Complaint Review: Olympus Imaging Corp.

• Submitted: Mon, May 16, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, May 16, 2011

• Reported By: translatoram — Riverside California United States of America
Olympus Imaging Corp.
3500 Corporate Pkwy, Center Valley, Pennsylvania United States of America

Olympus Imaging Corp. My new, $60 Olympus VN-5200 PC recorder lost audio after a year - its website has "URL error" for all complaints. Center Valley, Pennsylvania

I really tried to register this complaint with the Olympus Imaging Corporation first - on their website set up for that purpose (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_productquestions.asp).

But after a couple of tries and receiving the message: "An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator." --I decided that was just their way of sidestepping a non-profit generating service.

My complaint reads:

A couple of years ago now, I purchased a new VN-5200 PC recorder from a Radio Shack. I was very happy with it, using it every week to record my class sessions and categorize my files and download my recordings onto my computer. But all of a sudden last year when I it the playback, the volume would not sound loud enough and remained at a very low level. So - after a year of moderate usage it it quit working in the audio function. It still records, but I can't hear it.

This was really very frustrating to me, and I just want to register a complaint. Are these devices only meant to work for a year and then just quit? Do you expect to keep customers like this????

That is my question. I know the answer: 'Unfortunately, your product is no longer under warranty; therefore, Ms. so-n-so, we cannot help you. We apologize for your inconvenience.... better luck next time ... watch both ways when crossing the street....

I got a year's worth of use out of the $60 device. Is that really right? Do all the devices get the same problem? Or do you just have them malfunction in various ways - so that they don't all lose a certain function? But different malfunctions on different lot numbers - so not everybody gets the same 'bad apple'?

I ask this because every one of the electronic products I have purchased since 2000 seem to do the same thing: a Sony boombox, a Zenith video-TV, a Sony cassette-to-cassette recorder, another individual cassette recorder, all purchased brand new and non-functional within a year. Not your brand, but the same genre. I do not mistreat my possessions. They were gently cared for - but stopped working, regardless.

How long should a digital hand-held recorder last with moderate use?

Can you tell me that? I need to purchase another one; so I need to know what I can expect. Your input would be appreciated.---End of complaint.

Needless to say, the fact that anytime a customer purchases a brand-new item and treats it carefully, uses it moderately and as prescribed, he/she should be able to expect to get some good use from it for longer than a year. That is my opinion. I don't know where this complaint goes, but it feels good just to let others know and beware when buying an Olympus product. Get a 5-year service contract!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/16/2011 10:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Olympus-Imaging-Corp/Center-Valley-Pennsylvania-18034/Olympus-Imaging-Corp-My-new-60-Olympus-VN-5200-PC-recorder-lost-audio-after-a-year-i-729836. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Olympus Imaging Corp.

eventually