Complaint Review: Oncor

• Updated: Sat, August 25, 2012

• Reported By: Susan — Plano Texas United States of America
Oncor
1616 Woodall Rodgers Fwy. # 2M-012 Internet United States of America

Oncor created a major issue with my home and work computers pulling my meter with no warning. Internet

*Consumer Comment: Surprising

*Consumer Comment: Anyone having ANY kind of computer, and ESPECIALLY a work computer...

Yesterday I was working from home when my doorbell rang. I went to the door and looked out the window to see a large man with a yellow bag standing on my front porch. Since I was home alone, I had no intention of opening my door to this man. No truck in site and no visible identification on him. He took something out of his bag, leaving the bag on my walkway and headed over to the side of my house getting ready to hop my fence.

I banged on a window and got his attention when he told me he was from Oncor. His untucked work shirt did not identify him representing Oncor nor was there a truck in site. His shirt actually had a different name displayed. He said he was going to replace my meter by hoping over my 8 foot locked fence. I called our neighborhood security who confirmed Oncor had been in the neighborhood all week doing this and they had received 100's of calls.

I explained to the worker that 3 years ago when we bought the house we paid to have a digital meter installed since the side of our house was gated and locked, and we didn't need a new one. He said it didn't matter that he had been instructed to replace them all. It took two minutes and he was gone. However, once I went back into the house, my work computer had been shut down and I lost all my work.  At the end of the day when I tried to sign back onto my home computer, it was damaged from the sudden power interruption.

It was very unprofessional of Oncor not to warn their customers that they would be doing this work and the fact it may cause problems with certain equipment such as computers. Had I not been home to know what happened, I may have experienced unnecessary and costly computer repairs. I just wonder how many other people this affected.  As a common courtesy any company that plans to make repairs or upgrades to for a customer's property should notify the customer first.  In fact, it should be mandatory for the safety of the worker if nothing else.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/25/2012 11:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Oncor/internet/Oncor-created-a-major-issue-with-my-home-and-work-computers-pulling-my-meter-with-no-warn-932475. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Oncor

Surprising

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

Personal computers have been around now for about 30 years and surprisingly, people STILL do not have current backups, UPS's, Virus scanners, Firewalls or Spyware scanners.

They are all cheap and easy to implement and there is no excuse.

I have been caught not backing up documents properly myself and have lost data.  I blame no one but myself, I certainly know better.

Changing the meter should not be as disruptive as losing power during a lightning storm so it seems odd that just shutting down the power would damage the hardware.

Anyone having ANY kind of computer, and ESPECIALLY a work computer...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

is careless beyong belief, NOT to have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Source) for it.  AC power, ONCOR's or anyones can go out at any time. ...Yes, without "warning." You carelessly risked your data and hopefully have learned from this. Any damage your computers incurred could have been fully prevented with a UPS.

They are reasonably priced, starting at about $60 for a good one.

The "damage" to your home computer is really rare as the power was not disconnected and immediately re-connected. The delay in installing the new meter should have circumvented most surge problems...although not always.  Your comment about them notifying their customers "for worker safety" is unfounded.  YOU were in NO danger whatsoever.

Good luck to you...ONCOR did nothing wrong.  You KNEW he was going to change the meter, but you took no action to protect your property by saving your work and powering down. No, I DON'T work for ONCOR.