Complaint Review: Omnitech Support

• Submitted: Thu, February 16, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, January 24, 2016

• Reported By: Steve — Lompoc California United States of America
Omnitech Support

Omnitech Support Barry OMNITECH SUPPORT: LIARS AND THIEVES (I can prove both) Internet

*UPDATE Employee: To prove the allegations are false against us, we have given the chat transcript and anyone can judge where the truth lies and who may be trying to get something for nothing.

*Author of original report: Update: 02-20-12

On Wed., Feb.15, 2012 I telephoned Microsoft support about system errors that occurred after a M/S update, including not being able to open WORD documents. They connected me to Omnitech Support. I spent two hours in a computer-sharing dialogue with rep."Barry", during which time he cleaned some polymorphs from my system, then stated that I could no longer use word. I told Barry that my contract with Omnitech stated "no resolution, no payment" and that I wanted a refund for my $79.99.

He argued with me for a long time and tried on three occasions to trick me into saying "okay" (authorizing payment-due procedure) THAT'S THE THIEVERY. I told him, resove issue first, payment after. He argued with me more. And more and more. Finally, he installed the most second-rate, unstable world processing program I've ever seen and told me that "It does everything WORD does" THAT'S THE LIE. After two minutes of testing the program, I told Barry that it was garbage, and I wasn't going to pay $79. [continued below]....
.....99 for it. He argued more. And more.

Two-hour story made short, I ended up paying him $35 for the cleaning, with a refund of $45 (that I will believe when I see it).  For two hours this jerk did everything within his power to lie, cheat or coerce me into paying $79.99 for an unresolved issue that their contract says I owe nothing for. I have the entire dialogue on record, and am sending it to the BBB (with whom Omnitech is "accredited") and to their State Attorney General's office, as soon as I find out what state they are in.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2012 08:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Omnitech-Support/internet/Omnitech-Support-Barry-OMNITECH-SUPPORT-LIARS-AND-THIEVES-I-can-prove-both-Internet-840565. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Omnitech Support

Mr. Robert Smith called us on February 15, 2012 saying that Microsoft Word Starter was not working after the Windows updates were downloaded in his computer. Our representative handled the call and assisted him to get connected to our technician. Then our technician handled the chat session and requested for one time remote access to his computer. The customer told that he had another issue: My antivirus ESES.NOD found three files it considered dangerous two weeks ago. Since they were deleted I get a constant prompt that reads: "The application was unable to start correctly
(0xc0150002). Click OK to close the application". Then the customer granted one time remote access to our technician.

After getting the remote access, our technician checked the customers computer and found several polymorphic infections that had made unwanted changes in the Microsoft Office starter data registry along with Windows security registry and also had corrupted some of the core system files.

The same thing was conveyed to the customer.

In addition to that our technician informed the customer that, as the core files of the Microsoft Word starter got corrupted and the registry keys also got corrupted, we could not completely assure that the Word starter 2010 installed in his computer could be fully recovered. Then our technician told the customer that he would try the Maximum effort to get back the Microsoft Word 2010 starter installed in the computer and would surely remove all the infections present in the computer in order to safe guard other applications installed in the computer. Next, our technician informed that as there was no Download available for Microsoft Word starter 2010, the customer needs to contact the Vendor to get back the Microsoft Word starter 2010 in his computer. Then the customer agreed to that.

We offered our system assurance plan to the customer and the customer informed that he wished to fix that issue only. Therefore, we offered two resolutions at $79.99 ($45+$34.99) which was at most economic for anyone. The customer agreed and paid us $79.99.

Below is the chat transcript:

12:28 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: As the core files of the Microsoft
Word starter has got corrupted and the registry keys also got corrupted, I
can't completely assure that the Word starter 2010 installed in your computer
can be fully recovered.

