Complaint Review: Oldham Property Management

• Updated: Sat, August 02, 2014

• Reported By: jpick1970 — San Antonio Texas
Oldham Property Management
13307 Westbury Way Goshen , Kentucky USA

Oldham Property Management 13307 Westbury WayGoshen KY 40026 How Oldham Prop Manageement Stole My Security Deposit in San Antonio Texas Goshen Kentucky

*Author of original report: The Matter Has Been Resolved

*Author of original report: Seeking Justice Via Administrative Process

*Author of original report: Youtube Video of my Ripoff by Oldham Property Management (Tom and Patricia Bushman)

*Author of original report: re yard

*Consumer Comment: Forgot to add

*Consumer Comment: Security Deposit

*Author of original report: Rip Off Continued Part 2 -

*Author of original report: Rip Off Continued....

I rented a home from Oldham Property Management from 7/12-6/14 in San Antonio TX. The firm, run by Thomas and Patricia Bushman, just sent me back a 'security deposit' of $337.00. I was owed $1745.00. Here is how they arrived at this number, and my response to each item:

1. Carpet cleaning - $280.37

I had the carpet cleaned in late April after move out, and it was in the same condition as when we moved in - old and worn. This house had been rented several times before us and was worn and outdated inside.

2. Front yard landscaping - $645.00

I was going to have the mulch done on the front myself, and Mr. Bushman said by phone, don't do anything else I'l take care of it. Without telling me, he had mulch and flowers put in and leaves removed, all being charged to me. I never, ever would have agreed to this if he had told me what he intended. He also had flowers put in at my expense. No flowers were there when we moved in.

3. Backyard leaf removal - $50

I spent hours removing leaves out of the backyard and would have finished the job, if I knew we were being charged $50. I was never told about the charges to me.

4. Damage to baseboards in laundry: $500 approx:

The water heater was old and leaking, and the washer valve was old and leaking. The Bushmans had them fixed, and the resulting damage is not my responsibility. Those items were old and worn upon move in.

5 General damage to walls and baseboard-$500 approx

The walls were beaten up and the baseboards were dirty when we moved in. We actually told his cleaners that the baseboards were filthy and they didn't do anything.

In sum, I have been denied the return of my security deposit for no reason at all. I am happy to pull this report when this matter is concluded. Thanks for reading.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/02/2014 08:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Oldham-Property-Management/Goshen-Kentucky-40026/Oldham-Property-Management-13307-Westbury-WayGoshen-KY-40026-How-Oldham-Prop-Manageement-1166871. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Oldham Property Management

The Matter Has Been Resolved

AUTHOR: jpick1970 - ()

The matter has been resolved. Thank you.

Seeking Justice Via Administrative Process

AUTHOR: jpick1970 - ()

I am the process of obtaining justice in this matter via administrative process. I will let you all know how this goes. Thanks.

AUTHOR: jpick1970 - ()

A youtube video about Oldham Property Management in Goshen KY (Tom and Patricia Bushman) who have ripped me off of my security deposit for over $1400:

re yard

AUTHOR: jpick1970 - ()

It states that the tenant should maintain the yard, including debris removal. It does not specifically mention mulch, which is what he charged me for. However, I was GOING to mulch at my cost, before he did it for me to the tune of $645. And the flowers are totally egregious as there were none when I moved in. Unless they didn't charge me for those.....the invoice I have does not break down the landscape charges.

Forgot to add

AUTHOR: Giselle - ()

What does your lease say about leaf removal and front yard landscaping? If there is nothing in the lease that states you are responsible for this, they can't just add on charges like that. To give you an example, I rented a house once and in my lease, I agreed that I would have the fireplace professionally cleaned upon moving out. Even though I had not used the fireplace in the course of 12 months, I was still required, because of what I had signed, to hire a professional, pay them $125 and present the receipt to the landlord. Now, if the landlord had come at me with a charge for leaf removal, I would have fought that because the lease did not specifiy I was responsible for ensuring a 'leaf-free' yard upon move-out.

Security Deposit

AUTHOR: Giselle - ()

I use to work for a large property management company (not the one mentioned in your report) that had approximately 200 properties in about 15 different states. I can tell you first hand that many apartment communities will indeed try to keep as much as your security deposit as possible. I know the one that I worked at certainly did.

If it were me, I would send them a letter via trackble method, i.e. certified, fedex, UPS, etc and dispute the amount you were refunded.  State the reasons why you are disputing and attach any proof, i.e. carpet cleaning receipt, photos you took when you moved in of pre-existing damage, etc.  You are suppose to to be given a form that documents damage you find upon moving in, that is signed and returned to the office. Do you have a copy of this? I have seen many a person save their deposit by producing this form that clearly documented something was already damaged when they moved in.

These people have to allow for reasonable wear and tear and they know this. State the amount of refund you are expecting and give them a deadline (5 business days is reasonable) in which to respond. Request a response in writing. This is so when you have to take them to small claims court, you will have your paper trail.

Regarding them possibly with-holding part of the deposit because you might owe them rent, that is illegal. The law does not allow a landlord to use your deposit in place of rent. Again, these people know that too. You can't be in the business and not know these basic things.

Rip Off Continued Part 2 -

AUTHOR: jpick1970 - ()

I did neglect to send the carpet cleaning receipt until July. That's on me. However, I told him several times by email that the carpet had been cleaned. I can provide the emails I sent with time stamps. It is absurd that they had the carpet recleaned. It was totally unnecessary. I saw the condition of the carpet after it was cleaned and it was just as good (old and worn) as upon move in.

Rip Off Continued....

AUTHOR: jpick1970 - ()

What I anticipate they will say is that I paid our last month on the lease late. True, we moved out and were in another house and paid the last month late. They were paid in full. That issue has nothing whatsoever to do with denying us our deposit back.

I actually sent our kid over there to water flowers (that Bushman charged us for!!!!!) and to cut grass after we left. And heck I offered to go over AFTER our lease was up to help him! And he did this to us? How sad.