Complaint Review: Office Max

• Submitted: Mon, April 28, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, April 25, 2009

• Reported By:Reno Nevada
Office Max
263 Shuman Blvd. Maperville, Illinois U.S.A.

Office Max OFFICE MAX... SELLS ITEMS WITHOUT SPECIFIED REQUIREMENTS... HORRIBLE MANAGERS... PROMISE TO REFUND MONEY!! NOTHIN BUT A BUNCH OF LIENG THIEVES!!! Maperville Illinois

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Same person

*Consumer Suggestion: Oh my goodness sakes!! R U kidding me, BRENT?!!?!

*UPDATE Employee: Notice he didn't actually address any of the stated issues..

*Author of original report: Give it a rest Brent who else better knows it than I do?! And thank you "Charles from Phoenix City, Alabama", glad to see someone with some common sen

*UPDATE Employee: Right...

*Consumer Comment: Businesses always accuse the consumer of making up things

*UPDATE Employee: More lies and insults

*Author of original report: OK BRENT.. THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO YOUR INSIGNIFICANT CONCLUSIONS AND QUESTIONS!!!

*UPDATE Employee: Untrue

Well... it's been over 6 weeks that I purchased a software product from Office Max. The software was from SouthWorth. When I first purchased the product there were no system requirements on the package!

When I took it home to install the software on my computer.. it was to my surprise that the CD was unreadable. I procceded to calling the SouthWorth company and ironically no one was ever available!

Well.. from there I called the Office Max location here in Reno (6013 S. Virginia st. Reno, NV, 89502), and I told them that the CD was unreadable and that the company of the software product had no actual customer service!

Well this manager guy that assisted me in this Reno Office Max was a real jerk! He was very sarcastic asking me what it was that he wanted me to have done about this.. and what my solution was! First off.. that's why I called him.. because I didn't have a solution!

From there I called the Office Max customer service. They supposedly proccessed my complaint and from there told me that I would be receiving a $10.00 gift certificate within 7 to 10 days! BULL!!!

After the 10 day period passed.. I kept calling them about the gift certificate and ironically that "7-10" days shifted to a 4-6 WEEKS!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Well I was patient.. and now it's over 6 weeks and I find myself calling them again.. and I'm transfered to a supervisor.. and this supervisor (named Karen) is so unprofessional!! As I would talk and explain the situation about the run-around I've been put under.. she would interrupt me non-stop!

So .. basically.. now I'm having to file this rip off report, because it is a rip off! Office Max will sell you products that are from companies that won't specify any system requirements and don't have any customer service.

And on top of that.. Office Max has managers that are total jerks that won't take the time to try and understand the situation that you're in as a PAYING customer!

And even on top of that... the Office Max customer service line has nothing but a bunch of liars pretending to proccess complaints and gift certificates. I forgot to mention I just got off the phone with another customer service agent for Office Max and she told me that no complaint was proccessed and that she saw NO gift certificate in the mailing list for me!!

So people.. you see.. don't purchase anything from Office Max!!!

Salvador
Reno, Nevada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/28/2008 04:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Max/Maperville-Illinois-60563/Office-Max-OFFICE-MAX-SELLS-ITEMS-WITHOUT-SPECIFIED-REQUIREMENTS-HORRIBLE-MANAGERS-329366. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Max

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Same person

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

I realize most people could easily figure this out, but Salvador and "I'll Say It Like It Is" are the same person. Imagine how hard it would be to deal with an individual who has no problem lying to the point that they make a second account on this website, just to back up what their first account is saying.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: I'll Say It How It Is - (U.S.A.)

I am a tax payer, Brent!! A tax payer that doesn't whine about paying taxes or anything going up, as far as goods are concerned. So are you really thinkin that pe=ple are going to belive that because someone complains about a bad sevice that the goods prrices will go up!

you have no clue what you are talking about. the only peple raising goods prices is the government. ever since idiots voted twice for bush, they all brught this country into an econimical crisis!

so if i purchase someting from a walmart and demand for a refund, don't get it, and end up putting something here! it is because as a PAYING custmer i was not treated as i shul d have!

if goods prices go up it's because of gas prices. truck dirvers will reqest a bettr income, meaning that the big companies will have to do it making prices go up. so the only to blame for prices goin g up are the idiots that voted for bush twice!

U, Brent, have no moral athrority to attack this person like u are. i read the whol e thing and the urls u posted in regrds to him. i review it and non of the reports seem to have a lie in it! i review it and everything comes together.

sop being so bitter and leave peopl alone! because i see that this person is a fighter and dos not put up with it! these are the people to watch out for!!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: I'll Say It How It Is - (U.S.A.)

