Complaint Review: Office Max

• Submitted: Fri, June 19, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, August 28, 2010

• Reported By:Bloomington Illinois
Office Max
1500 E. Empire Street Bloomington, Illinois U.S.A.

Office Max Bad Merchandise, Manager Lied about carrying Chair purchased there repeatedly, I showed him the canceled check and he called me a liar, refusing refund Bloomington, Illinois

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: What happened?

I sat in a leather chair at Office Max and it was really comfortable, well padded. I bought it as a gift for my boyfriend as a late christmas present on January 2, 2009.
This chair is in brand new condition and has rarely been used. He spun around in it to talk to me and a metal bar sticking out the side that we had not noticed tore a large hole in the couch. This was a design flaw, so I took the chair back to the store, and the Manager called me a liar, stating "That is not my chair. I have never carried that chair in this store. You'd have to prove you bought it here." in as nasty a tone I have heard.
I left the store with the chair, went home, got online and checked my bank account and found a copy of the cancelled check in the amount of 107.72 made out to Office Max, on January 2, 2009. I printed it out (front and back) and returned to the store.
I showed the manager his "PROOF", and asked for a full refund because I didn't want to do business with anyone who treated me so disrespectfully. He repeated that was not his chair and that was not proof. He took the copy of the check and said he would send it to corporate to get a copy of the receipt, but that would take at least 3 weeks. He was still very rude and told me to go home and he would call me in a few weeks or so. I explained that I was disabled and needed his help to get the chair back in the car and he said "That's not my chair". I put a small tear in the arm of the chair putting it back in the car, went home got online again and called the corporate headquarters. I gave them the date and the check number and they said they would have it by Tuesday at the latest and would fax it to him.
I told them I didn't trust that guy, and gave them my email address. They said they would email a copy, we'll see.
I asked the corporate guy if they would make sure he refunded my money once they gave him the receipt, he said "NO, That is dependant upon store policy". So even after all of this, and proving this guy is a liar, and being treated badly they may not refund my money anyway.
DO NOT do business with OFFICE MAX!

I went to Office Depot later tonight, they were very nice, I bought a chair for the same price that was 100 times better quality. I am very happy with the Office Depot. They even had a policy which I bought for $15, so if this chair breaks or tears in the next two years, they will give me a gift card for the full price I paid for the chair that I can spend on anything in the store... Plus the chair I bought was on sale for $129.00 and when I got to the register, it wound up being only $99... I love that store!

Sheri
Bloomington, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/19/2009 08:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Max/Bloomington-Illinois-61701/Office-Max-Bad-Merchandise-Manager-Lied-about-carrying-Chair-purchased-there-repeatedly-463129. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Max

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

What happened?

AUTHOR: Reality - (USA)

So what happened, did you get your money back?