Complaint Review: OPTION ONE MORTGAGE

• Submitted: Thu, October 14, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, April 07, 2006

• Reported By:CLOVER South Carolina
OPTION ONE MORTGAGE
6501 IRVINE CENTER DRIVE IRVINE, California U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

OPTION ONE MORTGAGE RIP-OFF'S, ARROGANT, RUDE, SCAMMING FOR LATE CHARGES WHEN ITS NOT LATE, TRAINING TECHNIQUES SKILLS ARE THE PITS. IRVINE California

*Consumer Suggestion: Dealing With Option One's Nonsense

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: option one is bad take a step back and look at yourself

*Consumer Comment: What company isn't stealing money?

*Consumer Comment: Option One a Very Decent Mortgage Company

I have been dealing with Option One since 1999. At first they were find, until my husband's business (which was trucking) closed down due to a fire and was out of work. We contacted Option One and let them know that we may be late on the payments, but that we would try not to be if at all possible. Well, that did not last with them. They would call us continuously harrassing us and threatening to foreclose on our home. Well, in the meantime, my husband and I decided to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy because of his business, but that we did not include Option One in this. We felt that we could get things caught up with them, which in turn we did. Well I have to say for 3 years "it was so peaceful" because of the federal law they could not contact us.

About a year into the bankruptcy, apparently a check was bounced in July of 2001 and I was not notified by Option One (as well as my oversight) they waited until we fell over their 15 day grace period and tried to foreclose on the home again. Well, being in a chapter 13, they have to go through the U.S. Bankruptcy courts and our attorney. Well, we came to an agreement, which was to pay our regular payments plus an additional $286.00 for 6 months, which my husband and I did this faithfully. All of the late fees and attorney fees were included so they would be taken care of.

On August 28, 2004, my husband and I were finally out of the bankrupcty and low-and-behold, on September 21, 2004 we get a certified letter from GUESS WHO? Option One, threatening saying that we owed them August and September. Well, since the recent problem we had with them, we have been sending their payment every month with confirmation so that we have our proof. Well, they have had both of my payments since September 11, 2004 at 9:15am, which I called them and told them. Well, they insist that they did not have the September one but the August one was there. Well, both of those payments were in the same envelope.

On October 8, 2004 I received a phone call from one of their obnoxious customer service insisting that I will need to pay september and october. I again informed her that they have the September one. She informed me that maybe "it was lost in the mail". Well, sending it by confirmation I had already knew that they had it. I told her this, well she puts me on hold for about 5 minutes and comes back and says that they don't have the September one, well I was furious because in the meantime they either lost the check or was trying to hold it so that I would pay October and they would have an extra payment.

Well I told her that I would stop payment on that check and give her one over the phone, again placed on hold for 10 minutes, and this supervisor comes on and tells me that "if I knew how to do my banking then I would know that the August payment bounced", well I informed him that i did know this and in that envelope was a certified money order for August and a personal check for September. Well, he puts me on hold again and I get the other women that I talked with prevous who tells me to give her a payment over the phone, which was fine by me, Well, again I get placed on hold and the supervisor comes back on and says "no, we can not take your check you will either have to western union the money or a money order, which was fine, I told him on Monday, October 11, 2004 I would go to my bank (unaware that it was a holiday) and send a money order.

Well because of the holiday on Monday, October 11, 2004, I went to my bank Tuesday, October 12, 2004 and got a money order for the September payment along with a late fee. Well, I did not have my account number with me so I called Option One to get my account number.

Well, I got the pleasure of talking with one of their "obxinous customer service people again. This one "takes the cake". He tells me that I was supposed to do this Monday (which was a holiday) and I told him this so MR BRIGHTNESS tells me I should have gone to the ATM (hello, you can only get $250 at the machine in one transation), know mind you I was only calling to get a account number, then he proceeds to tell me that i have over $1,000 in late fees, which I told him that it was paid previously while i was in the bankruptcy with the extra payments we had to make for 6 months, he insist i was wrong, i told him that I had asked for my check back as well as a 24 month history.

Well, MR BRIGHTNESS informs me that I am late and wants to know why? Well, I told MR CLUELESS that you "people" held that check and never notified me. He states that they (OPTION ONE) was not aware that I was out of the bankruptcy and could not notified me, HELLO, they notified me on September 21, 2004. Talk abouta liar and I told him this. Then MR CLUELESS tells me to "just hang on to that payment and wait and send it with the one that I'm sending on October 15, 2004". I told him that I was not going to do this and PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! just give me my account number.

