Complaint Review: Obie's Chinese Crested - Billi Lawrence - Nancy Haugsness

• Submitted: Tue, February 24, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, February 28, 2009

• Reported By:Austin Texas
Obie's Chinese Crested - Billi Lawrence - Nancy Haugsness
1030 Atchison Street Atchison, Kansas U.S.A.

Obie's Chinese Crested - Billi Lawrence - Nancy Haugsness Sold me an Abused and Neglected Dog Atchison Kansas

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Out of Town

*Author of original report: Billi Lawrence Does Not Take Responsibility for Her Own Actions of Dog Abuse!

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: New Owner Changed "CC" name

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Obie's See Me With Your Naked Eye

Four months ago, I purchased a Chinese Crested advertised on Puppy Find from Billi Lawrence with ObiesHomestead.com. The dog See You With Your Naked Eye CC was 11 months old and advertised as previously being a show hopeful that had received show-quality training and was used to being groomed on a regular basis. I expected a well adjusted, happy, healthy dog. When I picked her up at the airport on October 23, 2008, I was shocked by her appearance. She was so skinny and bony, my hand encompassed her waist. She did not look like the same dog pictured on Puppy Find. The pictures posted depicted a healthy looking dog. It is obvious that the photos were several months old. In all five of the pictures, the fur on her ears was clipped short and her body hair had been shaved to her skin. The dog I received had her hair grown out at least 2 inches on her ears.

This dog was extremely underweight upon arrival. Her hip bones and spine were protruding. It was apparent by her clean fur that she had recently been groomed, but I still found three fleas crawling in her fur around her head and neck area. She was diagnosed with a Dipylidium caninum infection (tapeworms) by our Veterinarian. Our Vet stated tapeworms are contracted by fleas. "CC" had a large build-up of yellow and brown plaque around her gum line that required dental cleaning while under anesthesia to remove.

Prior to purchasing this dog, I asked Billi about the dog's personality and was sent the following response:

CC is a HHL, she has an outstanding personality, she gets along well with other dogs and cats, she has been raised around children and older adults and loves everyone. CC is really a true love bug, she runs to my chair jumps up in my lap and snuggles down for a nice warm nap, she
usually won't get up until I just have to and make her get down. She also > has a tunnel bed and I tell her to go to bed and she darts in and turns around so quick and then peaks her head out. It is soooo cute to watch.
Billi Lawrence
Obie Chinese Cresteds and Chihuahua's

None of these statements made by Billi were true with the exception that "CC" is a HHL. She does not get along well with any of our dogs, she was extremely anxious and nervous around dogs and people. She growled out of fear of anything unknown, which included, but not limited to, other dogs or people walking near her, noises from the television, the sound of aluminum foil being torn from the box. She crouched down when approached, as if she was going to urinate. She didn't initiate jumping on anyone's lap. She didn't respond to her name; "CC", and had no concept of the phrase, Go to bed. She was not housebroken and extremely food aggressive to the point where she would growl and charge at our other dogs if they tried to eat. This dog had obviously been abused by being starved, her health care was neglected, and her temperament was adversely affected from lack of positive, caring attention.

I paid $1200 for "CC", which I believe is on the high-end for a pet. I did not receive a healthy, well adjusted, happy dog. I did not receive the AKC Registration for See You With Your Naked Eye CC. I did not receive any documentation regarding current vaccinations, Veterinarian examination, Health guarantee, or Pedigree details. I requested the AKC Registration and current vaccinations from Billi several times. Billi initially told me that she thought she included the documents with the shipment, but she must be wrong so she would mail them. The documents were not received, so I asked again about a week later and Billi did not respond.

Austin, TX
Austin, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/24/2009 09:19 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Obies-Chinese-Crested-Billi-Lawrence-Nancy-Haugsness/Atchison-Kansas-66002/Obies-Chinese-Crested-Billi-Lawrence-Nancy-Haugsness-Sold-me-an-Abused-and-Neglected-427890. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Obie's Chinese Crested - Billi Lawrence - Nancy Haugsness

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Out of Town

AUTHOR: Obie's - (U.S.A.)

I am out of town at the moment and don't have much time but all I wanted to let you know that if you believe everything people say about other people, such as with baldpark slamming me, then you have a lot to learn.

As far as CC goes I will address it as clear and to the point as I can. CC was not in any way shape or form abused by me or while I had here!