Notice he didn't actually address any of the stated issues..

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

First off, Charles from Phenix City, Arizona is just as honest and reliable as this Salvador guy.... read a couple of his other rip-off-reports...

Secondly, Salvador believe that the best way to handle a problem is to simply ignore reality and insult the person he has an issue with. The man even stated he didn't even read my previous post, yet he still replied to it. Apply this same concept to how he would treat employee's at any retail store. Office Max is in no way perfect - they have to employee humans - but people like this is the exact reason why YOU - the average consumer has to pay higher prices. We in the retail industry have to do our best to resolve issues from people like this - by giving them gift cards and discounts - just to get them to stop yelling. The next time you wonder "Gee, why does this cost so much?" realize that brick walls like Salvador in Reno, Nevada and all their useless unwarranted complaining is making the cost of your goods go up.

AUTHOR: Salvador - (U.S.A.)

You know Brent.. about your recent response.. I only read the title. I didn't even bother reading your book! You talk about people insulting you... well get a life.. you're the one insulting others!

So from here.. I notice that I'm not the only one still reading on page 3 of the newspaper and realize there's other people seeing it my way. Thank you Charles from Phoenix City, Alabama. Boy ... your comment was so true and it hurt Brent alot!!!

Face it people.. this Brent guy can't stand people talking the truth about his beloved Office Max. So he comes on this and just attacks people trying to make them look bad.

That's all....

ps. Brent... when you post something else again I'll know it's coming from you and I'll go as far as just reading the title.. because you and your damn comments are insignificant!

Right...

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

Ok..... now that is just odd. Why does everyone think that employee's at retail stores somehow OWN the store? Or that any of us actually care if the store goes bankrupt or stays afloat? I don't care - neither do the other 1,000,000+ retail floor associates in the United States. It's obvious neither of these guys have actually worked in retail. As if though there is some magic Office Max king behind a curtain somewhere we all take orders from. Like I would actually make any extra money if i decided to screw consumers over. This is just insane.

These people are perfect examples of what we as retail associates have to deal with on a daily basis. The simple fact of the matter is that when this guy (the original poster) called the manager about his busted CD, the first thing the manager would do is offer to replace it. WHY? SIMPLE:

1) District Managers HATE getting complaints from customers - especially from customer service.
2) If the disc is actually busted, we simply D&D the disc, and Southworth buys it back from us - AT NO LOSS TO US AT ALL.

SO WHY WOULD ANY STORE MANAGER NOT EXCHANGE THE CD? Because the customer is ASKING for it to be exchanged, they are asking for a REFUND. Something NO RETAILER can do. No retailer will returned open software, we all will however exchange it. I know how this works, because I have done it on a daily basis for years, in multiple different stores.

ALSO:

Read what the "consumer" wrote in his post:

Quote - "brent buy your comments I will not shop @ my local office max or any other."

Realize that this person has no idea if I actually work at an Office Max, or if my name is actually even Brent. He is stating that he will not shop at a retail store solely off the comments of ONE PERSON, on ONE WEBSITE. Realize the mindset it takes to make this decision.

Also - Quote - "You are only hurting yourself & nobody else you make it very hard for me to trust any business sense they are all out to steal from us anyways"

He says I make it hard for him to trust any business... ME, I ALONE make it hard for him to trust any business..... WOW. Understand that this person not only will no longer shop at Office Max, but I also made it hard for him to trust ANY business.... WOW - The power of one eh?

Businesses always accuse the consumer of making up things

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

Businesses always accuse the consumer of making up things, brent buy your comments I will not shop @ my local office max or any other.

Its all about businesses getting away with treating people unfair, you accuse people of lying & when people don't agree with you, you personally attack them. When businesses respond like how you do brent I stay away from them.

You are only hurting yourself & nobody else you make it very hard for me to trust any business sense they are all out to steal from us anyways.

More lies and insults

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

It's almost pointless to respond, since most of what this guy typed is so poorly worded it makes little sense - but here goes...

1) Quote - "WELL... BRENT.... first off (since you have a bunch of BS on your response) I'll start from where you began! You say I'm a liar.. that you found this and that information of google.. yada yada yada.. in such short time! Well you know Brent I also happened to look up the company of Southworth on google.. and the only reason I said they don't have any real customer service is because every single time that I would call.. they had no customer service available!"

- I made sure to call twice, on Monday and Thursday, BOTH times, they had "customer service available". Also, his first complaint stated "I procceded to calling the SouthWorth company and ironically no one was ever available!". Although not ironic, it is very untrue. Southworth customer support works like all others - its a computer based system that puts you into a Que. Most likely if he actually did call, he called after business hours or on the weekend.

