Complaint Review: Oakwood Acceptance Corporation,LLC

• Submitted: Mon, January 26, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, January 29, 2004

• Reported By:Crab Orchard West Virginia
Oakwood Acceptance Corporation,LLC
P.O.Box 35807 Greensboro, North Carolina U.S.A.

Oakwood Acceptance Corporation, LLC ripoff, harrassed, bothersome, mean, cruel, noncaring, If your late they will tell you your tresspassing on their property. Greensboro Charlotte North Carolina

*Author of original report: just because I'm a single mom of 2 doesn't mean I should have to put up with this

*Consumer Suggestion: They are out of line with this unprofessional conduct, and are somewhat close to blackmailing

*Consumer Comment: Idle threats... They can't use the sherriff to evict you unless they get a judgement in court first

I have owned my home for almost two years now. these people have put me through pure hell. I am a single parent of two, and I have been a little bit late on payments, but the way they treat you is unforgettable. they have had me cring on the phone several times. I found this website trying to get a hold of them to talk about when I can make my next payment, and I am so glad I did! I want everone to know how these people work. Right now I am one month behind and I had just made a payment the other day. When I made that payment, they said,"well, where is Januarys?"

I have been told I should go to the salvation army by them, They also told me that I was tresspassing on property that belonged to them and to vacate the home immediatly, or they were going to send the sheriff's department out to put a pad lock on my door. they said, you better just give it up, you can't afford this home.
I told them that I would make a payment on monday and that wasn't good enough. I had to have it on Friday or I might as well go to the homeless shelter. I told them, "I have 2 kids and everything but she interrupped me and said,"don't call here wanting sympathy!""Don't even call here again if you don't have your payment on Friday!!!" they said ,"your like the little boy who cryed wolf!!!! Vacate our home!!! I will have to say that I would understand if I was like 3 months pass due but I'm only 1 month late!!! I am going to contact the better business people, and I hope that some other people join me.They need to STOP TREATING PEOPLE LIKE THIS! WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS!!!!! I have to deal with these people for five more years, and Iwshed I didn't!!!

I am going to start taping every conversation I have with these people, and I suggest that if there is other people like me, do the same thing. WE DON"T HAVE TO TAKE THIS ABUSE!!!!!!!

MISTREATED AVERAGE AMERICAN FROM WEST VIRGINA!

Bridget
Crab Orchard, West Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/26/2004 08:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Oakwood-Acceptance-CorporationLLC/Greensboro-North-Carolina-27425-5807/Oakwood-Acceptance-Corporation-LLC-ripoff-harrassed-bothersome-mean-cruel-noncaring-78220. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Oakwood Acceptance Corporation,LLC

Hello,
Thankyou for the comments that I have recieved on this matter. I recently called and refused to speak with no one less than the collections manager. I spoke with him and explained how Mrs. Watkins, and Mrs. Gwin, and Mrs. Taylor had treated me on the phone.(which was cruel and devistating.) At one point, they had put me on 3_way, just to demand the payment that I owed! Believe me, some of the things they said, I'm not even going to write, due to imbarressment. But anyway, When I talked to him, and his name was David, He was really civil... He worked with me, but still wanted payment wich I understand to a point... but they'e is no excuse for how I was treated the last time. I told him about it and he was more than willing to work with me at that point.He told me to call his extention the rest of the time. I feel good about talking to him, he was really understanding, but I still can't get over how I was treated before. I know that it's just their job, but still, they're is something not right about that company.I called onced, and just because I had made arrangments with someone else, the lady, called back and acused me of trying to getting out of paying. Remember, I'm still only one month behind. She had called me back and said,"I know what your trying to do, PLAY GAMES!!!" I said what! when she called,I was in the shower, and she told my nine year old son,Tyler, it was an emergancy!!!! I am curantly trying to get caut up on my payment, which I almost have, and will for sure in a few days. I just don't think its right the way these people abuse innocent working americans..It's not right.
Thank you for all your comments, and if there is anymore suggestions, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.... I do have a lawyer that I have talked to about this Harrassment and I'm not wanting to file any civil charges at this point, but, one more chance is all they are going to get....just because I'm a single mom of 2 doesn't mean I should have to put up with this......... Feedback is welcome.........

#4 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Jacqueline - (U.S.A.)

They should not harass you this way, even if you called them. They are way out of line, and this has to stop.

Now, I have a lot of information here. This will take some time, but what we have to do is get you ready for future potential conflicts.

You have resided in this property for 2 years, and are trying to contact them to make payments. This is good, and opens a lot of doors for you.

