Complaint Review: Office Max

• Submitted: Mon, August 18, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, June 13, 2010

• Reported By:russellville Tennessee
Office Max
2583 E Morris Blvd Morristown, Tennessee U.S.A.

Office Max manager would not honor sale sign rebate price, screamed and told me to "get out of my store" Morristown Tennessee

*Consumer Comment: You are soooooo wrong!

*Consumer Comment: Wow

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: True Colors

*Author of original report: Officemax got this problem straightened out for the most part

*Consumer Comment: What a jerk

*Consumer Comment: I was there and this was not how it happened.

*Consumer Suggestion: Umm, you're the one that tried to steal from OfficeMax!

On the evening of August 18, 2008, I entered the Morristown, TN Office Max store to purchase some items. I came to this store to buy a computer software program titled "Nero 8". I had been in the store earlier today and looked at the item, then came back later to buy it. When I was there, I noticed a sign that was taped to the shelf stating the item was $99.99 with a $20.00 instant rebate. I went home and then came back because I wanted to decide if it was the correct item to buy. So, when I came back the item was sitting here, with the sign still in front of it. There were 2 copies of the program there. So, I picked up the program and looked around to find more items to buy. After finishing my shopping, I proceeded to the checkout. I told the male cashier that the item had an instant rebate on it, He got his sales ad and tried to look it up. He could not find it. So, I told him the sign was still taped to the shelf in front of the other Nero Programs. So, we went back there and sure enough, there was the sign taped to the shelf. Upon closer inspection, the sign did state in small, fine print that the rebate was for some Adobe computer software program. I told the sales clerk, well, I guess I made a mistake, but I still wanted the item for the $20.00 off instant rebate. he started making excuses about that the Nero Programs had gotten put there by mistake and anyone could have done it. So, I asked him to speak to a manager. He refused. He got on his little headset and spoke with a manager by the name of Scott. Scott old him NO.. when asked about me getting the rebate. So, I asked again to speak with the manager. The sales clerk refused again. So, I persisted and here came Scott to the front. I told him what was going on, so we went back to the computer software aisle to see what the deal was. Well, there was no longer a sign taped to the shelf. We had to look around for it...It took a minute to find it.. but guess where it was?? The employee clerk had just thrown the sale sign down about 2 foot down from where it was originally taped to the shelf. He had laid it on top of another UNRELATED computer software program.. Anyway, the manager by the name of Scott, stood there and told me that "anyone" could have put the Nero items in the wrong place. I took that as him insinuating that I had done that. I told him to replay the security cameras..he refused.. and still refused to give me the item for the discounted price. So, I told him I wanted the name of his district manager and anyone else who could help with this. So, I waited at the customer service desk.. and Scott proceeded to have this SMIRK on his face the entire time.. it was the kind of smirk that is born of nothing but a complete smart aleck, know it all manager. I told him to "wipe that smirk off of his face" and I would see that someone higher up in management would deal with him. Then, after I made that remark, Scott started screaming as loud as he could, "Get out of my store" "Get out now" " I am going to call the police on you if you don't leave" So, I said fine, I will leave, but mark my words, I will talk to your district manager tomorrow and if he or she cannot deal with you, then someone higher in the management chain can. He followed me all the way out of the store.. still running his mouth, trying to coax me into getting angrier.. He watched me get into my truck and leave. Anyway, all of this happened in front customers... 8-12 year old children with parents who were trying to check out. Anyway, I left, got on the phone and called the Knoxville, TN store to get the disctrict managers phone information. The clerk at the Knoxville store was very friendly and very helpful. They told me that a disctrict manager by the name of Cheryl Gray would be contacting me tomorrow. I then picked up the phone, called back to the Morristown store and told the clerk who asnwered that I had already reported "Scott the manager" to the district manager.. They acted as if they didn't care... Oh well.. I guess we will see what happens. Anyway, is this the way Office Max handles it's customers? I saw the sign taped to the shelf in front of the Nero computer programs. I told the clerk, that yes, I must have looked at the sign wrong, but the sign was still taped in front of the items.. and I feel that they should honor the price. Anyway, Office Max, you lost about $120.00 sale tonight.. I had other items that I was going to purchase. I also come into your Morristown store quite a bit to have order form copies made at your CopyMax departmant for my distribution service. I have had 1000's of copies made at your CopyMax dept, but I will not return to make any additional puirchases. I also was looking at one of your HP computer servers that costed $749.00 as well.. but guess what? I will not be making any additional purchases at any Office Max store. Also, one other point I would like to make..
You see Office Max, the customer now has recourse against the big retailers who provide poor customer service. We have the internet and we will not be silenced. Please go to the Morristown, TN store and ask to view the videotapes from August 18, 2008 and see how your management handled this situation.. Yes, I yelled at your employees, but I had every right to be upset, especially when you have a manager who will not listen and take care of a simple problem such as a signage error. A manager who walks around with a smirk on his face and screams as loud as he can for me to "GET OUT OF MY STORE.. or I will call the police" The public needs to see how you, Office Max, DOES NOT CARE about your customers. Anyway, call the Morristown, TN store up and ask for Scott... see what he has to say about the situation..
It was great to see such intelligible people working your store... I look forward to hearing from you on this one. We will just have to see how Office Max handles it.

