Complaint Review: Official Heating & Cooling, Inc

• Updated: Fri, March 07, 2014

• Reported By: Mr Scott — Woodstock Illinois United States of America
Official Heating & Cooling, Inc
1401 North Drive, Mchenry Mchenry, Illinois United States of America

Official Heating & Cooling, Inc Water Damage to Home, wont take Responsibility even thought they said they would verbaly. Mchenry, Illinois

*Author of original report: New Owners

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Official is under new ownership!!

*Author of original report: Matter Resolved

*Author of original report: Official Heating and Cooling - Update Report

They sent a technician out to look at the problem and it was reported that a part on the April Air humidifier was defective and that is what caused the problem. My main concern and first question to the technician was, are you going to take care of the water damage? The technician replied yes, and told me to contact someone named Mary.

Mary had me take photographs and get three Estimates which I had to arrange. After waiting for a few weeks a received an email from Mary to be patient and that the claim was still being processed. About three weeks later the Humidifier produced another leak on a different part of the system. This forced me to make another call to get that taken care off. While on the phone with some gentleman, I asked if Mary was in so I could follow up on my initial claim. She was not in yet due to heavy snow, so I called back 20 minutes later.

When talking to Mary about my claim she responded by saying Didnt you get my E-mail? I responded back with no!, I didnt receive any e-mail from you. Apparently the e-mail described states that the claim was denied. I was told that it didnt say why, and that basically there was nothing they could do. Between the technician and Mary I was pretty sure I had that taken care of, but now all of a sudden everything changed.

It was arlier explained to me that Official Heating and cooling was going through the manufacturer to get reimbursement, and originally I assumed it was through Officials Insurance. But either way, one of the two should cover it and honor their agreement. I tried talking to the manager or owner, who never identified his position, but he clearly and abrasively told me that its just the way things go some times and I was out of luck. He mentioned that he himself was surprised that the claim was denied, he was actually shocked.

Later I found out his name was Frank.

I still had a new leak on the system and it had to be fixed because it was actually spraying water, so I called back Official Heating to see if I still had an appointment because I figured Frank would probably cancel it. I was right, he did. I talked to him on the phone and he said they just dont deal with people like me. By the way, I had never raised my voice, swore or said anything offensive to anyone, I just wanted recourse on my flood damage.
I mentioned to Frank that I did have a 1 year labor warranty, and they just cant refuse me service because they dont like me. An appointment was set. At this point I have had it with Official and Frank. I called a local competitor who actually walked me through the problem and fixed the leak.

The competitor told me that the technician who installed the saddle valve to the Water heater never tightened down the nut all the way, not even close. He also mentioned that the first problem I had was probably due to an installation error than more likely a part malfunction, which would explain why April Air would not file the claim.

I wish to note that during the installation of the humidifier the wrong one was first installed. After the technician put it in he realized that there was no room for the door to open to install the filter. So it had to be taken all apart and a new unit had to be delivered to my house and a different unit installed. It was a very long installation, maybe 5 hours. These random discoveries lead me to believe it was negligence that caused all my problems, and not a part. However there is no proof of that.

The fact of the matter is that Official Heating and Cooling should pay for my water damage either way. I will see them in small claims court, but I doubt I have much of a chance of getting anything based on the disclaimer on their invoice. In simple terms, it mentions that no Official employee has any authority to warranty or make any promises to a customer, and if they do they can be void. Nice company. Im certainly going to do all I can to get my estimated $1000.00 of damage reimbursed, and I hope this is a warning to anyone else who wishes to deal with these people. They are all nice and cheerful until there is a problem and thats when the rules change.

Check out the other negitive comments out there, I have found some.  I had only looked into them first, I may have went with another company.

Beware of Official Heating and Cooling in Mchenry

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2010 07:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Official-Heating-Cooling-Inc/Mchenry-Illinois-60050/Official-Heating-Cooling-Inc-Water-Damage-to-Home-wont-take-Responsibility-even-thoug-567844. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Official Heating & Cooling, Inc

New Owners

AUTHOR: Mr - ()

Yes, these are new owners and I have confirmed that. Best of luck

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Official is under new ownership!!

AUTHOR: Official Heating and Cooling - ()

As the new owner of Official Heating & Cooling, the complaint while under previous ownership concerns me and though I am glad to see the original author of the complaint now states "matter reseolved" I regret that it is something he experienced.  I purchased the business in September of 2011 and we work very hard to keep all of our customers happy and satisfied.  We have excellent ratings with Angies List, the BBB as well as many very positive customer referrals and I personally am always available to answer any questions or address any concerns that any customer may have. Please feel free to contact me at adam@officialhvac.com

Matter Resolved

AUTHOR: Mr Scott - (United States of America)

Official Heating and Cooling finally settled with a cash settlement. Although the settlement was less than my ceiling damage, Im happy to be getting anything at all. Settled Feb 18, 2010.