Also when bandit went home he was not in any way underweight, thin, or whatever you want to call it. He was removed from another handlers hands and given to me emaciated, wormy and full of acne and black heads. When he went home he had none of these problems. I tried to post pictures of him on here twice but neither time did it work. Sorry.

Also all four of these other people who have written on here are good friends. In 12 years I have never had anyone post on here about me. But just because they did does not make it true and accuate.

Billi Lawrence Does Not Take Responsibility for Her Own Actions of Dog Abuse!

AUTHOR: Austin, tx - (U.S.A.)

Billi Lawrence, I will address the responses in your rebuttal to inform everyone concerned. I am not interested or concerned with your excuses, since you have proven many times that you are not capable of logical sound reasoning. I made a mistake by not alerting everyone I knew about the condition CC was in when I received her. If others had been aware of my experience with you and the condition of the abused, neglected dog I purchased from you - CC, then it may have prevented others from trusting you in the care of their own dogs.

I contacted you several times to provide immunization records and the AKC registration for See With Your Naked Eye "CC" without any results from you. It made me realize that you were not responsible or ethical and as the behavior problems in CC began to emerge, I concluded that she had been abused and neglected while in your care.

Your entire defense for CC's health condition and temperament is to hold up an email I sent to you on the day CC arrived. The positive tone of my email was only to assure you that CC had arrived and was settling in. As usual you did not address the real issues with CC in your rebuttal. The fact is that CC was extremely underweight, with her hip bones and spine protruding from her skin. She had tapeworms and fleas. Her teeth were in bad condition with plaque build-up. CC was anxious and nervous upon her arrival, which I initially attributed to a traumatic airplane flight. She did run around in our backyard with our other dog with a new sense of freedom from being locked in a crate. However, as each day progressed more signs of mistreatment emerged.

CC temperament was the direct effect of neglect and abuse. We could hold CC, but she remained stiff and tense for at least ten minutes before relaxing. It took her weeks before she initiated jumping onto our laps. When walking towards her or reaching down to pet her, CC would squat nervously. CC was food aggressive. This behavior did not appear until a few days after she arrived. The dog bowls are separated by at least five feet and are staggered around our kitchen bar. CC would run around a 12 ft kitchen bar to guard the food from our other dogs while charging & growling. She chased her tail obsessively many times during each day. CC was renamed. We initially considered naming her something that sounded similar to CC, so she would not be confused. But the fact is that she did not respond to the name CC at all. Your statement about how she runs to your chair, jumps in your lap, to snuggle down for a nap, sounds like it was plagiarized from the story the Night Before Christmas.

And to answer one of your questions, yes I have watched the U Tube video of See you With Your Naked Eye CC. It was one of the deciding factors in my decision to adopt her. She was adorable in the video. She appeared to be a socialized, well adjusted puppy living in a clean environment. The video gave the perception of a happy puppy that was raised in the home of a small-time breeder. With that being said, the video was posted on U Tube in on April 19, 2008, which meant at least 6 months had passed by the time I purchased CC. And that is one of the reasons I was so shocked at the difference in not only her appearance, but also in her personality. I was led to believe she was a well adjusted happy dog that had a lot of attention during training & grooming, got along well with other dogs & cats, and had been raised with children and adults.

When I began to observe all of the behavior problems my initial thought was to send CC back. This was not the dog advertised or presented to me by you. But I remembered the U Tube video of her when she did seem so happy. Even though it had been only a short six months later, I couldn't help but wonder what type of mistreatment she had suffered after the video.

You stated in your rebuttal that you took CC and Callie to a Show in May and everyone played with her. I can only image what happened to her after you determined that CC was no longer a Show Hopeful and had then been relegated to just another dog for you to sell. I imagine she was then kept in a crate with only her tail to play with by chasing it in circles, and her food was limited and not provided at a consistent time, which resulted in her excessive weight loss. You told me during a phone call that CC was trained not to accept hand fed treats and treats were given by throwing them on the ground. So of course this method explains why she was so aggressive in fighting for her food. And you stated that CC would only walk on the left side of me, because of your extensive training.

I wanted a socialized, well adjusted dog with a great temperament. Not an abused, frightened, anxious, nervous, food aggressive young dog that had not even received the basic health care or had not even been housebroken at 11 months old. CC was not given a rabies virus shot until a few days before you put her on the plane. You refused to send her vaccination records, so I can only conclude that she had not received vaccinations for distemper, leptospirosis, parvovirus, or bodatella.

