separated

• Updated: Thu, April 14, 2005

• Reported By:Tempe Arizona
Office Max, MAXASSURANCE GE Warranty contract and Brother
Richmond, California U.S.A.

Office Max, MAXASSURANCE GE Warranty contract and Brother International Ripoff. Be aware of their product warranty ripoff scam

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: GE Warranty If the product is still covered by the plan

*UPDATE Employee: We're Sorry...

Hello fellow drummers and friends

Please pass this alone to people in your e-mail list and friends hopefully it may reach Office Max, GE Warranty Management, Inc. and Brother International Corporate Headquarters and these Company take heed to the power of consumers who have patronized or used their products.

Last year (2000), I opened a small business and went to the Office Max, in my area and purchased about 1050.00 worth of office equipment. A fax machine, computer work station and chairs.

In addition to the purchase price I paid extra for their MAXASSURANCE Warranty contract that is administered through GE Management, Inc. July of this year (2001) I began to experience a minor problem with my fax machine which by the way is a Brother MFC7150, so I call up Office Max and explained to them the problem I'm experiencing with this machine I was told since my purchase was over a year old I needed to contact GE Warranty. So I did, as was told, what a mistake all I got from GE Warranty was the run around after spending 45 min on the phone with their customer service I was told to call the manufactuad to pay extra for this to now! So, I tried the other day to get them to honor this contract and wouldn't you know it, I got the same answer as before. However, this time I refuse to be duped again by these two company, this is why I am sending you this e-mail and ask that you send it to as many consumers as you can. Together we can make a difference if anyone else out their has experienced the same problem with either of these two companies as I have please e-mail me back at cpotts6746@aol.com with your opinion.

Peace
Cochise Potts

Click here to read other Rip-off Reports on Office Max

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/28/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Max-MAXASSURANCE-GE-Warranty-contract-and-Brother/Richmond-California/Office-Max-MAXASSURANCE-GE-Warranty-contract-and-Brother-International-Ripoff-Be-aware-o-10164. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Max, MAXASSURANCE GE Warranty contract and Brother

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

GE Warranty If the product is still covered by the plan

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

Hi,

I used to work at Office Max and sold the GE Warranties all the time. If the product is still covered by the plan, they should have told you where to take it to get it repaired. I would call them back and ask for a manager. If that does not work, contact the store manager of the Office Max store where you bought it. You can also complain to the corporate office. You should be able to look up their corporate address and fax number at www.hoovers.com.

If GE and Office Max still do not respond, I would file a complaint with your state attorney general's office and the BBB (www.bbb.org).

Often times, the store manager will make allowances too. Once I had a customer come in to buy a palm pilot. He said he had to buy a new one because the screen on his cracked and the GE Warranty plan didn't cover it. (The new Office Max warranty does cover cracked screens.) Since he still had the product box and receipt, I just swapped it out for him in the store. Not every store manager will do that. But, it's worth a shot. But, definitely complain to the corporate office. They need to know these things.

I hope I helped.

We're Sorry...

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

However, Brother International has no control over the Extended Maintenance Agreements (EMA) offered or sold by its resellers. Brother International does offer its own EMA for most all of the products we manufacture.

I do apologize for the actions of GE Management, Inc. (though I have never dealt with them and have absolutely nothing to do with their company).

If you were out of the Brother International one year warranty and then using the MAXASSURANCE GE Warranty for repairs (and that was not expired) they should have directed you to one of THEIR authorized repair centers, not to Brother International.