Complaint Review: Office Depot Performance Protection Plan

• Submitted: Sun, March 09, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, January 01, 2011

• Reported By:Roswell Georgia
Office Depot Performance Protection Plan
www.officedepotservices.com Roswell, Georgia U.S.A.

Office Depot Performance Protection Plan refused to honor performance protection plan. key popped off laptop keyboard and they stated that the PPP does not cover "damage" only hardware and the screen. Roswell Georgia

*Consumer Suggestion: Great Experience with Office Depot Protection Plan

*Consumer Suggestion: Just Call the Store

I purchased the Performance Protection Plan from Office Depot for a Gateway laptop computer. While during normal typing the letter K popped off my laptop. The only way to type the letter K now is to press hard on the area where the key was located. Obviously this makes typing very difficult.

I contacted the support 866-540-0013 today, March 9th 2008, to request service for this laptop. I was informed by Nigel that this was not covered. The only items covered under this warranty he stated was the "hardware and screen."

I went back and read the Terms and Conditions of my contract and could not find any such language. This was a very expensive extended warrranty. I was advised by the saleman at Office Depot that this covered "everything." Learning through the years to read the fine print, I could find no language that this contract covered the "hardware and screen."

I would NEVER buy another service contract from Office Depot because apparently it is only a money making proposition for them. I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience. I also plan to go into the local store where I purchased the laptop to see if I can get any satisfaction.

Roswell, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/09/2008 12:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Depot-Performance-Protection-Plan/Roswell-Georgia/Office-Depot-Performance-Protection-Plan-refused-to-honor-performance-protection-plan-ke-316231. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Depot Performance Protection Plan

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Great Experience with Office Depot Protection Plan

AUTHOR: mlvogeler65 - (United States of America)

I am sorry to hear that so many people have had difficulty with the Office Depot Protection Plans not being honored. I purchased a Toshiba Laptop in April of 2010. I dropped the computer and broke the screen. I took it to the local store that I frequent and started working with a young man who was wonderful.

I didn't have the receipt for the computer but I was sure that I had purchased the plan. He gave me suggestions on how to retrieve my receipt and after about a month I was able to get my receipt showing the purchase of the plan.

I took the receipt in and he worked with me step by step through the process. I received the box, shipped it off and I am now in the process of getting a new screen for my computer.

Another experience was with Best Buy in which I had a Toshiba computer that was two years old. I also had a three year protection plan. In this two years the computer had been in for service 4 times. According to the contract on the forth time, you are to receive a new computer. They told me I was not entitled to a new computer unless the hardware had been replaced three times. The mother board had been replace three times and I challenged the language of the contract. I ended up getting a new computer.

The key is that you just have to not back down and get someone in the store that you can get to help you. I purchase things from Office Depot all the time and I will continue to do so. I believe they are a good business and I am nothing but happy with them.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Just Call the Store

AUTHOR: Matt - (U.S.A.)

I can tell you from personal experience that if you just call the store and ask to speak to a manager, and the key here is to be kind, you'll be on the right path. These people are pretty good at listening to what you have to say and helping you come up with some kind of resolution. Usually, for something like the letter popping off, you can usually just glue the letter back on.

However call the store and kindly explain the situation to a manager and ask them to make a call on your behalf. If you get someone who truly cares about their job they'll take the time to do it and, honestly, probably get you a reasonable resolution.

Give it a shot.