You have Rights as an American and a State Resident of West Virginia. There are laws, and they have to abide by those laws, just like the rest of us.

From what I understand you were in the process of searching for contact information on Oakwood Homes. This is what I found:

www.oakwoodhomes.com

Registrant:
Oakwood Homes
7800 McCloud
Greensboro, NC, 27409-9634
Phone: 1-336-664-2383 or 1-877-854-1999
Fax: 1-336-664-2541

This information is soon to expire on 2-10-2004, but will more than likely be confirmed and updated, because they have had this site since 1996.

I also have an email for bdavis@oakwoodhomes.com, although I would not recommend this for your sole source of communication.

While I pray you have made that payment by now, you should be VERY careful with your payment method. Create a solid valid paper trail, which leaves you with "Proof of Payment". For this payment venu, banks are the best. A valid bank money order, debit or check creates a built in legitamate third party payment record. The bank will not lie about when the payment was sent, and when that payment was accepted. There records are good in possibly all States of the Union, and the Courts.

Now I have some other options for you to consider. I am unaware of your financial situation. You might be middle class or other, but as a single parent, this qualifies you for certain services. A lot of people don't think they qualify, because they work or are at a certain income level above the Federal Poverty Limit.

This is the West Virginia phone number for Public Inquiries: 1-304-558-8290. You might share your experience with them to see if they have some pointers.

There is also the West Virgina Department of Health & Human Resources, Bureau for Children and Families. They have their own web page: http://www.wvdhhr.org which provides options for family assistance. This is where I learned that you still might qualify for help.

From their site this is what I found:

"EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE"

"The emergency assistance program is used to assist individuals and families in meeting a financial crises when they are without available resources. The program is designed to provide short-term emergency financial assistance with which eligible individuals and families may obtain items or services needed to eliminate an emergency or crisis. Items of need include: rent, utilities, food, household supplies, clothing, transportation and medical service. Assitance is limited to 30 consecutive days during any 12 consecutive months." http://www.wvdhhr.org/bcf/family_assistance/ea.asp-page 1 of 1, print date: 1-28-2004

This is from the Chapter 19 of Income Maintenance Manual. According to West Virginia Human Resources. I am not assuming you are at poverty level or unemployed, but still as a single parent you might qualify for certain services.

It was mentioned that you have children. Here is a service that might help you cut corners, so that making that payment might become easier: Children's Health Insurance Coverage (CHIP), call 1-887-KIDS-NOW (1-877-343-7669) toll free. They provide State by State info. It's just another option to consider, if you have 5 more years to go through dealing with these people.

Share the experience of harassment you had with ALL resources you contact. This is a possible violation of Federal Law, according to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, under:
"Unfair Practices"

A debt collector cannot, "threaten to take any nonjudical action to effect dispossesion or disablement of property IF--
(B) there is no present intention to take possession of property". This is from Federal Law, and is immune to State Legislation. Any contract you signed with them does not make them a small government above FEDERAL LAW.

I am merely troubleshooting based on the threats they allegedly made to take your home away from you. What leads me to believe a possible violation is that they are threatening to take your home, at one point, but will accept payment, and let you stay at another. This becomes an empty threat. This is also just borderlining on "blackmail", because they are placing the fear that you will lose your home, when in reality a repossesion or forclosure is not in progress.

If you want to record your phone calls with them, FIRST call your non-emergency police department phone number. Most departments have community divisions, which will specify what is legal, and what is not legal. Get that cleared up, before you record those phone calls. Tell them what happened.

This is just information to consider. This is not a supplement for professional legal advice, and is not exhaustive or all inclusive.

I have not tried any of this contact information.

I did spend some time at certain websites to try and make sure the information was applicable to your situation, and could bring results.

Get back to us if this harassment continues further, and include what specific threats were made in your dealings with them. Save your Rip-off Reports.

SAVE ALL of your proof of payment records for the next 5 years, each and every one.

I really hope this helps, and apologize if you have this information already. In the area of Human Resources let us know if this is a dead end. There might be other options.

Rip-off Report
Volunteer

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

The last thing they want to do is throw you out of the home. Countless repossessed mobile homes sit unsold because no one wants to buy them. If they threw you out, you'd have no incentive to pay them any more and they wouldn't get any money out of the deal. It'd become just another rapidly depreciating hulk by the roadside.

They can't use the sherriff to evict you unless they get a judgement in court first. The threats they've made are illegal and you should tape them and go to the Attorney General. Be sure to tell them that you are taping whenever they call you. They tend to become a lot more civil then. The WV attorney general appears to be quite consumer-friendly.