Complaint Review: Ocean Moving and Storage

• Updated: Mon, June 11, 2012

• Reported By: aggrivated — Warsaw Missouri United States of America
Ocean Moving and Storage
2810 South Park Road Internet United States of America

Ocean Moving and Storage Over Charged at the last moment and was unreliable for pick up Internet, Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Totally untrue we do not ever ask for tips!!

*Author of original report: Completion of Move

*UPDATE Employee: Missouri complaint

*Author of original report: Clarification

A date was set to pick up the cargo and the company was advised that my wife was out of town and making a special trip to have the items picked up and conduct some legal affairs. She had a limited time that the cargo could be picked up.  A few hours before the scheduled pick up, Sal, from the company notified us that they could not appear.  They stated that they had an incident arise that prevented them from appearing.  They were told ahead of time that the deadline was critical and must be met.  They stated they would make a special trip the next day at a time designated by us.  They were late for that.

They were advised ahead of time that some items may be there that we had not remembered since it was a move involving a decedents estate. They were told that there may be a small couch (settee).  Sal stated that there would be no extra charge.  Upon their arrival, there were 9 extra liquor sized boxes and one settee not accounted for.  The entire shipment was stored in an 8x10 storage shelter that included all the items we notified them of and the few noted that were extra..  They arrived and stated that there was going to be an additional charge that amounted to approximately 30% more than they quoted.  The area they stated caused the increase was supposedly due to square footage.  The items added to the shipment were the one small settee and the 9 liquor sized boxes.  They increased the charge by over $400.  The driver was late arriving and at the end of his loading, demanded a tip of at least 10 percent which would have amounted to approximately $300.  My wife was there alone and carried very little cash due to being a woman, alone and out of town.  They said she could put it on a credit card.  She did not.  They also stated that the additional amount had to be paid before the cargo could be shipped.  We did not.

I demanded a written or email statement from the owner, who reported his name as Ely, which turned out to be a nick name.  He refused to send a written or email statement.

After several phone calls and complaints, the company reduced the charge by $75.

When the furniture was delivered, the delivering company had not been advised of the $75 reduction. They refused to unload the furniture without full payment.  After several phone calls, the matter was resolved and the furniture unloaded.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2012 04:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ocean-Moving-and-Storage/internet/Ocean-Moving-and-Storage-Over-Charged-at-the-last-moment-and-was-unreliable-for-pick-up-I-887769. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ocean Moving and Storage

Totally untrue we do not ever ask for tips!!

AUTHOR: Sal - (United States of America)

This price increase is for additional items,  A sofa/ santee and 9 additional boxes and packing material. This person was not at pickup, nor did he pay for anything. Thus why is he complaining, Is anyone allowed to complain, he signed no contract, he is the husband. The order is not his , His wife was offered 100% momey back in email my us after the pick up  100%  and all our work free!!

Free / fuel/ Truck and time, Free. Please have another mover get this, His wife . who was the customer, said disreguard what he is saying and please send our items. No one ever asked for 10%. tip.

Completion of Move

AUTHOR: aggrivated - (United States of America)

The only reason that I completed the move with this company is because I had no time left to contact another agency. I was in Florida from out of state.  The pick up was scheduled the day before and did not occur.  The subsequent pick up of the shipment the next day left me no time to contact anyone else since my flight was scheduled for the next day and any change in flight would have cost me a cancellation fee as well as additional hotel fees and meals for the length of time it would have taken to get another company to respond.  If I had more time, I would have assuredly used a different company.

Any and all contacts by my husband were made at my request and to assist me.

Missouri complaint

AUTHOR: Sal - (United States of America)

This man never ordered anything, his wife a Probation officer did, she told us after the pick up  all is fine please deliver, we offered to give back all money collected.  She said no ship it please.  Why is he complaining,  We again offered free pick up gas / packing because hewas upset, She said no send it it is fine. I only take orders from the person who is paying, she compalained about nothing, we offered 100% money back after pick up, he dissapeared, We respected her and shipped it, all Good.

Sal

Clarification

AUTHOR: aggrivated - (United States of America)

In our original report, the tip amount is quoted as $300.00.  That is $150 for pick up and $150 for delivery.  Please note that the reference to square footage should read cubic footage of storage space.  The origial quote for moving was $1,053.93.   It ended up being $1,477.68.  The increase was approximatley 40 percent for the addition of 1 settee and 9 liquor sized boxes packed by us.  We were advised ahead of time that any additional boxes would run a little over $3.00 per box. Hence, the increase for the boxes would have been under $40.  The additional $400 was for the settee which was about half the size of a couch.