Complaint Review: OmniTech Support

• Submitted: Fri, March 16, 2012
  • Updated: Mon, January 25, 2016

• Reported By: blujnbabee — San Diego California United States of America
OmniTech Support

OmniTech Support Fix Now A supposed Microsoft affiliated computer diagnostic service, Internet

Hello, today I had an issue with my computer.  I had downloaded IE9 but saw that my videos didn't play and I had other issues (besides not being familiar with the layout of the home page).

I did a restore to 3/14/12, and realized that I had no Norton Internet Security protection.  It disappeared from my task bar, and the icon on the destop did not work.   I discovered that it was on my computer but was not complete.   After searching for MS support, I "thought" I was calling a Microsoft number, but ended up with OmniTech Support/Fix Now via remote access on the computer.   After about 5 minutes or so I was told that my files were corrupt (that I had a Polymorphic virus) and I had to pay a "nominal fee" to fix the issue.

I asked how much that would cost, and was told $69.99 PLUS a fee of $129.99 to protect my computer from further issues.   Knowing that I already paid for Norton Security, I was thinking "Why would I pay to have my computer fixed when I already had a security program?"  "Mark" said my security program wouldn't cover that kind of damage.   Well, I declined their offer and hung up on the guy so he would no longer be able to take a look around freely on my computer while we were having this discussion.

At the same time I was on with OmniTech Support, I had called the number that was listed with the transaction that showed my purchase of Norton, and got them on the phone and the issue was fixed within about 1/2 hour of remote access, and found that there WAS NO virus whatsoever and this was a totally blatent attempt to scam money from me.

These people really believe that you are stupid and can't make decisions for yourself!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/16/2012 08:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/OmniTech-Support/internet/OmniTech-Support-Fix-Now-A-supposed-Microsoft-affiliated-computer-diagnostic-service-Inte-855133. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on OmniTech Support