• Report: #319321

• Updated: Sun, October 11, 2009

• Reported By:Surrey British Columbia
Odenza
600 - 4370 Dominion St., Burnaby, BC Surrey, British Columbia Canada

Odenza, Odenza 2 For 1 Cruise Certificates 2 for 1 Is No Deal and Misleading. As good or better booking elsewhere with better terms Surrey British Columbia

*Consumer Comment: Personal experience

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Confession from ex-employee

We received a 2 for 1 cruise certificate for a Carnival Cruise from a car dealership when we purchased a vehicle.

One will assume that the dealership would have paid Odenza for these certificates. Probably a couple of hundred dollars each. The fee would be minimal for the dealership and Odenza would count on not everyone redeeming their certificates since there is still airfare and hotel to consider when taking one of these cruises.

When I called to inquire about some of the cruises, I was told that they would get back to me with some information about some cruises that may fit my request. Several options were sent to me via very short emails with very little information.

We did pick a cruise however, later found a better itinerary. I called to see if we could change to that one and was told that for the same money we could go from a balcony to an inside cabin and a balcony for approx $795 more. I told Tara that I would speak to my husband. That was Friday.

On Monday, I left voice mail since it is next to impossible to ever reach the person you want to talk to. The call was returned on Tuesday. There was much clicking of the calculator and humming and hawing and checking to be done at this point. Now the bad news, it will cost an additional $392.40 for an outside cabin and $852.40 for a balcony cabin. Apparently the prices went up signifacantly over the weekend.

When I called Carnival directly, guess what???? I could book it for exactly the same price that Odenza could do it for.

The big problem now, since I had already paid the $1471.82 US and had to pay exchange, I am forced to pay the now reduced rate of $326.40 US so for the cruise we want, which is $70 less than the full fare that I could pay to Carnival with cancellation privledges (I could have some cancellation privledges with Odenza for a fee) and I could keep my money until September instead of it being paid right now!

Since we have already used our airmiles for the flight, paid with points for the hotel and train, purchased Disneyworld tickets etc., we will be going on this cruise in December through Odenza however, I would certainly advise anyone asking to really research and go directly with the cruiseline making sure that you can pay a reduced rate should prices go down. Normally once you have paid your deposit you can change anything without penalty until your final payment is due, which is typically 90 days before sailing.

I was very dissatisfied with this whole situation.

Brenda
Surrey, British Columbia
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/19/2008 10:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Odenza/Surrey-British-Columbia-V4N-0K7/Odenza-Odenza-2-For-1-Cruise-Certificates-2-for-1-Is-No-Deal-and-Misleading-As-good-or-319321. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Odenza

Personal experience

AUTHOR: Katerina - ()

I don't believe the report that a former employee of a competitor was forced to write negative reviews about Odenza.  My family has personal experience with being screwed completely over by Odenza and decided to just cut our losses and never trust them again.  There will be no trip for us thanks to Odenza wasting our time and screwing us out of nearly $2,000 that we will never see again!   And we are real consumers!  I suspect that Odenza current employees are being told to pretend they are ex-employees of a competitor to say this.  Odenza is not to be trusted.  Buyer Beware!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Confession from ex-employee

AUTHOR: Justin - (Canada)

I have a confesssion. I was just laid off by Trvel Amercas usa who is a comppetitor of Odenza Marketing Group. I'm furrious with the owner and his practices and I may as well set the record straight now that I am noo longger employed by them. We were forrced to post negative stories about Odenza as our current owner is trying to ruin their reputation. This is wrong I know but the few of us in the department were desperate for work because times are tough so we did it anyway.

We were operating out of California and Surrey BC and I'm going to call rip off reports about it so they get into trouble.

Justin