12:28 AM Customer: if not, what are my options to use get it
back

12:29 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: I will try the Maximum effort to get
back the Microsoft Word 2010 starter installed in your computer and I'll surely
remove all the infections present in your computer in order to safe guard other
applications installed in your computer.

12:30 AM Customer: thank you. i'll do my best to see that this doesn't happen again
12:30 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: You are welcome, as there is no Download available for Microsoft Word starter 2010, you need to contact the Vendor to get back the Microsoft Word starter 2010 in your computer.
12:30 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: I need to manually isolate the infected registry key, remove the malware, and regenerate the registry value, hence, would require 30-40 minutes to completely fix this issue.
12:30 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: Will that be okay with you?
12:31 AM Customer: on problem
12:31 AM Customer: no problem
12:31 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: Robert, we have a nominal charge to fix the current issue.
12:32 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: However, I would recommend you to go with the Assurance Plan as Optimization is a must to prevent such infections and also the Assurance plan will save you a lot of hassles and a lot of money in the year to come if you sign up now.
12:32 AM Customer: which is?
12:32 AM Customer: what is the charge
12:46 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: The nominal charge for fixing the current issue is just $79.99 as it requires some advanced troubleshooting steps to fix the issue completely in your computer.
12:46 AM Customer: okay.
12:46 AM Customer: thank you
12:48 AM Customer: this session only
12:48 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: Okay, let me open the payment page for $79.99 where you can provide the billing info.
12:49 AM FIXNOW- Tech 26: May I go ahead?
12:49 AM Customer: go

Then the chat was escalated to our senior technician to resolve the issue. Our senior technician tried to repair Microsoft Word Starter but failed. Therefore, technician performed required troubleshooting steps and removed all the virus infections from the customers computer. Then our technician suggested the customer install Oracles Open Office Suite.  This is a free suite of programs that can work with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.  It is an excellent program developed by trusted company.   The customer agreed and we installed Open Office for his convenience.

However, the customer was not happy with the resolution as he was not satisfied with the appearance of copied web pages contents. We explained that he could adjust these in Open Office, but he could not or would not understand.  It is absolutely UNTRUE that he could not do a print screen function in Open Office!    The customer wanted something for nothing.  He was given that, and he still was not satisfied.  If he wants another copy of the very limited Microsoft Starter program he needs to contact Microsoft.  He also didnt understand that the free Open Office program is more content rich than Microsoft Office Starter.

Then the customer requested for refund. We informed him that we would charge $34.99 for infection removal (which, by industry standards is a HUGE bargain!) and the remaining $45 would be refunded within 3-4 business days, depending on the speed of his banks compliance. The customer at last agreed.

Below is the chat transcript:

1:59 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert, I'm sorry to inform you that I am unable to retrieve the Microsoft Office Starter for you.
2:00 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: The core system files for Microsoft Office Starter has been corrupted by the polymorphic infections in your computer.
2:00 AM Customer: OKay, I have a contract that if the issue cannot be resolved, I receive a full refund of my $79.99 payment for this session.
2:00 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: I have removed the infections, but I'm unable to retrieve Microsoft Office Starter for you.
2:00 AM Customer: thank you
2:01 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: I will go ahead install Open Office for you which has the same functionalities and you can use it without any problem.
2:01 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Would that be okay with you?
2:02 AM Customer: that's fine, as long as it will open and operate the old "starter" files that i am in the middle of
2:02 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Sure Robert, you can use all the files using Open Office.
2:02 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: May I go ahead and install Open Office for you now.
2:03 AM Customer: what is the difference between open office and
ms word?
2:03 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: The difference is the appearance of the program. Open Office has almost all the functionalities of Microsoft Word.
2:04 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Please do not worry, Open Office is a user friendly program and it will be very easy to use.
2:04 AM Customer: will open office be available to me for free for the life of the computer
2:04 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Yes Robert, it is free and will be available always.
2:04 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: May I go ahead and install Open Office for you now.
2:05 AM Customer: Okay. I accept. thank you
2:51 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Thank you for being online.
2:51 AM Robert S. Smith: okay
2:51 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert, I have installed Open office for you and it is working as expected. Please have a check and confirm
2:52 AM Robert S. Smith: please stand by for a quick test..........
2:54 AM Robert S. Smith: how do i open a new "word" type document
2:56 AM Robert S. Smith: I'm sorry - this is not compatable. It does not function like word starter. I cannot copy/paste webpages as before, and that is necessary to my work.
2:56 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert please do not worry you can use Open office as like Ms Office.

