Complaint Review: Office Depot

• Submitted: Sun, May 24, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, June 21, 2009

• Reported By:miami Florida
Office Depot
15033 S Dixie Hwy Miami, Florida U.S.A.

Office Depot Use of False advertisement Miami Florida

*UPDATE Employee: How is this false advertisement?

I got an ad in the mail about a laptop they were selling for $379.00 for two days only. So I went to the store very early in the morning about 8pm, waited for 2 hours outside, then when doors opened, i went to the manager to ask about the laptop in the ad, and when I get it, he tells me that the price is $459.99, so I become angry because is a trick and lie.

He goes to the back room to get the laptop, then comes out and says he's out, and he can only give me the laptop on sample. I tell him that the sample one is already used, and I tell him to give it to me for less price. He refuses, so I left. Please don't trust Office depot, they like to cheat customers, and make them get into long lines for nothing. I don't recommend office depot to anyone.

William
miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2009 06:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Depot/Miami-Florida-33157/Office-Depot-Use-of-False-advertisement-Miami-Florida-454973. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Depot

How is this false advertisement?

AUTHOR: Grm - (U.S.A.)

The laptop you were looking to buy was one of two laptops that were advertised for a special one-week-only sale. The ad clearly stated that quantities were limited. As far as the price being higher than you thought, if I remember correctly, that laptop had an $80 mail-in rebate on it. That wasn't any trick or lie, that was (again) clearly stated in the ad.

As for selling the display, that one would probably have been on display for all of a couple days. Ours was only out for 2 days before we sold it. I don't know this store's policy, but here at my store I usually take off 10% of the price of the laptop if I'm selling a display. Our displays are well taken care of, and password protected so kids don't get on and play games and generally screw things up.

We're not obligated to discount our displays at all when we sell you one. That cuts into our profits and our bottom line, but we do it as a courtesy to our customers. Many times I've sold clearance laptops at a lower price than we paid for it, just to get it out of my store to make room for the new computers. I can tell you though, I suspect that the manager didn't offer to discount that computer for you because you were rude to him. Politeness gets you out the door with a great deal on a computer, rudeness doesn't.