Vortec70
russellville, Tennessee

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Office Max

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/18/2008 08:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Max/Morristown-Tennessee-37814/Office-Max-manager-would-not-honor-sale-sign-rebate-price-screamed-and-told-me-to-get-ou-364346. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Max

You are soooooo wrong!

AUTHOR: anonymous in Tennessee - (United States of America)

OMG!!!!! It is customers like you that cause associates to go postal! You go into a retail business and demand they give you a discounted price on something because you or anyone else could have put the product in the wrong place and then when you don't get your way you scream at the associates and threaten the manager?! Reguardless of what popular belief is THE CUSTOMER IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT! Scott had every right to throw you out of the store and should of had you banned from ever coming back! Obviousley you have never worked retail or worked with the public. What if that had been you at the register just trying to do your job and some crazy woman comes up screaming at you for no reason. How would you like it if a customer came to your job and started demanding stuff and screaming? You are the one that should be embarrased about how you acted! I am a retail customer service manager (and not for Office Max) and if customers come in yelling or cussing at my associates I would put them out of my store also. You need to grow up, you sound like a 5 year old saying, "I told you Scott I would get my rebate, I told you Cheryl I would get my rebate" how old are you anyway?! When you went to the store you didn't know if the item was on sale or had a rebate so if that $20.00 was that important to you maybe you shouldn't of been spending the money anyway. I guess you think that because Office Max is a retail business that it is okay to throw a fit in the store and mistreat the associates, I bet you wouldn't go into the post office, bank, or doctors office and start yelling at them. Try it sometime and see if they don't do exactaly what Scott did!!!!

Wow

AUTHOR: Chauchee75@hotmail.com - (U.S.A.)

I can't believe someone posted this and thought they were justified in their actions. I can only imagine that this isn't the first time you've been in this situation and I'm certain it won't be the last. Even if you were mistreated was it really worth all this time and effort to get a $30 gift card. It kinda sounds like you should have given them $30.

These types (the poster) of people are exactly why we need websites like this. They embody the type of thinking these businesses have that are legit Rip Offs. Consumers getting shafted by companies manipulating the system. Now with this type of scam it looks like the Corps need a website to protect themselves against people trying to manipulate the system ripping off the Corps.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

True Colors

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

You have to love the people who post on this website and play the role of the "OMG!!! I just got treated so badly and I'm and angel from heaven" role. Of course, when they finally get busted for who they are, they show their true colors. Let's go ahead and assume that "teacher" is an Office Max employee. The poster doesn't even realize that by calling "teacher" an Office Max employee, he is showing that the Office Max employee are intelligent, and not rude at all. Read "teacher"'s post - it was well typed. Now let's look at the posts of this man who was so horribly treated by Office Max. I'll go ahead and copy and paste the good stuff:

"USE YOUR HEAD..." - somewhat insulting

"nice try OFFICEMAX employee.. Nice try at trying to make me look like I am the one in the wrong. And you are the one who is lying..." - somewhat antagonizing - imagine how this man would act in person when he feels entitled.

"You see Mr. Scott at OFFICEMAX, you smarted off to the wrong person that night and I told you that I would get my REBATE, and I DID.. You see Cheryl Gray, I told you on the phone that day that we talked that I would get my REBATE in the mail, you told me that I wouldn't, but guess what.. I GOT IT. I told you so.. you see, Mrs. Gray, you were wrong and Mr. Scott was wrong. You both need management and customer service skills. Have a nice day... oh yeah, again, nice try 'teacher' but no cigar.." - this line makes me think of my son. The old "nanny nanny boo boo". Again, imagine the way this man must have acted in the store.

I'm sure most of you know, that when you have an individual like above - your best option is to cut and run. Office Max knew that, so they paid him off. We do that all the time. I had a man come in once, and throw a printer at me - LITERALLY. I had to jump out of the way to prevent it from hitting me. The man picks it up, walks out to his car and smashes it in the parking lot. Guess what? I gave him a $30 gift card 2 weeks later for his trouble. Why? Because habitual liars while lie to the very end - even beyond their death bed. When a habitual liar feels entitled - the best thing you can do to prevent exposure to your company - is to buy them off. Yes, I agree, it makes them think they won, just like this gentlemen did. He will probably repeat the same process at another store as he now knows it works.

