Complaint Review: Office Max

• Submitted: Wed, August 22, 2007
  • Updated: Tue, February 19, 2008

• Reported By:santa cruz California
Office Max
470 River St. Santa Cruz, California U.S.A.

Office Max Jonathan manager false advertising and rudeness Santa Cruz California

*UPDATE Employee: Exactly

*UPDATE Employee: Office Max does not have any mail-in rebates

I purchased Norton 360 security software. I chose this because of the $20 rebate, thinking this will be a reasonable purchase and need not compare prices elsewhere to save time.

After loading the software into the computer, I went to fill out the rebate to find that the sales reciept was not valid from several companies including Office Max.

I returned to the store to speak with the manager, Johnathan. He had to be one of the rudest employees I can remember encountering. I never write complaints, but this was exceptional, I was so angry when I left the store.

I will never set foot in another Office Max, and I will probably never purchase a product by Symantic Corporation again.

Jeff
santa cruz, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2007 01:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Office-Max/Santa-Cruz-California-95060/Office-Max-Jonathan-manager-false-advertising-and-rudeness-Santa-Cruz-California-269476. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Office Max

Exactly

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

Jeff,

This is one of the major problems in retail, customers simply don't do their own research. Speaking as a consumer, and not as an employee of a retail store - I am fully aware of what I'm purchasing in advance. Retail outlets are middle men, they get products from companies and provide them for you in one store - for your convenience. When Symantec sends Office Max a box of software with a rebate sticker on it - we stick it on the shelf with the other 200 boxes of software we are stocking. Why they we not trust them? If a company wants to have a rebate - they can choose to do that.

If Symantec offers a rebate on one of their products, then refuses to pay it - you should have a problem with that company. However, you shouldn't blame the building you bought the software in. If you buy a printer made by HP and it breaks in 6 months, it is not the fault of the retail outlet you purchased it in - it's HP's.

To expect a company to investigate every rebate or any "free through mail with UPC" that a company offers is just insane. This would make the cost of everything in the store go up. Symantec is a well known company, and is respected world wide. This is why Office Max chose to carry their software. Obviously, Jeff was screwed out of his rebate. Symantec chose to ship a box to a retailer advertising a rebate that didn't apply to the very same retailer. That is wrong, but again, not the fault of the retail outlet. Symantec should resolve this for him. It is clear that he was ripped off, but by Symantec - NOT Office Max.
It was wrong for Johnathan to be rude to you - nobody deserves rudeness.

This is not an Office Max ripoff story, this is a Symantec ripoff story. This is a story you complain to your friends about, then get on with your life.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Jeff - (U.S.A.)

My question to Brent is, why was there a rebate coupon on the product I purchaced, if Office Max stopped using coupons over a year ago?

Why did the manager Jonathon, tell me, after trying to question him three times, and three times he walked away in the middle of my inquiry, and told me "just mail it in and you'll get your rebate"?

My question is, why was I mislead, and by all people the manager? Also, why was the manager so rude to a customer?

The fact of the matter is, there was a rebate coupon on the product I purchased, and the manager did tell me I would recieve a rebate.

Reguardless of Brent's rebuttal, I was still mislead, treated poorly, and in the long run I was ripped off as the rebate was declined by Symantic Corp..

My issue is not with Symantic, but with Office Max and it's manager Jonathon.

Perhaps Office max could educate their staff more on product policies and custom relations.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Jeff, Santa Cruz, Ca.

Office Max does not have any mail-in rebates

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

Office Max completely did away with all mail-in rebates over a year ago, way before this person purchased the software. This persons issue is with Symantec, not with Office Max. It is an absolute standard that no matter what - you cannot return opened
software at any retail out - anywhere.

policeman