2) Quote - "As a matter of fact.. when I called the 800 number to Office Max- not even they could get a hold of anyone from Southworth. That's actually why they told me they'd refund me my money! So.. was that too hard to understand?? I mean.. don't want ya' jumpin' into conclusions and concerns again!"

- This simply never happened.

3) Quote - "Secondly BRENT... I never said I filed the complaint on ripoffreport.com simply because I was told 'what do you want me to do about it'. Since you couldn't catch it the first time and you have very little brain cells to not be able to understand it the first time here it goes again- it's been over 6 weeks that I've had this problem and since they promised me my refund."

- You can tell how hard this man would be to work with, he constantly insults people simply for stating the obvious - or the truth.

4) Quote - "You seriously made me laugh with that one!! Because first of in this matter.. you weren't there.. how could you tell everyone this is what 'most likely' happened'?! I called and the manager did NOT offer me an exchange! He was unprofessional and basically explained nothing to me! So get a life! Don't just go off attacking people that are filing complaints.. what are you going for ... a journalism major?? LOL!"

- I can say this is most likely to have happened because I have dealt with people like you for over 8 years. All of you act the same - you are all very insulting and think that the company OWES you something, so you treat everyone horrible. Everyone can tell just by how your typing here, that in person you were most likely even more insulting - and THIS, and this reason alone is why you ignored by everyone you talked to.

5) Quote - "And for the record on this whole 'jerk' thing... I never said everyone was a jerk to me.. it was this manager guy at the Reno Office Max.. and that Karen woman at the customer service call center that wouldn't let me explain to her how things have been! So BRENT... quit trying to get smart!!! It so does not fit you!!! I wouldn't be surprised IF YOU'RE FROM OFFICE MAX!!!"

- More insults.... imagine how he spoke to the store manager and Karen at customer service.

6) Quote - "About the thing where I had to raise my voice at that Karen!! Well see.. you keep doing it! You keep trying to get smart.. and I'm just gonna have to keep speaking for myself!!"

- Imagine if this man called you on the phone... could you understand what the point he was trying to get across is?

7) Quote - "When I was transfered to Karen (the supervisor) I began by explaining what was going on.. she wouldn't let me finish a single sentence! I told her once 'please let me finish. Be more professional!'. Ok.. so I continued with what I was trying to say.. so she kept interrupting me.. until it became non-stop! That's when I had to raise my voice at her!!"

- You can tell this man believes that if things aren't going his way - in his mind - he has to yell at people. This is a thought that normally surpasses with maturity. You can imagine how he treated the store manager and Karen at customer service since things were ALREADY not going his way when he called them.

8) Quote - "So it wasn't a matter that I began by raising my voice at her!! Yes! She was the one that lead me to raising my voice!!! So don't go off saying:

' Also, if a person is yelling at you over the phone... are you really going to 'wanna hear it'?

BECAUSE THAT'S NOT THE CASE.. IF I RAISED MY VOICE AT.. IT'S BECAUSE IT WAS LIKE I SAID ABOVE.. DESPITE HAVING ASKED HER TO BE PROFESSIONAL AND LET ME FINISH IN A DECENT MANNER.. SHE KEPT DOING IT!! HOPE THAT GETS THRU YOUR HEAD!!!"

- Do I really need to type anymore? He honestly believes he was forced to yell. He's even trying to yell at me over the internet. Imagine how the store manager and Karen at customer service was treated.

9) Quote - "Well BRENT.. all I can say is that I'm cacklin' here about your response... it's very insignificant.... and yeah.. about those numbers above.. all I can say is that you land on all the numbers!!!

Don't get smart with me.. because I'm the one that has been there! I'm the one that can prove anyone wrong! I'm the one that has records of things!!

YOU- just an ironic, insignificant, journalist wannabe!!! Oh.. and let's add the whole Inspector Gadget wannabe.. when were you called in to solve the mystery?!"

- More insults.

I imagine after reading the above, everyone can see how this individual acted towards company employees. Moral of the story - Be nice to people and they will help you. However if you yell and scream and act like the man above - nobody will want to help you.

Case Closed.

AUTHOR: Salvador - (U.S.A.)

Secondly BRENT... I never said I filed the complaint on ripoffreport.com simply because I was told "what do you want me to do about it". Since you couldn't catch it the first time and you have very little brain cells to not be able to understand it the first time here it goes again- it's been over 6 weeks that I've had this problem and since they promised me my refund.

