Complaint Review: Office Depot

• Submitted: Fri, December 12, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, December 22, 2008

• Reported By:Bl;ack Hawk South Dakota
Office Depot
1331 W Omaha Street Rapid City, South Dakota U.S.A.

Office Depot Sold me software that does not do what the sales person said it would. Would not refund. Rapid City South Dakota

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Options they're not offering...

*Consumer Comment: Blu-Ray and Nero

*Consumer Comment: a few options

Office Depot sales person told me Nero 9 is what I needed to play Blu-ray movies on my computer. I have a Pioneer bdr-202 Blu-Ray player burner but need software to make it work. After purchasing and loading Nero 9 onto my computer I found that it does not play blu-ray movies. When I tried to get a refund they said no way! I opened the software. Yes I did. I would never have purchased the nero product if the sales person had not lied to me. Why should I be screwed because I trusted a purported expert? I know buyer be ware but what can you do if you are not an expert concerning everthing you buy?

The store manager told me my only recourse was with Nero. Nero customer support said I must deal with the merchant.

How can a company be allowed to prosper by cheating customers?

Laserwolf
Bl;ack Hawk, South Dakota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2008 03:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Depot/Rapid-City-South-Dakota-57701/Office-Depot-Sold-me-software-that-does-not-do-what-the-sales-person-said-it-would-Would-400786. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Depot

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Options they're not offering...

AUTHOR: Atomicknight - (U.S.A.)

the Office Depot store can accept returned software due to customer satisfaction, and have in the past. I've worked in a store that have returned Windows Vista because it wouldn't work on a computer with low requirements. In this case, it was the customers "fault", but most managers don't want any district or regional manager involvement and will fix the issue asap.

For a OD store, $100 refund is nothing, and they can return the software for ANY reason for a credit. I used to be in charge of returning merchandise to manufacturers, and all we had to do was say something like, "didnt load" or 'wasn't working" to get the store a full credit.

Howe long did you have the software? This might be a reason to deny a refund, if too much time has past on electronics. And have the manager identify the employee who gave this incomplete information, your receipt should have all the information he needs to do the research.

the magic words: can I have your name and your district manager number?

Blu-Ray and Nero

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I'd give the employee half credit.

Nero 9 is the only version of Nero that is capable of reading Blu-Ray disks. So they were correct on that point. However, you have to purchase Nero 9 and then purchase the Blu-Ray Plug-In(about $10). Hopefully you have the full version and not "Essentials", as this Plug-In does not work with Essentials. If you do have the full version I am surprised(well not really) that Nero Support didn't tell you this.

You can use google and search for 'nero 9 blu-ray plugin'. The first link should get you what you want.

a few options

AUTHOR: Memyself&i - (U.S.A.)

obviously retailers won't take back opened software. But...you can return for an exchange and sell it on Ebay or Craigslist to recoup some of your money.

Also get the employee's name, managers name, etc. and call corporate and explain the situation. Call a few times and speak to a few different people if you're not getting any results. You might be able to get a gift card or some kind of compensation.