2:57 AM Robert S. Smith: this is just a text doc - I already have that
2:59 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert you can copy/paste the web page as like Ms word.
3:00 AM Robert S. Smith: already tried - wordstarter reproduces all photos, tables, fonts EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL WEBPAGES. This is nothing but a text document that destroys all formulation. NOT ACCEPTABLE.
3:00 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Please stay online.
3:00 AM Robert S. Smith: THANK you - I appreciate your efforts
3:11 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert, I have pasted webpage in Open Office now. Please have a check.
3:11 AM Robert S. Smith: please standby.....
3:14 AM Robert S. Smith: sorry - please show me again how to find a new "word" document
3:14 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert you can use Open office writer to work like MS word.
3:16 AM Robert S. Smith: Disapointing, but possibly okay. LET ME SHOW YOU HOW WORD STARTER copies a webpage
3:17 AM Robert S. Smith: a little better than this, but similar.
3:18 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert, you can use all the features that is in Microsoft Office Starter.
3:18 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: The difference is just the appearance.
3:18 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Is that okay with you to use Open Office.
3:18 AM Robert S. Smith: Except that the copy/paste is not as correct to original copied documents as it is in word starter.
3:19 AM Robert S. Smith: very close, but not as good. in otherwords: a downgrade.
3:26 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert, shall I go ahead and install Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 trial for you now.
3:26 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: It will be valid for 60 days. You will be able to use the features for the next 60 days.
3:26 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Would that be okay with you?
3:27 AM Robert S. Smith: I prefer to settle my payment issue first. I am not authorizing anything else until that is taken care of. MS suite is a PURCHASE, that does not fall under "support"
3:27 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: I will help you in installing Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Trial for you now.
3:27 AM Robert S. Smith: NO. NOT AUTHORIZELD
3:29 AM Robert S. Smith: I have no problem considering a purchase. I do have a problem with being charged $79.99 for an issue that was not resolved. FIRST THINGS FIRST, please.
3:29 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert, let me inform you that Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Trial is a free version. You can use the Microsoft Office Home and Student without any hazzles.
3:29 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: May I go ahead.
3:30 AM Robert S. Smith: For how long?
3:30 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: This trial will be valid for 60 days.
3:31 AM Robert S. Smith: WORDSTARTER WAS FOREVER. Issue is not resolve. I will NOT authorize purchases or limited trials to replace a "lifelong" program. Period.
3:35 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Your computer was infected with many polymorphic infections, which I have removed now.
3:35 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: As these infections have been removed, your computer is safe and secure now.
3:36 AM Robert S. Smith: I agree,and I thank you. But I still do not have a program compatable to what I had. Issue not resolved.
3:37 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: We do have a nominal charge for infections removal.
3:38 AM Robert S. Smith: I have a contract in my files. It states clearly "resolved or no charge.
3:38 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: The nominal charge for infection removal is $34.99, so I will go ahead and initiate a refund for the remaining charge right away.
3:40 AM Robert S. Smith: I accept. On the condition that refund is issued before this session is closed.
3:41 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Robert Please let em inform you that I will send a request for refund the $45 to your account it will take around 3 to 5 business day to process your request.
3:42 AM Robert S. Smith: I understand. that is fine as long as you verify after making the request that your request "has been" made before we close. Thank you.
3:44 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Please do not worry I will send a Request for refund of $45 to you now. also I will provide our toll free number you can contact us for further assistance.
3:45 AM Robert S. Smith: thank you. tell me when you have done so, and we can complete the session.
3:45 AM Robert S. Smith: I will wait.
3:45 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: Please do not worry I have send the request to our Billing department you will get back your $45 with in 3-4 business day.
3:46 AM Robert S. Smith: Thank you. Please, give me that toll-free number?
3:47 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: you can get back to us later.
 Please visit http://www.omnitechsupport.com
and click on Live Chat.
You can also contact us at our toll FREE number: 1800-966-9940
3:48 AM MS- L1- Tech 14: May I end the session now?
3:48 AM Robert S. Smith: Thank you. Like I said, I do appreciate all of your work. Have a nice day.
3:48 AM Robert S. Smith: Yes, thank you