Your rebuttal stated if you had only known about my unhappiness with CC, then you would love to have her back. And that if she was so traumatized, frightened of everything and abused, then I must be the one to blame.

There have been five separate complaints against you for starving dogs in your care and allowing them to suffer with Staph infections all over their bodies, Yeast infections in their ears, and fungus infections on the pads of their feet. You didn't communicate these health problems to any of the owners of the dogs. And you failed to seek medical treatment. None of the infections occurred overnight. And you were obviously aware of the problems, since you took measures to hide the evidence by not sending any photos. You willfully let these dogs suffer for months. What you did to all of these dogs is criminal. And I mean that literally.

Your only response to all of the complaints is to select minor points to dispute without comprehending or responding to the real issue. For example, your excuse for "CC" to act traumtized and frighted of everything, and being unresponsive was a direct result of my changing her name. You said Bandit was pulled from another handler before you handled him and he was already severely underweight and had tons of pimples. By your own admission, you do comprehend when a dog is severely underweight, but you don't address how Bandit stayed severely underweight while in your care or how he had a Staph infection that went untreated. You even went so far off track on your response to the complaint filed by Baldpark that you stated you thought the language in one of Baldpark's email was so disscusting (disgusting) it would make a Big biker boy blush and My mother taught me better than to have a foul mouth and to lie. This statement is so ridiculously infantile to be given as proof of your trustworthiness, especially for a middle-aged woman, such as yourself. You sound like you're a kindergartner in an argument on the school playground. Grow-up and take responsibility for your actions.

As I said before, I paid $1200 for CC, which I consider to be on the high-end for a pet. In reality, I paid $1200 to RESCUE this dog from suffering neglect and mistreatment while in your care. I wouldn't consider sending her back to be further mistreated and abused. You will be disappointed to learn that I have fattened her up to a whopping 9 lbs by feeding her two meals a day.... yes each and every day without fail. She has discovered dog bowls no longer require guarding, because the food just keeps showing-up, each morning and evening. I even give her hand fed treats. I know pretty crazy, but she knows how to sit and wait her turn until her name is called before she gently takes a treat right out of my hand. It's like I have trained a "wild" animal! She doesn't even need to growl or fight another dog to grab it off the floor. And you can no longer see her hip bones or her spine sticking out of her body like an anorexic Supermodel. Her teeth are sparkling white and free of the yellow and dark brown plaque. She has been spayed and received all of her vaccinations to prevent all the common deadly viruses and she is taking Heartworm preventatives. She has the freedom to stay inside all day or play in the backyard with access through a doggie-door. She is never kept caged-up in a crate. She has access to a toy box full of doggie toys and has been completely ignoring her tail as a potential plaything. And when I walk her on a leash each evening, she can walk on either side of me without any problems at all!

#3 REBUTTAL Individual responds

New Owner Changed "CC" name

AUTHOR: Obie's - (U.S.A.)

I just remembered that you had changed "CC"'s name so no wonder she is not responding to you.

I don't know how one min. she is playing in the backyard acting like old friends with my other dog and then the next min. she is traumatized, frightened of everything and abused.

It only makes me concerned about how YOU are treating her.

#4 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Obie's See Me With Your Naked Eye

AUTHOR: Obie's - (U.S.A.)

The dog "CC" was a social outgoing puppy when she was sent to you. She was trained on the table and on the lead. I took her to the Nationals in Denver in May and she was a big hit, many people held her and played with her the whole time where were there. The dog you are describing is not the "CC" I sent. This is the only email that was sent to me after you recieved her. If you are not happy with her I would be more than happy to have "CC" back with me.

Hello Billi - CC is sooo cute! I picked her up from the airport at noon.
I walked her in the park near the airport to pee and she was still a little
nervous. I introduced her to our Crested, China and they hit it off right
away - after she checked out all of the rooms in our house. I stayed home
with them for a couple of hours before returning to work, and they were
both running around together in the backyard like they had been together
for months.

Thanks again! I will send pictures once I get the software installed on my
new home computer.

Gretchen Gatton

You never wrote to me after this informing me of your unhappiness with "CC" or anything else.

"CC" attened many shows and you can ask anyone in the area how "CC" acted at the shows.

I can not say what happened when once you recieved her or how you transitioned her but again if you where unhappy in any way I would have been more than happy to have "CC" back.

I also have youtube video's of CC and you can see how well adjusted she is. Just check out my website on the video page.