Official Heating and Cooling - Update Report

AUTHOR: Mr Scott - (United States of America)

Official Heating and Cooling installed a Humidifier in my home. Roughly 3 weeks later something malfunctioned or wasnt installed correctly and the unit had caused water damage to my ceiling and walls. They sent a technician out to look at the problem and it was reported that a part on the April Air humidifier was defective and that is what caused the problem.

My main concern and first question to the technician was, are you going to take care of the water damage? The technician replied yes, and told me to contact someone named Mary. Mary had me take photographs and get three Estimates which I had to arrange. After waiting for a few weeks I received an email from Mary to be patient and that the claim was still being processed.

About three weeks later the Humidifier produced another leak on a different part of the system. This forced me to make another call to get that taken care of. While on the phone with some gentleman, I asked if Mary was in so I could follow up on my initial claim. She was not in yet due to heavy snow, so I called back 20 minutes later. When talking to Mary about my claim she responded by saying Didnt you get my E-mail? I responded back with no, I didnt receive any e-mail from you. Which I never did. Apparently this e-mail described is some fashion that the claim was denied. I was told it didnt say why and that basically there was nothing they could do or would do about it.

Between the technician and Mary I was pretty sure I had that taken care of, but now all of a sudden everything changed. It was earlier explained that Official Heating and cooling was going through the manufacturer to get reimbursement, and originally I assumed it was through Officials Insurance. But either way, one of the two should cover it and honor their verbal agreement.

I tried talking to the manager or owner, who never identified his position, but he clearly and abrasively told me that its just the way things go some times and I was out of luck. He mentioned that he himself was surprised that the claim was denied, he was actually shocked. I began to explain the agreement we had but I was more or less talked over. I could not reason or come to any understanding with this man. I told him that if they were not going to honor their agreement, that I would have no choice but to take it to small claims court. After that I asked for his name and he wouldnt give it to me. Actually he said I was threatening him and he hung up on me. Later I found out his name was Frank.

I still had a new leak on the system and it had to be fixed because it was actually spraying water, so I called back Official Heating to see if I still had an appointment because I figured Frank would probably cancel it. I was right, he did (wonderful business practice).

I talked to him on the phone and he said they just dont deal with people like me. By the way, I had never raised my voice, swore or said anything offensive to anyone; I just wanted recourse on my flood damage. I mentioned to Frank that I did have a 1 year labor warranty, and they just cant refuse me service because they dont like me. An appointment was set. At this point I have had it with Official and Frank.

I called a local competitor who actually walked me through the problem and helped me fix the leak. The competitor told me that the technician who installed the saddle valve to the water heater never tightened down the nut all the way, not even close. He also mentioned that the first problem I had was probably due to an installation error than more likely a part malfunction, which would explain why April Air would not file the claim.

I wish to also note that during the installation of the humidifier the wrong one was first installed. After the technician put it in, he realized that there was no room for the door to open to install the filter. So it had to be taken all apart and a new unit had to be delivered to my house and a different unit installed. It was a very long installation, maybe 5 hours.

These random discoveries lead me to believe it was negligence that caused all my problems, and not a part. However there is no proof of that. The fact of the matter is that Official Heating and Cooling should pay for my water damage either way. I will see them in small claims court, but I doubt I have much of a chance of getting anything based on the disclaimer on their invoice. In simple terms, it mentions that no Official employee has any authority to warranty or make any promises to a customer, and if they do they can be void. Nice company.
 I will later comment on the exact wording when I have the document in front of me.

Im certainly going to do all I can to get my estimated $1000.00 of damage reimbursed, and I hope this is a warning to anyone else who wishes to deal with these people. They are all nice and cheerful until there is a problem and thats when the rules change. There are some other posts out on the internet relating to their bad business practice, just do a search.

How they have an a+ rating with the Better Business Bureau is anyones guess, but I plan on write them as well. I will note that I had done business with them two times prior to this incident and I had no issues. But when things go bad, dont count on them to admit or reimburse any damages.

I would still like to see the e-mail I was supposed to receive from Mary, and I would also like to see the official (no pun intended) copy of the claim denial from April Air. Until I see that, I suppose all that might have been fabricated. If or when Official Heating shows me those documents, I will correct this part of my post. Until then I will consider the whole reimbursement issue questionable.
Scott H