For the record I never asked them for a refund! They offered it to me after the manager in my location wouldn't even bother to help me out and not even they could get a hold of anyone from Southworth. Now... no need to argue about that.. all the calls are recorded when calling Office Max 800 number... and it's all there!!!

BRENT... I moved on to the part where you're assuming you know exactly what happened to the whole website! Let me just tell you this.. I was cackling up! You can't just tell people in a website things like the following:

"So we are to assume this person just hung up and called Office Max customer service? Of course they didn't, they asked for a refund - the manager offered an exchange for the defective software (standard retail policy anywhere in the US) - and this person made up some story about how they didn't even want to use Southworth software now - so they would only accept a cash refund...."

You seriously made me laugh with that one!! Because first of in this matter.. you weren't there.. how could you tell everyone this is what "most likely" happened"?! I called and the manager did NOT offer me an exchange! He was unprofessional and basically explained nothing to me! So get a life! Don't just go off attacking people that are filing complaints.. what are you going for ... a journalism major?? LOL!

Well you know BRENT... about the "jerk" thing.. if you don't consider a manger of an Office Max that says things like "well what do you want me to do about it??". Or things like "What's your solution", with a sarcastic attitude and such level of unprofessionalism to be a jerk!! Then I don't know what kind of world of marshmallows you must have been raised in! But to me.. that's a jerk!

And for the record on this whole "jerk" thing... I never said everyone was a jerk to me.. it was this manager guy at the Reno Office Max.. and that Karen woman at the customer service call center that wouldn't let me explain to her how things have been! So BRENT... quit trying to get smart!!! It so does not fit you!!! I wouldn't be surprised IF YOU'RE FROM OFFICE MAX!!!

When I was transfered to Karen (the supervisor) I began by explaining what was going on.. she wouldn't let me finish a single sentence! I told her once "please let me finish. Be more professional!". Ok.. so I continued with what I was trying to say.. so she kept interrupting me.. until it became non-stop! That's when I had to raise my voice at her!!

" Also, if a person is yelling at you over the phone... are you really going to 'wanna hear it'?

n., pl. -nies.

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See synonyms at wit1.
1. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated (Richard Kain).
2. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.
4. Socratic irony.

OH I almost forgot... about all the urls you just gave out of all the complaints I've filed.. yeah that's just me.. I don't put up with unfairness.. and I don't put up with companies that just go off lieng to people! So no worries people can see all the things I've had to file.. after all. .that's what this website is for, right??

Also -

When did anyone offer to refund his money? He didn't mention that anywhere in the article.

For your reading pleasure, here are many other "problems" Salvador in Reno, Nevada has had to deal with - including problems with people at the Better Business Bureau.

WOW - where to begin....

Ok first off, here is the information for southworth software (I found it on google in .019 seconds):

By Email:
feedback@southworth.com

By Phone:
Customer Service: 1-800-225-1839

By Mail:
Southworth Company
265 Main Street
Agawam, MA 01001

I sent them an email and got a response - so that's real.
I called the phone number and got a customer service rep - so that's real.
I looked up the address and found it on yahoo and google - so that's real.

I asked about their customer software return policy and procedure, and was given a number to fax my receipt for a complete refund - taking 5 to 7 business days.

Secondly, it is plainly obvious that this individual did not want to have their software exchanged for a working disc, they wanted a refund. Why would a person buy software from Southworth, then all of a sudden no longer need to produce resumes or wedding stuff the second the disc happens to be defective? Yes, I smell a scam too.

Thirdly, I'm sure to most people reading the complaint, you see massive holes in the story line. We are to believe that a person that would take the time to make a complaint on ripoffreport.com would simply stop talking to the store manager at Office Max simply because he said "what do you want me to do about it"? So we are to assume this person just hung up and called Office Max customer service? Of course they didn't, they asked for a refund - the manager offered an exchange for the defective software (standard retail policy anywhere in the US) - and this person made up some story about how they didn't even want to use Southworth software now - so they would only accept a cash refund....

Fourthly, I'll say what my father has told me for years - if everybody you meet is a jerk or a liar or rude.... THEY are probably not the problem. Seriously, we have all dealt with bad companies and issues - but EVERYBODY being rude or crass? Not likely.

Lastly, (taken from above) "So I had to raise my voice at her and demand for her to be more professional and let me finish... despite this.. she continued to interrupt me.. as if she didn't wanna "hear it". - this is just sad. Realize this person felt that they "had" to raise their voice. Meaning they lacked self control, and felt that another person could force them to act in specific ways. Also, if a person is yelling at you over the phone... are you really going to "wanna hear it"?