As per the customers request, on February 16, 2012 we quickly process a refund of $45 after deducting $34.99 for the service rendered by us. Then we sent a mail and informed the customer about the refund status. On the same day we called the customer but it reached voice mail.

The transaction details of the refund initiated are given below;

Transaction Approved:
------------------------
Auth Code: 300738783
Ref #: 300728760

Afterwards, the customer never contacted us through any source.

In a summary: we clearly mentioned that the Microsoft Word Starter issue might not be resolvable and he needs to contact the Vendor to get back the Microsoft Word starter 2010 in his computer. With the proper understanding, of the issue and its resolution, the customer paid us $79.99. At no point of time and no where our technician assured the customer that $79.99 was for the
Microsoft Word Starter issue resolution.

All the allegations made by this customer are baseless. We neither argued with him nor tricked him to agree anything or to pay us. The Open Office was installed solely after the customers permission and acknowledgment for his convenience. It was never stated that we would charge him for installation of Open Office and we have not charged him for that. Logically and technically, Open Office cannot be the same as Microsoft Word Starter, and that was conveyed to the customer many occasions by our technician. We tried every possibility to make the customer happy and satisfied, being very professional throughout the entire interaction/process.

Now, after seeing the update for the previous most groundless complaint, this person hasnt left any option for us, but to say that he may have troubles understanding computers. This person initially stated us that he had another issue: My antivirus ESES.NOD found three files it considered dangerous two weeks ago. Since they were deleted I get a constant prompt that reads:
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150002). Click OK to close the application" which clearly could not be caused by our technicians work.

If this person is claiming so then its not acceptable as our technicians worked through remote access and its a very transparent process where the customer can see each and every steps performed by our technicians.

Its not true that every time the customer is right. Who knows how the customer downloaded the Windows updates that made Microsoft Word Starter unusable?  We are also not sure if he was running an authorized version of Microsoft Word Starter, as an unauthorized version could cause all the subsequent issues on his computer. Thats why, in first occasion, we suggested to him that he purchase Microsoft Word Starter from authorized vendor.

After reviewing this complaint, wonder if some people are trying to mislead our potential customers from getting help at the most affordable price. Mr. Smith is free to complaint anywhere, as we can prove that the fair service had been provided for the payment that was made by him.

We are proud of the fact that we have earned and maintain an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.

Update: 02-20-12

AUTHOR: Steve - (United States of America)

On 2/16/2012 I filed a report about a terrible experience with Omnitech Support. This is an update:

The day after Omnitech's support, I began getting a prompt reading "error communicating with kernel".  I waited for a couple of days to see what would happen. Two days later I found that Omnitech's work had PERMANENTLY disabled my Windows firewalls, my expensive anti-virus program, and Heaven knows what else at this point.  The computer is in far worse shape now than before their work on it, and l now I have to take it in to have Windows 7 reloaded. Restoring my programs is going to be a nightmare because I am not a geek, and the cost will certainly be quite high. All I can say is, if you hear the name "Omnitech," run as fast as you can and pray they don't find you.