After 2 hours of this harrassment, MR CLUELESS finally gave me my account number and I told him that I send it with confirmation and have since 2001 and will continue to do so. I can not believe that a company can treat people with the disrespectful that these people do.

My husband insits that we will never see the check or the 24 month history payment either, which he is probably right. Now in the meantime I have never in 5 years been over 30 days late with them and my husband and I are going to refinance the house so that we can get away from them (Option One). But before we do I will consult with an attorney on them. After reviewing this report there have been 36 complaints against these people and for the life of me, there still in business. Just about every complaint is the same: customer service problems, holding payments so they can get late charges, fraudently represented themselves. I don't care what my husband and I have to do but I will make sure these people will pay for their mistakes.

My only "peace of mind" was when we were in the chapter 13. But with the refinancing going on I will finally get some peace, because we do not care who we get as long as we are away from these people at Option One. I agree that the Department of Corporation in the State of California needs to review and audit these people for the misreprentation that they perform and just maybe with enough complaints and people writing to the state of california something will be done.

Maribeth
CLOVER, South Carolina

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Option One

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/14/2004 07:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/OPTION-ONE-MORTGAGE/IRVINE-California/OPTION-ONE-MORTGAGE-RIP-OFFS-ARROGANT-RUDE-SCAMMING-FOR-LATE-CHARGES-WHEN-ITS-NOT-LATE-112917. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on OPTION ONE MORTGAGE

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Dealing With Option One's Nonsense

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

We had a mortgage with Option One also. We found the problem with posting or holding payments was not actually with Option One, but with their processing company, which, at that time, was in Los Angeles. After about the third month of them calling and asking where the payment was, we finally started to mail them Express Mail so we could print out the confirmation from the post office site on the Internet. The next month when they called on or about the 2nd or 3rd of the month, we told them the payment had been received by their processing company on the 25th of the previous month.

It was well worth the extra money for Express Mail, and this stopped the office staff in Irvine from ever calling us again. When Option One allowed us to pay through their web site, we didn't have one bit of trouble with that process, but we did have to watch them to make sure it was credited in a timely manner. If you are looking for a payoff amount, the web site is a good source, and that's what we used when we refinanced with another company. Another trick they pulled through out the duration of our loan with them, was they would say we did not have insurance on the property and they would have to assign insurance if we did not prove we had coverage.

We had a great insurance agent, and she took to faxing them proof every six months so they could not put in place forced insurance. They are not a great company to do business with, but I don't think they are the worst. We were glad to refinance at a lower rate with a proper bank and get away from them.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

option one is bad take a step back and look at yourself

AUTHOR: Hector - (U.S.A.)

i use to work with option one. not a bad company at all. when you decide or something comes up where you cant make your payment. then there is going to be peoblems. you signed a contract. the contract does not state that they have to be compassionate or hey maybe let you skip a payment. i think not and i saw it a lot. which is why i quit that place. a good paying job but when you have to deal with people like the one we got in here its not even worth the drive or the money.
ps . next time. make your payments by phone at least you can get a confirmation number and geez its only 2 dollars!!!!!!

What company isn't stealing money?

AUTHOR: Jamie - (U.S.A.)

We have been waiting for over a month for a payoff .... which would help us sooo much and that is what they know...if they let us pay them off they can't play games with us anymore...the monopoly game that is.. Susan, if this is such a great company why is it sooo hard for them to fax a payoff letter? Unless nobody in this "WONDERFUL company " can figuire the machine out.....I myself have figured out how to fix the chain of who actually hold the loan that fairbanks(select Servicing idiots) messed up... but hey i'm just a stupid idiot who likes her home and wants to keep raising her family in it... they got their money these companies just want all they can get ...get you out and make more putting someone else in ...in hopes they can screw them too... kinda like prostitution if you aked me. GOD will be the one to judge... but from my veiw point they are all going straight to hell.... oh by the way we were supposed to close on our refinance with a company who doesn't sell off their loans to feed the sharks... so yes I AM PISSED!!! I will Fight harder then before...

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

I read with some interest your comments about having OPTION ONE a your mortgage company, and how bad they are. I have had OPTION ONE as my mortgage company since 1998, and have had absolutely NO PROBLEMS with them. The only difference between us, I guess, is that I make my payments on time. I have never been contacted by them, never been mistreated and never had any miscommunication. Make your payments on time. You will see a much better working relationship. It's not the lenders fault when you decide you can't pay.