are not aware of the concept of a flash sale website or refuse to understand the concept (because it sounds like you are not open to the idea...) you must be living under a rock.  Not to mention you are paying far too much money for quality home goods :)

No thanks. I'll keep my personal information private.

AUTHOR: Liz - (U.S.A.)

I see alot of One Kings employees on this string. How else would there be such incredulous responses to a very good point this consumer has made. Are you suggesting that this site is so exciting, different and sure to give me such a unique shopping experience that I need go go quick and sign up for a fake email account just to make a fake registration so I can see what Home Goods, Marshalls or Overstock have without my having to waste time?

I think you are. And for that reason, you are foolish.  I don't care enough.  Too many other excellent shopping opportunities.  Consumer readers of this site, beware of giving your personal information to these sites. They will sell your info and send you spam- guaranteeing you'll see a major increase in junk mail and perhaps even viruses.

Just beware and use your heads.  No online shopping site has that unique merchandise. Especially one that forces you to input your personal data before you buy.

Um, it's FREE to join

AUTHOR: FlamingoNut - (United States of America)

If you're so concerned about giving out your email, open up a new one just to join.  There's no cost, that I can see of.  I found this thread while researching this website.  Calm down...

One Kings Lane - Do not pay anything until they show you what you are buying!

AUTHOR: rmspam - (United States of America)

I too am appalled at a company that wants you to pay them prior to seeing what they actually sell. This is not only an inapproprirate business practice, it borders on scamming people. What if their products are junk? Why are you not given a full refund if you don't like their stuff? Why is it that you have to pay just to see what they might or might not have?  All of it is absolutely ridiculous. Stay away. If a business is legitimate and has real products at real savings that regular folks can afford and want to buy, telling people you can't see any of those products until you pay them upfront for the "priviledge" and give vast personal information to the suspect company is a red flag on its face. Stay far far away from a company like that. Frankly, the only people I've seen saying they "love" OKL are those who I suspect are part of the pyramid sales force they set-up to mimic the old "Builders Direct" scam of the same ilk.

Bottom line: If a company has legitimate products, they are ALWAYS more than happy to let you know what they are before asking you to pay to just see them. Go elsewhere.

#16 General Comment

and?

AUTHOR: neil rand - (United States of America)

since the Ripoff Report requires the same information, what are you complaining about? Have you ever bought anything from OKL, or is this just a meritless rant?

Smells awfully PHISHy

AUTHOR: G - (U.S.A.)

Mandatory registration just to *view* an online shopping site? And if you fall for that, they follow up with a cheerful "while you're at it, how about giving us your friends email addresses too?". All this just to walk in the door? Really??? I think I'll do my shopping with someone who wants my business, not my personal information.

I love One King's Lane

AUTHOR: daisy - (United States of America)

I think One Kings Lane is an amazing site for the consumer. It is a great way to save money on home decorating items.  It also lets you shop the collected items from the best designers in our industry.  You need to get over yourself.  If you dont want to join delete the email.  You need to find something more important to focus on then complaining about a successful online e-tailer.