Complaint Review: Office Max

Office Max
446 E Edgewood Blvd Lansing, Michigan United States of America

Office Max WON'T HONOR MAXASSURANCE WARRANTY Lansing, Michigan

*UPDATE Employee: RE: Different headset

In February 2010 my son bought a computer headset from Office Max, purchasing the MaxAssurance Warranty. The headset broke and we tried to take it back to the store, where they said that they never sold that brand. They looked the numbers up on the receipt and it came back to another brand, make and model. I tried to explain to them that this headset WAS bought here, I was with my son when he bought it. They refused to honor the warranty, which means that my son is out not only the price of the headset, but the money he paid for the warranty. I guess I just assumed that what was rung up was the same product that would show up on the receipt...silly me. They treated us like we were trying to scam them, when in truth, THEY pulled a switch. I'm going to try filing a complaint with the attorney general, too, but thought people should be warned. CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/01/2010 02:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Max/Lansing-Michigan-48911/Office-Max-WONT-HONOR-MAXASSURANCE-WARRANTY-Lansing-Michigan-636521. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Max

RE: Different headset

AUTHOR: Gman - (United States of America)

As an employee of the store in question, we've never once had any problems with honoring a MaxAssurance warranty, which would cover any kind of wear and tear on our covered products, even if accidentally broken by the user. Not honoring a warranty gives us no advantage, and would earn us nothing but disciplinary measures. There are no kudos for "convincing" or "deceiving" a customer out of a warranty. Nor would we be punished for too many returns.

Point of sale policy at OfficeMax is to scan each individual item, no matter the quantity, and if any bar code or UPC is unreadable (or missing), we have to get the same item off the shelf to replace it, or, if the same item is unavailable, a manager must look up the item UPC or SKU. This policy prevents ringing up the wrong item for the purchase. UPCs are unique to each and every product.

The headset in question was of a brand that OfficeMax has NEVER carried and therefore, we could not honor the MaxAssurance policy. It's as simple as that. Perhaps you or your son own multiple headsets, and you mistakenly grabbed the wrong one for the return. If you bring in the correct one we'll definitely honor the warranty, no problem.

If you feel though that a mistake has been made (it happens), please feel free to call 1-866-805-9095 for our MaxAssurance returns number. Have your receipt ready. They will ask you some basic questions about the product, and will send you a prepaid postage to return the product to them and send you a replacement if it was indeed the correct headset.