Of course - in the end - he has to live with himself. Office Max only has to see him once or twice. So I don't feel very bad for Office Max or it's employee's having to deal with him. I feel bad for him. Good luck in life man. May you live forever.

Officemax got this problem straightened out for the most part

AUTHOR: Vortec70 - (U.S.A.)

Well I contacted the VP of OfficeMax in regards to this situation. I received a phonecall back from a representative of the company. He was very nice and understanding and very apologetic. We talked at length that day about "Scott" the manager and Cheryl Gray the district manager. We talked about customer service and the lack of it at that store. He apologized for the problem and sent me a $30.00 gift card in the mail to make up for the problem. I really appreciate him for doing this. At least some people at OfficeMax know how to take care of problems.

As far as the poster who posted in response of this report, I believe you used the name of "teacher." Are you telling me that I am lying? Are you calling me a liar? Oh and about me talking about downloading the software from the internet.. well yes, I could have downloaded the software program from the internet, BUT I NEEDED THE CD ROM DISC FOR FUTURE USE, not just a download. USE YOUR HEAD... When one downloads the program, they do not have the cd rom disc...Thats why I wanted to buy it from the store.. Well, all I can say is nice try OFFICEMAX employee.. Nice try at trying to make me look like I am the one in the wrong. And you are the one who is lying... Of course you were there that night, but you are an employee of OFFICEMAX. Oh, and yes, there were children present that night in the store. I vividly remember it.
Anyway, I got the problem taken care of. And I will add one more piece of information for OFFICEMAX and it's employees. Video cameras are everywhere these days, your company has them, I have them, my neighbors have them. And always keep in mind, that we as customers can take our video cameras into your stores and you will not know it. You never know who or when someone will bring video cameras into your stores, hidden so that the public can video tape and document POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE and RUDE EMPLOYEES. All of this can be posted on the internet at anytime for all the world to see how places of business handle their customers. That is one thing that is very powerful these days, the INTERNET. So powerful that it can cause great embarrassment. Anyway, thanks for my $30.00 gift card, I will use it at some other OFFICEMAX some day to make a purchase. You see Mr. Scott at OFFICEMAX, you smarted off to the wrong person that night and I told you that I would get my REBATE, and I DID.. You see Cheryl Gray, I told you on the phone that day that we talked that I would get my REBATE in the mail, you told me that I wouldn't, but guess what.. I GOT IT. I told you so.. you see, Mrs. Gray, you were wrong and Mr. Scott was wrong. You both need management and customer service skills. Have a nice day... oh yeah, again, nice try "teacher" but no cigar..

What a jerk

AUTHOR: Clifford - (U.S.A.)

What happened is that you made a complete and total ass of yourself in public.

The store and employees did nothing wrong.

You should be ashamed of yourself but unfortunately you probably are not.

The only good thing is that the children saw you as an example of how not to behave.

I was there and this was not how it happened.

AUTHOR: Morristown Teacher - (U.S.A.)

Dear Sir
I shop at Office Max in Morristown quite a bit due to my profession. There were a group of us there the night in question and I am very disappointed at the inaccuracy of your account. First of all there were no children present in the store. I cannot report on the actual exchange between you and the male cashier, but you were very unpolite and as I recall you began getting loud first. You were asked to leave after you became beligerent and began yelling. One thing I do recall hearing( since you were yelling it) is the statement that you could get online and download the software you were after for $59...so my question is why didn't you??? It's hard for me to believe that you had any intention of spending any significant amount of money at this store, but who knows. A number of people (no children included) saw the exchange between you, the cashier and the manager...I would be very surprised if any of those people find fault in the way you were handled. You were rightly asked to leave the store and those employees did not deserve the treatment that you berated on them!!

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Umm, you're the one that tried to steal from OfficeMax!

AUTHOR: J G Shrugged - (U.S.A.)

The rebate was in writing that it was for another software. It was a mistake that it was put there and in fact it could have been another customer that moved the software or the sign. Who knows? If someone was to move a sign to the laptop area that said "buy 1 get 1 free" (paper ream) should you be able to get that offer?

OfficeMax would have lost a lot of money honoring an instant rebate on a software that they probably don't make that much money on anyway. They have to buy the software from the company first and recoup that cost from the customer. You made a scene in front of other customers and the 8-12 year old children - trying to steal from the store.

Should the manager have honored it? Maybe. But in today's retail world, profit margins are razor thin and OfficeMax would have lost money on the sale. And that's not even taking into consideration that OfficeMax pays their employee salaries, rent, utilities, etc. all from the "profits" made on the sale. No profits means no money to pay their employees, etc.